HILLSBOROUGH - THE ULTIMATE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY GROUND PHOTO THREAD

7 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

TBF - The leppings lane end on the first pic is a thing of beauty IMO

it really is...  imagine it in the Prem full of HOME fans and away fans in the corner....   All four sides Wednesday......  we can all but dream....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HopefulOwl said:

this is what she SHOULD look like....  if she did it means we are in the Prem.....

index2.jpg

index1.jpg

index.jpg

That would have been great, an evolution of the old girl, creating a modern stadium while still keeping its character, every stadium has to evolve..  I don't know even if we were in the prem if we need a stadium as large as ours, not sure if we could turn some of the seating into more modern corporate boxes, although not sure if they would sell..  

I hate to say it though but I think Sheff Utd have actually got the better idea, having something like a hotel attached to the stadium that would help pay for the maintenance seems like a good idea..  We could probably make more of our facilities for conferences etc, I think more was being done before covid..

• Like 1

Will be an unpopular opinion on here, but the ground has absolutely nothing going for it.

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

The whole area is in decline commercially 

It’s a constant risk of flooding 

The stadium is outdated 

The facilities are a shambles 

The name of our ground is synonymous with the biggest stadium tragedy in English football.

Its too big for what we need 

It cost an absolute fortune to run and maintain.

There’s no income steam from any other avenues because of the above (local boxing, music concerts ect ect) 

The stadium is done and should have been the first thing on Chansiri’s list.

Its not 1995 anymore 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Always makes me laugh when people say the location is poor. It’s got a major route including trams at the top of the ground and a major route passing the bottom of the ground and a major route coming in at right angles  straight to the ground. 
it’s also in walking distance of thousands of fans. 
In my lifetime as far as I can remember it’s flooded once about 14 years ago. 
The commercially declining area is having a retail development built about 25 yards away from the kop entrance   
it’s only too big because we currently have a useless chairman and manager. 
Everytine I pass the ground (4times today) there are groups of people going in and out doing something that I assume is generating revenue. 

oh and I couldn’t give a to$$ what people outside Sheffield associate the name of our stadium with. 

100%

6 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Will be an unpopular opinion on here, but the ground has absolutely nothing going for it.

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

The stadium is outdated 

The name of our ground is synonymous with the biggest stadium tragedy in English football.

There’s no income steam from any other avenues because of the above (local boxing, music concerts ect ect) 

Its not 1995 anymore 

Look at what's been achieved at

Anfield

Old Trafford

St James Park

Villa Park

The problems at Hillsborough are through years of lack of investment off the pitch and failure on it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

The stadium is outdated 

Its not 1995 anymore 

Few beres nearby though😃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

The stadium is outdated 

Its not 1995 anymore 

Lets just rock up at the peace gardens and get stadium built then

13 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

The stadium is outdated 

Its not 1995 anymore 

apart from that (which I agree with) ...its great tho innit

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

2022_01_13_2543-Edit_HDR_edit.thumb.jpg.28e819887b6bdabaa4d05ed7ab2838d6.jpg

i love our old ground and the fact it isnt like all the new stadiums but...  i do wish we'd at the very least sort some of the old faded cladding out....  the outside doesnt do the inside any justice whatsoever...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

apart from that (which I agree with) ...its great tho innit

Yes, it was a fantastic stadium and still is in some respects.

But taking the tinted glasses off, my opinion only, it’s seen it’s day. 

Do we really need a near 40,000 seater stadium that has can’t even be filled to capacity due to restrictions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Always makes me laugh when people say the location is poor. It’s got a major route including trams at the top of the ground and a major route passing the bottom of the ground and a major route coming in at right angles  straight to the ground. 
it’s also in walking distance of thousands of fans. 

Ahh yes, glad it raised a smile. If by major route you mean dual carriageways then i agree, but where do most of them lead? Up into residential areas such as Middlewood, Shiregreen, Grenoside and Parsons Cross before you get sight of a motorway. Im fairly local to Hillsborough BTW, but what about fans coming from further afar, struggle to park, park for free if you want a 20/25 minute walk. Then there's getting away after the match, another trundle back to your car and a 40 minute wait in traffic whilst the lights change tor yonder on Herries Rd.

Theres tram stops all over Sheffield 

In my lifetime as far as I can remember it’s flooded once about 14 years ago.

That may be, but it still flooded and nearly did again not too long ago.

The commercially declining area is having a retail development built about 25 yards away from the kop entrance

I'll give you that one, they're building an Aldi and a Gym. So a cold bratwurst and a workout will be available pre-match

it’s only too big because we currently have a useless chairman and manager. 

Our average attendance has not been 30,000+ for 30 years, it barely touches 25,000. With the way football is being distributed it is highly likely this will not go back to previous levels with access to online streaming becoming the norm, especially with the younger generation. Ticket sales barely cover anything and the cost of putting on a match swallows up a considerable chunk of that.

Everytine I pass the ground (4times today) there are groups of people going in and out doing something that I assume is generating revenue. 

Thats that then, you saw 12 people walk into Hillsborough on one given day and landed at the assumption they were going into to spend thousands of pounds. They might have been asking for directions to the new Aldi.

On a serious note, my partner was involved in putting events on for the NHS. Hillsborough was chosen as the venue, i went along as you would being a supporter of the club. It was a shambles, yellow ceiling tiles, sticky floor.. all it needed was the lights (that worked) turning off and someone getting fingered in the corner of the room and it was a 90's nightclub, you'd probably get served for a drink in a nightclub though.

Needless to say i doubt they'd be going back

oh and I couldn’t give a to$$ what people outside Sheffield associate the name of our stadium with. 

This one always makes me laugh 🙂. You wouldn't, neither would i, but we don't personally have hundreds of thousands of pounds to pour into a football club for commercial purposes, do i need to mention the ITV drama that was televised this week on national TV once again dragging the location through the mud.