HILLSBOROUGH - THE ULTIMATE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY GROUND PHOTO THREAD

15 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

Will be an unpopular opinion on here, but the ground has absolutely nothing going for it.

Location is poor.

The whole area is in decline commercially 

Harsh on both fronts.

House properties in S6 are above the average for Sheffield and rising.

Retail units popping up all the time both big name (afformentioned retail park) and some brilliant independent bars, cafes and restaurants).

It's a main route for all local public transport (tram and bus) and 2 duel carriageways leading to it from North and south straight off the M1.

Parking around the ground is also way more ample than what is available at the majority of new builds, as access by car isn't a major priority. Problem is people seem obsessed on parking east of the stadium rather than to the west.

Vast majority of what you say is spot on, but remember we are a Sheffield based club. Unless you wanna ask Meadowhall retail Park if we can put a pop up stadium in there, or build a huge road infrastructure around Dore and Totley, it's as good as you could get.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, musingowl said:

Harsh on both fronts.

Retail units popping up all the time both big name (afformentioned retail park) and some brilliant independent bars, cafes and restaurants).

It's a main route for all local public transport (tram and bus) and 2 duel carriageways leading to it from North and south straight off the M1.

Parking around the ground is also way more ample than what is available at the majority of new builds, as access by car isn't a major priority. Problem is people seem obsessed on parking east of the stadium rather than to the west.

Vast majority of what you say is spot on, but remember we are a Sheffield based club. Unless you wanna ask Meadowhall retail Park if we can put a pop up stadium in there, or build a huge road infrastructure around Dore and Totley, it's as good as you could get.

exactly ive often thought about this and when  travel around the only area i ever saw as possible would be the old airport area , but come on where would the fun to be in a faceless new stadium with no local shops business chippy park nearby it would be horrible.. hillsborough is our home if not happy go to manchester . 

• Like 3

On 28/12/2020 at 19:37, Mickjj said:

Great picture of the USA TV channel ABC filming the 200th Steel City derby, September 1966. It ended a 2-2 draw. 

FB_IMG_1609177991280.jpg

I've tried to find footage of this match but no luck. It was 2all draw in front of 43,557.

Notice the cameraman stood on boxes and the guy with the microwave dish, probably relaying the signal to the Emley Moor mast.

Nothing to do with the ground but might be of interest to TV buffs. The television company ABC wasn't the USA TV channel but Associated British Corporation a TV company set up in the 1950's when Independent Television commercial TV was starting out.

image.png.9656d55e7c5259c34ff9452296fb4abc.png

They had the franchise for showing programmes on weekends in the North and Midlands from 1956 to 1967 when the franchises came up for renewal and Yorkshire Television won the franchise for Yorkshire. ABC went for the London midweek franchise and merged bids with Redifussion, they then became Thames TV.

Their last programme in the TV guide.

image.png.52844e71bd332626ffa85460bc710c83.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

F74E57C5-5592-42EF-9FC1-433A560A0908.jpeg

Great pic that. The open fields to the side of Herries Rd..what year 1900 ish?.

No houses at the side of the North stand yet.

Looks like it was in the middle of nowhere...was the Parson Cross estate etc built then...must have been a bit of a trek to get to for a lot of people..

On 13/01/2022 at 22:12, Mac_77 said:

Will be an unpopular opinion on here, but the ground has absolutely nothing going for it.

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

It’s a constant risk of flooding 

The stadium is outdated 

The facilities are a shambles 

The name of our ground is synonymous with the biggest stadium tragedy in English football.

Its too big for what we need 

It cost an absolute fortune to run and maintain.

There’s no income steam from any other avenues because of the above (local boxing, music concerts ect ect) 

The stadium is done and should have been the first thing on Chansiri’s list.

Its not 1995 anymore 

absolutely spot on this, lot needs levelling and relocate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

A few pics of the North and the North being built. Still a thing of beauty. The only football stand to merit a mention in Niklaus Pevsner’s Buildings of England. If anyone is remotely interested the November 1962 edition of The Structural Engineer has an article about the stand’s construction. Written by H. C. Husband, T. Holmshaw and H. C. English (of Husband and Co who designed and built it - they also designed and constructed the 250 ft telescope at Jodrell Bank fact fans)

Anyway the article describes the problems encountered during the design and construction of the stand. You can get a copy of the article for a tenner if so inclined.

FEA29D86-73CE-4650-A655-9AB530E7CEB8.png

62AED82B-E62A-4F66-9C4D-B87A40430E84.png

8FC66609-DF71-460F-81FC-52D590B1CA40.png

145E708C-23FC-49CC-BCD0-00FB0E02CB94.png

2C5A82FC-01D2-4B5A-95E6-5DFF3C388B62.png

756AF111-7ABB-4712-AF10-792A9CA8EB34.png

687A749A-9B20-48FD-92E4-37DB741E3EE4.png

6E8B049D-3C54-430A-8612-C3CC5ACC2BFF.png

2022 and still exactly the same 

22 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Looks like it was in the middle of nowhere...was the Parson Cross estate etc built then...must have been a bit of a trek to get to for a lot of people..

Crazy isn't it!
HArdly anythign there!

Owlstalk Shop

On 13/01/2022 at 22:12, Mac_77 said:

Location is poor.

Parking is sparse

It’s a constant risk of flooding 

The stadium is outdated 

The facilities are a shambles 

The name of our ground is synonymous with the biggest stadium tragedy in English football.

Its too big for what we need 

It cost an absolute fortune to run and maintain.

There’s no income steam from any other avenues because of the above (local boxing, music concerts ect ect) 

The stadium is done and should have been the first thing on Chansiri’s list.

Its not 1995 anymore 

All about opinions on here, so whilst appreciating that this is your opinion, mine is that I love Hillsborough and want us to stay there.  Yes it’s seen better days, but it’s part of who we are and where we’ve come from.  If we ever get chance of getting back in the big time, where we actually have some money to spend on our facilities, then I personally would want that spent on improving what we’ve got.

Cheers & WAWAW 

• Like 7

On 16/01/2022 at 21:23, @owlstalk said:

F74E57C5-5592-42EF-9FC1-433A560A0908.jpeg

22 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

At least the fans then didn't have to worry about the scumbags off the estates trashing their carriages parked on Herries road. They just had to deal with the highwaymen lurking in the trees.

• Haha 2

On 14/01/2022 at 13:58, musingowl said:

Harsh on both fronts.

West Side is terrible to get out of if your travelling east or south after the match. I tried it a few years ago, loads of spaces however being stuck outside park hotel and then on Parkside Road for over 30 minutes was beyond frustrating.

25 minutes ago, SimonJ said:

All about opinions on here, so whilst appreciating that this is your opinion, mine is that I love Hillsborough and want us to stay there.  Yes it’s seen better days, but it’s part of who we are and where we’ve come from.  If we ever get chance of getting back in the big time, where we actually have some money to spend on our facilities, then I personally would want that spent on improving what we’ve got.

Cheers & WAWAW 

Me too! I love Hillsborough and think some Owls are overly critical of the grand old lass. I know we can’t compare ourselves to Liverpool in many ways, but Anfield surely is a great example of what can be done with an old ground. It’s smack in the middle of housing estates, with a big park to one side. Mind you, they haven’t got a river like we have! They’ve chosen to redevelop and not many would argue that Anfield isn’t a superb stadium. Obviously, success has enabled them to do all this, but fair play to them staying at their long term home, rather than ordering a brand new soul less bowl. 

Yes, Hillsborough needs some proper money spending on it and I think if DC were to sell up tomorrow, he would not be able to take any credit for the stadium, let alone anything else, as it’s pretty much as he found it, other than the new scoreboard! 

Still love Hillsborough and just hope that I see it hosting PL football again before my time's up. 
WAWAW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonJ said:

Cheers & WAWAW 

Agree with this

Our home isn’t ideal but if it can be updated to modern specs then I’d prefer that 

IF 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Portia said:

West Side is terrible to get out of if your travelling east or south after the match. I tried it a few years ago, loads of spaces however being stuck outside park hotel and then on Parkside Road for over 30 minutes was beyond frustrating.

I've never found it bad at all if you're willing to give it half hour or so for traffic to die down or just go around the back wacks over Wisewood to take a slightly longer route but one not bumper to bumper with traffic.

I'd much rather that than get the car smashed to bits on Herries Road.

My main point was people being overly critical of the area's ease of access.

Name me another stadium in the country over 10,000 where you can park (for free) as close and get away with ease.

I still have PTSD flashbacks of the car not moving for well over an hour after coming out of St Andrews. 

It comes with the territory of driving to football.

Even your purpose built, retail park, flat pack specials you're gonna hit some traffic.

We ain't got it that bad.

7 hours ago, musingowl said:

I've never found it bad at all if you're willing to give it half hour or so for traffic to die down or just go around the back wacks over Wisewood to take a slightly longer route but one not bumper to bumper with traffic.

I'd much rather that than get the car smashed to bits on Herries Road.

My main point was people being overly critical of the area's ease of access.

Name me another stadium in the country over 10,000 where you can park (for free) as close and get away with ease.

I still have PTSD flashbacks of the car not moving for well over an hour after coming out of St Andrews. 

It comes with the territory of driving to football.

Even your purpose built, retail park, flat pack specials you're gonna hit some traffic.

We ain't got it that bad.

Fair point, you're right that it's part of the territory. 

I think it's more about my personal situation of having to get to work an hour after the final whistle, it limits where I can realistically park and the time I can afford to wait.

I'll research the West Side exit on Google maps 👍🏻

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

2C5A82FC-01D2-4B5A-95E6-5DFF3C388B62.png

The North Stand is still a thing of beauty today. Looking at the picture above,  I wonder how impressive it must have looked when it first opened and what people must have thought of it back then.

• Love 1