Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

5 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Well, the odds are that we won't go up this season. If that happens, then I can't see Carlos keeping his job. Chansiri will have to sack him, purely to maintain hope and sell tickets. The season ticket money matters because FFP is dependent upon it. If we sell fewer season tickets in the summer, then we'll have less wiggle room in the transfer market.

What makes you think CC being in the job will have a big effect on season tickets if we don't go up?

We over achieved last year. We have spent nowhere near enough for automatic this year & playoffs are always a gamble.

DC may have said he wants promotion in 2 years but I think he under estimated how hard & expensive that would be. He wasn't a football man when he made that promise.

Yes we have spent money on a level we haven't seen since the 90's. But in comparison to others we have spent nothing... just look at Derby, Villa, Newcastle & even Wolves.

Reading, Leeds & Huddersfield are simply having a season like we had last year. No one would have seen them in the playoffs or as rivals this year but they are. Leeds have spunked loads in the past few seasons, Reading also spent a fair bit in past seasons too.

We are only in our second year of building. Still around the play off mix & doing better than some parachute payment clubs. It's not all bad.

14 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Well, the odds are that we won't go up this season. If that happens, then I can't see Carlos keeping his job. Chansiri will have to sack him, purely to maintain hope and sell tickets. The season ticket money matters because FFP is dependent upon it. If we sell fewer season tickets in the summer, then we'll have less wiggle room in the transfer market.

I agree with you .

1 minute ago, Stainless1983 said:

This is from the Northern Echo in last hour.

"We made a bid for him (Rhodes) and we went as far as we could," said Bruce. "Nothing has changed. Whether that changes in the next 24 hours, I’m not so sure."

Good sód off mrs doubtfire

5 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

After what Carlos said, I wonder if even a loan is too much.

He is rumoured to be on 65k a week.

FF will be getting the bike out again.

I'd be staggered if Rhodes is on that much. 

He'll be on a fair whack, but 65k...can't see it. 

10 minutes ago, Stainless1983 said:

What makes you think CC being in the job will have a big effect on season tickets if we don't go up?

We over achieved last year. We have spent nowhere near enough for automatic this year & playoffs are always a gamble.

DC may have said he wants promotion in 2 years but I think he under estimated how hard & expensive that would be. He wasn't a football man when he made that promise.

Yes we have spent money on a level we haven't seen since the 90's. But in comparison to others we have spent nothing... just look at Derby, Villa, Newcastle & even Wolves.

Reading, Leeds & Huddersfield are simply having a season like we had last year. No one would have seen them in the playoffs or as rivals this year but they are. Leeds have spunked loads in the past few seasons, Reading also spent a fair bit in past seasons too.

We are only in our second year of building. Still around the play off mix & doing better than some parachute payment clubs. It's not all bad.

What it amounts to is this. Carlos is an attack-minded manager who's realized that we're not good enough/don't have the funds to play that way and go up. So he's trying to play a more conservative style, but it doesn't suit him. It's not his natural game, hence the performances. In fairness, CC was brought in precisely because he is attack-minded, as an antidote to Gray, but for a non-parachute club it's more the Gray approach which is required, even though it's not easy on the eye. We have the playing staff to be doing better than we're doing, although I agree that top 2 was never realistic.

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

karanka seems right miffed in his press conference. Just been asked if JR will still be a Boro player in February. He said " I dont kmow and I dont want to know"

I dont think Karanka will be at Boro much longer. Something happening behind scenes. 

If Karanka becomes available... :stuwinky:

10 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

What it amounts to is this. Carlos is an attack-minded manager who's realized that we're not good enough/don't have the funds to play that way and go up. So he's trying to play a more conservative style, but it doesn't suit him. It's not his natural game, hence the performances. In fairness, CC was brought in precisely because he is attack-minded, as an antidote to Gray, but for a non-parachute club it's more the Gray approach which is required, even though it's not easy on the eye. We have the playing staff to be doing better than we're doing, although I agree that top 2 was never realistic.

I agree re CC being attack minded & not having the players/money for that type of game. But I think we are building towards that. Just taking longer than expected.

The one thing we are crying out for is pace. But every premier team or parachute club will outbid us for this. That leaves us trying to redevelop forgotten players such as McGeady & McManaman. 

If we sack CC & bring in a Karanka or Bruce type manager the style of play will still be boring. They'll still not be able to spend like other clubs do.

I don't think missing out on promotion will result in a loss of season tickets. But it will mean we won't see an increase.

5 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Said it the other day but I still reckon the smart money is on us been finished for incoming players. Hopefully I'm wrong, still 1 or 2 I think we could do with yet.

If we actually tabled a bid for Hourihane we might still be looking for a midfield player, perhaps on loan.

IMO Carlos has been given enough money already to improve the squad this year as he has not had to sell any first team players. It's about time he showed us the money was well spent and started to get the best out of the players he signed. We are not after all living in a gold pool, Carlos.