David Jones

Jones is the Carlos version of a midfield beast.Remember his comments about the bouncer at the discotheque.

We had Hutch doing that at times last season and getting lots of cards and injuries along the way. When Lopez came in as cover I thought the team functioned better.

Today Jones looked like a stronger, more experienced version of the way Lopez played the midfield holding role..

In short, forget talk of a midfield beast while Carlos is in charge.

On 16/10/2016 at 16:03, paddyowl said:

I'm on my own it seems, I thought he was poor, looked nervy in possession but hey what do I know.

I thought he was quiet too. 

Barely heard his name. But the midfield were outstanding and he was at the centre of it so he must have been decent.

I suspect if I rewatch the match he was involved more than I saw first time round.

Jones got caught in possession a couple of times but I have no doubts that in the current squad he should be playing the deeper midfield role most/every game.

I was encouraged by Carlos saying Reach and Jones were now fully integrated into the team. Well I would be if I knew what it meant.

However I will be disappointed if Jones does not start wednesday and we also need to keep Pudil and Reach together down the left. Pudil looked a lot better with Reach in front of him , and Reach looked better further forward, he covered a lot of ground.

Time for some consistency in selection I think.

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

Jones best games will be when you barely notice him. Thought he did well today

This

There used to be a saying "what you might have missed"

And that my friends is Jones in a nutshell

Good solid under rated CM

3 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

He's basically Hutch's replacement in midfield. Yes he won't go flying into challenges like Hutch but will sit deep and protect the back 4. Bit like Carrick did for Man U

That comparison did fleetingly enter my thoughts, but I didn't dare speak it for fear of being ridiculed!

:ph34r:

Its taken him a while to settle in ,but on todays performance he is going to be a vital player for us this season. 

There is no doubting his quality , and he definitely knows what it takes to get out of this division.  

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That comparison did fleetingly enter my thoughts, but I didn't dare speak it for fear of being ridiculed!

:ph34r:

one things for sure he'll be able to play well into his late 30s coz he doesnt move much from the middle .....i think he's a class act and impressed me everytime ive seen him ,

4 hours ago, james o connor said:

Should be starting at home too in place of bannan who is a tad predictable at times.

only really seen jones in the away games but he looks very predictable to me , he breaks play up and lays it off .........totally different player to bannan , if he leaves bannan out for jones for home games  then he's going to have to change the way we play coz i dont see jones playing bannans role .

Just watched the match again, never really noticed Jones first time. He sat in the middle and covered well and allowed Lee to get about and be his usual busy self. These two could be our midfield centre away from Hillsborough and give us base to play from. 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

only really seen jones in the away games but he looks very predictable to me , he breaks play up and lays it off .........totally different player to bannan , if he leaves bannan out for jones for home games  then he's going to have to change the way we play coz i dont see jones playing bannans role .

Jones could play the role that Hutchinson and Lopez performed for us last season, though. That would free Bannan up to play as a more attacking centre mid or to get involved from the flanks as he did for much of last year, as well as providing that vital balance to our side.

5 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

He's basically Hutch's replacement in midfield. Yes he won't go flying into challenges like Hutch but will sit deep and protect the back 4. Bit like Carrick did for Man U

Carrick "protected" the back 4 in much the same way as wrapping yourself in tissue paper would protect you in a violent thunderstorm...