David Jones

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Jones could play the role that Hutchinson and Lopez performed for us last season, though. That would free Bannan up to play as a more attacking centre mid or to get involved from the flanks as he did for much of last year, as well as providing that vital balance to our side.

the only problem with that is that you have to put bannan on the wing and reach i think will have the left spot sewn up .....nice problem to have though .think carlos will go horses for courses and keep chopping and changing depending on who or where we are playing .

I thought Jones was fantastic.  

He's the type of player that can be hard to judge because it's not so much what he does that makes him valuable, but rather what doesn't happen because of his presence in the middle.

And by plugging gaps, tracking players, pressuring the man with the ball, and making interceptions he's constantly disrupting the opposition's flow in midfield. 

A couple of his efforts may have stopped what would have been a goal.  But we'll never know.  And that's what sometimes makes it difficult to judge his impact from the outside looking in. 

I bet the back 4 absolutely love him though, and appreciate that he makes their job a lot easier.

On 17/10/2016 at 01:46, Owl_in_Oz said:

I thought Jones was fantastic.  

He's the type of player that can be hard to judge because it's not so much what he does that makes him valuable, but rather what doesn't happen because of his presence in the middle.

And by plugging gaps, tracking players, pressuring the man with the ball, and making interceptions he's constantly disrupting the opposition's flow in midfield. 

A couple of his efforts may have stopped what would have been a goal.  But we'll never know.  And that's what sometimes makes it difficult to judge his impact from the outside looking in. 

I bet the back 4 absolutely love him though, and appreciate that he makes their job a lot easier.

"Fantastic". Really?

He was fine. He did his job really well. But just like Lopez last year, he (deliberately) lacked ambition and enterprise.

By contrast, Bannan is always looking for the forward pass, and even the defence splitting pass. It is hardly surprising therefore that some of these passes go astray.

Lee is undropable, and on his current form Bannan may miss some aways to allow the excellent Jones in. But at home we need Bannan's ability to get us through a packed midfield and defence.

Didn't notice him all game, then when I watched it back I purposefully looked for him and saw everything he did, basically nullified Huddersfield's attacking through the middle, he's a great defensive minded midfielder for the more difficult teams we'll play this season

Judging by this thread I'm in the minority and it's all about opinions at the end of the day but I thought he was bang average at very best.

The game passed him by for the large parts and when he did have the ball at his feet he treated it like a hot potato. I can't recall any crunching tackles or vital interceptions either. So if your job is to look anonymous and just be 'a body' in front of the back four then I guess he did ok...but certainly not the type of player we needed in that role IMO

3 year contract though...jeez!

On 17/10/2016 at 10:19, Gnarwolf said:

Didn't notice him all game, then when I watched it back I purposefully looked for him and saw everything he did, basically nullified Huddersfield's attacking through the middle, he's a great defensive minded midfielder for the more difficult teams we'll play this season

When I watched it I thought he was anonymous, but you confirm what I guessed, that he had a much greater impact than at first sight.

Just now, Holmowl said:

When I watched it I thought he was anonymous, but you confirm what I guessed, that he had a much greater impact than at first sight.

Yeah, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't see it, just does all the simple things, doesn't make silly mistakes like we have tended to do this season, nothing spectacular, just solid, exactly what we need him to do

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

good player at this level and will certainly be useful until we can sign a midfield beast that we are so desperately missing if we want to compete against the best sides ....

I dont think we will sign a midfield beast. Carlos has his head in the sand... Im just hoping he is right. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

"Fantastic". Really?

He was fine. He did his job really well. But just like Lopez last year, he (deliberately) lacked ambition and enterprise.

By contrast, Bannan is always looking for the forward pass, and even the defence splitting pass. It is hardly surprising therefore that some of these passes go astray.

Lee is undropable, and on his current form Bannan may miss some aways to allow the excellent Jones in. But at home we need Bannan's ability to get us through a packed midfield and defence.

you really have no idea what a defensive midfields role is do you? Stick to FM 2017  lol

I thought Jones was brilliant, I just can't understand how some people didn't notice him.

It was his stuff off the ball. The amount of times you saw the opposition midfielders make a run and him track them - which resulted in that player not even being passed the ball was unbelievable.

It summed him up in the second half when they had an overlap two v one on Pudil, who noticed it and instantly plugged the gap?  Jones instantly.

For me, it is no coincidence that he has started three away matches and we have only conceded one goal in those matches.

It makes it all the more puzzling though why Carlos didn't bring him on when we were 1-0 up at Birmingham.

On 17/10/2016 at 11:30, daveyboy66 said:

you really have no idea what a defensive midfields role is do you? Stick to FM 2017  lol

I was a CDM before it was invented. Energy to burn and could tackle a tank....but not a clue what to do with the ball once I had won it so gave it two yards to the nearest team-mate. Back then I thought I simply lacked skill and vision. Now I realise I was born thirty years too soon and would now be a multi-millionaire pro with Abbey Clancy on my arm and the best push-bike money can buy.

21 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

i bet if you asked the centre backs who they wanted to play in midfield - they'd consider Jones a must.

We are too open with Lee and Bannan in a central two.

Been saying all season we need to move away from Bannan/Lee as a midfield 2. You can't get away with playing without a proper defensive midfielder. Well you can, but not on a regular basis.

I still think there'll be times when Hutch is a better option for that role, but Jones certainly seems more than capable at the moment. I had my doubts but he's starting to prove me wrong. 

Funny how we've reverted back to something like last seasons set up (defensive midfielder, Bannan wide) and we've picked up 2 good away wins.