David Jones

Like every new player Jones has had to adjust to the way that we play, but I don't think he has had a bad game away from home and has gone from strength to strength as our midfield anchor man in recent games. I thought he was quietly awesome in our victory over Blackburn and as good again against Huddersfield, but I did feel before Saturday's game, that Carlos would maybe only play him in away games and a few of the tougher home matches.

Having seen the way QPR played against us though, maybe that is still the case, although he did give Bannan the time and opportunity to create things a bit nearer to the opponent's goal which is great when Bazza is playing his normal game, but Bannan starts messing about it looks as though he thinks he can get away with it, because there is somebody else there other than Lee to clean up the mess when he tries to look clever while giving the ball away. I can't believe people clap him when he just gets away with it and I certainly do not clap him when again on Saturday he gave the opposition two more chances on our goal by not doing the simple thing. Playing silly little passes backwards and forwards around a player trying to make him look silly is not part of winning a game when you have better options available, especially when the "teased" player intercepts the ball, also trying to turn one way then the next and losing it is also unforgivable when the rest of the team is playing the possession game and trying to win the game.

Dave Jones looked reliable in possession, playing both safe short balls and perfectly paced long balls expertly when required and when he Bannan and Lee really start to click the attacking players will have have a glut of opportunities and the defenders will have an easier time than they had previously without him. He is definitely looking like captain material already.

Nice one Dave, WAWAW!  

.             Jones

.       Lee.        Bannan

Reach.                      FF

Then one of Hooper or Fletcher leading the line. Hooper's starting to show that when he's in the mood, he can play that role. 

The sort of setup I've been wanting to see for a while. A nice balance and every player in a position where they should excel. 

We've got Abdi who can slot in for Bannan or Lee. Buckley and Wallace both able to play left or right. Joao, Nuhiu and Matias if we want to switch things up. 

Some fantastic options throughout the squad, and hopefully now a settled system that works rather than the wide open Bannan/Lee, Hooper/Fletcher core.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

14 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

.             Jones

.       Lee.        Bannan

Reach.                      FF

Then one of Hooper or Fletcher leading the line. Hooper's starting to show that when he's in the mood, he can play that role. 

The sort of setup I've been wanting to see for a while. A nice balance and every player in a position where they should excel. 

We've got Abdi who can slot in for Bannan or Lee. Buckley and Wallace both able to play left or right. Joao, Nuhiu and Matias if we want to switch things up. 

Some fantastic options throughout the squad, and hopefully now a settled system that works rather than the wide open Bannan/Lee, Hooper/Fletcher core.

Yes, with this formation, Lee or Bannan can move across, up or down the pitch while the other has possession in the centre and vise versa and with Jones staying back in the centre with Lees and Hutch either side, the fullbacks are given license to get forward and support the wide players more, with one of them staying a little further back when Jones moves further forward. 

This lineup can very easily be changed or supported depending on which substitute is added into the mix, with 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-4-1 changing to 4-1-2-1-2, 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2, or 4-5-1 depending who comes on as sub or what configuration is required in, or out of possession.

I can imagine Almen Abdi coming into this formation a lot more easily than he could in a straight 4-4-2, if picked. Although I wonder now how much longer we will have to wait to see this happen for a full 90 minutes. His big chance to play in the middle was ignored recently in favour of Bannan, who has not yet reached the heights of performance shown last season and was fresh back from playing 2 games for his country while Abdi was fully rested and apparently fully informed of his duties by Carlos.

I know Bannan/Hutch got most of the plaudits on Saturday, but Jones was my MoM.

Delighted he's started to now show what a quality player he is.

And like many have said, just goes to show you don't always need a 'beast' of a ball winner in centre mid.

Top, top player.

On 10/16/2016 at 20:47, torryowl said:

only really seen jones in the away games but he looks very predictable to me , he breaks play up and lays it off .........totally different player to bannan , if he leaves bannan out for jones for home games  then he's going to have to change the way we play coz i dont see jones playing bannans role .

Perhaps that's cos he's not supposed to..

On 10/24/2016 at 08:56, sage owl said:

Takes a brilliant free kick as well , hopefully curls one into the top corner on Saturday against one of his old clubs.

This should have been common knowledge....what about that important and fantastic set-piece goal Jones scored last season?

Burnley 3 Owls 1.

14 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

This should have been common knowledge....what about that important and fantastic set-piece goal Jones scored last season?

Burnley 3 Owls 1.

scored a cracker for Derby on his debut I think against us 2007 ?.