David Jones

It's been great to finally see what he's got in his locker these last two away games, and it's no coincidence that we've kept a clean sheet in both.

He doesn't dash around the midfield making crunching tackles, nor does he ping Hollywood balls around the pitch on a regular basis (although he did play a few delightful passes today). What he does do, however, is to read the game brilliantly: plugging the gaps in front of our defence; making some vital interceptions; and keeping the team ticking over with his well-chosen and well-placed passes. I thought he was pivotal to our solid performance today and he gave the side that much-needed balance that we sometimes lack when both Lee and Bannan are central.

I'm hoping that now he's had a bit of time to bed in, he'll go on to be a regular starter for us, as he's exactly the type of classy, intelligent player we need in that position.

Guest wilyfox

4 promotions to the prem; only a matter of time before his quality began to show. We needed Jones more than we needed Abdi - who is an excellent footballer. We have an embarrassment of riches in the middle.  

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

good player at this level and will certainly be useful until we can sign a midfield beast that we are so desperately missing if we want to compete against the best sides ....

That's a bit harsh on Jones. We've just beat one of the top placed teams. I don't think it's all about having a tough tackler like in the past.

Jones is very effective at intercepting and is good at screening the back four.

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He will be a key player for us away from home. Not sure if he'll play often at home?

I suppose it depends on the opposition.

Against the bottom teams it might be better to play Lee and Bannan together.

I think Jones deserves a run in the team after today though.

8 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

I'm on my own it seems, I thought he was poor, looked nervy in possession but hey what do I know.

Not on your own.  I can't see that he offers anything that another person could offer in that position.  Bannan or Lee can do that job if it is given to them (but Lee would be wasted doing it).  So far, I'm not a Dave Jones fan....and the name has too many bad associations as well.

Edited by Reyt Part Timer

1 minute ago, Reyt Part Timer said:

Not on your own.  I can't see that he offers anything that another person could offer in that position.  Bannan or Lee can do that job if I is given to them (but Lee would be wasted doing it.  So far, I'm not a Dave Jones fan....and the name has too many bad associations as well.

Bannan has been played in that role this season and it doesn't suit him or the team - he gets bypassed too easily when teams break and he doesn't have the positional awareness that Jones has to filter back in and plug the gaps in front of our defence. How many times did top-of-the-table Huddersfield get through the heart of our midfield today? Hardly any.

I suppose it could be easy to overlook Jones' contribution from the stands, but I bet you his manager and teammates are well aware of what he offered to the team today. He's a very intelligent player.