David Jones

6 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

The more games he plays it will be interesting to see what else he's got in his locker... 

He whips in a hell of a corner. The reason we are only seeing this new back post corner routine now is because he is the only one who can supply the delivery.

His positioning, and by that his reading if the game were exceptional. I lost count of the number of times he simply shifted a couple of yards right or left and broke up their pass. His distribution was excellent as well.

The protection he gives affords Lee, Bannan etc to get forward, and most importantly negates Bannan taking the ball off the back four, allowing him to play further up the field and effect the game more.

Very good and astute signing who has shown over the past couple of games that his inclusion in side us going to be an asset to us in so many ways.

Well played fella !!!

30 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Do you lot think he's better than Lopez from last year? 

I think this is a role in the team that rewards experience and guile as much as the skill and intuition, which were Lopez's strong suits. I was a Lopez fan (and think he should have played at Wembley) but I think Jones is going to be more useful to us overall.

1 hour ago, Dylan93 said:

Do you lot think he's better than Lopez from last year? 

Good question. After a slow start, Lopez proved to be a fantastic player. I think Jones is probably a better reader of the game, but he lacks Lopez's tenacious energy. 

The dream would be to have them both to choose from!

He will be much better for the team. 

Experience of the league is worth a lot. Very good reader of the game and knows how to play the role in the championship .

Has shown in the past he can do the sat-tues-sat grind and whereas Lopez was injury prone I can see Jones being ever present

Started the last three games, only conceded one goal in that time. For half of that time we've played with our 3rd/4th choice goalkeeper, and the goal we conceded was a near unstoppable free kick against our apparently already injured GK. 

No coincidence that Jones' full integration into the squad to act as a pseudo-holding midfielder has led to toughening up of the defence. It highlights what we've known for a very long time, we need someone with a little bit more physicality in the midfield to sure up the defence. We don't need someone necessarily to fly in making crunching tackles ala Barton, but we do need someone with a couple of inches over the other midfielders who knows how to position himself defensively and who can spray passes around a little too. The only downside is we haven't got anyone else at the club who can do that type of job! Stay fit David! :biggrin:

We played 4-4-2 when defending but Lee, Bannan, Reach and Forrestieri were very fluid and interchanging positions when we had the ball - my opinion is that was down to Jones' excellent protection of the defence but also that he offers an anchor point for midfield to work from. He should be the second name on the team sheet (after Lee).  

17 hours ago, WC1Owl said:

I think this is a role in the team that rewards experience and guile as much as the skill and intuition, which were Lopez's strong suits. I was a Lopez fan (and think he should have played at Wembley) but I think Jones is going to be more useful to us overall.

He's sort of a combo of Lopez and Hutch.  Got good technique and a decent passing range like Lopez but also a bit of physicality and defensive awareness like Hutch.  In that way represents a significant upgrade on what we had last season.

For me, has to play every game now, gives so much more balance to the midfield. 

54 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

He's sort of a combo of Lopez and Hutch.  Got good technique and a decent passing range like Lopez but also a bit of physicality and defensive awareness like Hutch.  In that way represents a significant upgrade on what we had last season.

For me, has to play every game now, gives so much more balance to the midfield. 

Agreed, and alongside Lee

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

We played 4-4-2 when defending but Lee, Bannan, Reach and Forrestieri were very fluid and interchanging positions when we had the ball - my opinion is that was down to Jones' excellent protection of the defence but also that he offers an anchor point for midfield to work from. He should be the second name on the team sheet (after Lee).  

He is key for a top two finish IMHO

Going to be interesting selections for Carlos if, as I expect, Jones and Lee are the central pairing. 

Means one of Fletcher, FF, Hooper, Reach or Bannan can't start.

Without even thinking about Wallace or Abdi.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Going to be interesting selections for Carlos if, as I expect, Jones and Lee are the central pairing. 

Thankfully leaving one of those players out no longer means they've been dropped or 'there's been a fall out' or anything like that. It's a long season and we've got a strong squad.

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Thankfully leaving one of those players out no longer means they've been dropped or 'there's been a fall out' or anything like that. It's a long season and we've got a strong squad.

True. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The days of a 'central pairing' might be gone. We looked very fluid against QPR, with Reach popping up alongside Hooper, shifting Forestieri to the left flank at times in the first half, and of course Bannan and Lee also switched roles during the match. The only constants in our 'front six' were Hooper and Jones. If we can truly master such an approach whilst adding Abdi to the mix, we could be a real force to be reckoned with in this division.

We've already seen that Carlos will rotate his squad depending on the opposition and how he wants us to play certain games, as well as factoring in the fatigue caused by playing three games in a six day period. If we can reach the home straight whilst being within touching distance of the top two, such an energy-conserving approach could pay dividends.

Having said that, however, seeing how vital Jones has become to our team's balance in recent games, my only slight concern is that we don't have a like for like replacement in case he gets injured.*

* I'm aware of how ridiculous it seems to be advocating another midfield signing!

:duntmatter:

19 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

The more games he plays it will be interesting to see what else he's got in his locker... 

Takes a brilliant free kick as well , hopefully curls one into the top corner on Saturday against one of his old clubs.

We have played 3 very different teams , including home and away games, in the space of 6 days yet although we used different tactics there was a real consistency about selection.

3 of the back 4 started every game

3 of the midfield started every game

Hooper started every game . 

I see right back back being rotated 

One midfield spot being rotated but not very often

3 strikers sharing the workload

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The days of a 'central pairing' might be gone. We looked very fluid against QPR, with Reach popping up alongside Hooper, shifting Forestieri to the left flank at times in the first half, and of course Bannan and Lee also switched roles during the match. The only constants in our 'front six' were Hooper and Jones. If we can truly master such an approach whilst adding Abdi to the mix, we could be a real force to be reckoned with in this division.

We've already seen that Carlos will rotate his squad depending on the opposition and how he wants us to play certain games, as well as factoring in the fatigue caused by playing three games in a six day period. If we can reach the home straight whilst being within touching distance of the top two, such an energy-conserving approach could pay dividends.

Having said that, however, seeing how vital Jones has become to our team's balance in recent games, my only slight concern is that we don't have a like for like replacement in case he gets injured.*

* I'm aware of how ridiculous it seems to be advocating another midfield signing!

:duntmatter:

Does that rule out a Fletcher/Hooper partnership? Once you commit to two "constants" up front, then you lose that fluidity, in attack at least.

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Does that rule out a Fletcher/Hooper partnership? Once you commit to two "constants" up front, then you lose that fluidity, in attack at least.

No, I imagine we'll see them together upfront a lot this season!

All I meant was that the days of a central midfield pair (or a striking partnership) who start almost every game together are probably behind us, given that we change the starting lineup depending on fitness and the opposition, as well as moving players' positions within a game.