Poll: Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Wigan Athletic?

• Westwood
    • Palmer
    • Lees
    • Hutchinson
    • Pudil
    • Lee
    • Bannan
    • Abdi
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Wallace
    • Hooper
    • Reach
    • Buckley

3 hours ago, james o connor said:

Westwood 6 didn't have anything to do bar pick another idiotic goal out the net 

Palmer 7 surprisingly good, again 

lees 4 when will our back 5 stop prattling about with the ball how many goals will it take? Poor throughout today 

hutchinson 7 calm throughout 

Pudil 7 by and far his best game today 

Wallace 4 the 4 is for the last 20 mins. How this bloke has been recalled I'll never know. One of the main reasons we are so slow and predictable. 

Lee 5 poor decision making 

abdi 5 once again farmed out to the wing 

bannan 6 not sure where these 8s are coming from . Better than he has been been another reason we are slow and predictable 

ff 6 OK , glad to see him score , doesn't look fussed to me 

fletcher 8 we should build the team around his strengths . Played really well even more so with hooper 

carlos 3 wrong tactics and selection yet again, got away with against a really poor side 

Abdi never even went near the touch line, he was central of a 3 behind Fletcher so not sure where you think he was farmed out to the wing tbh

Westwood-7, always looking to get us moving forward quickly with quick kicks 

Palmer-7, did OK, and got one really good cross in. Which can't be said when hunt plays

lees-6, OK a bad mistake for the goal but otherwise did fine

hutch-8, outstanding. Love him I this position. Wins headers, intercepts, passes ball well and doesn't get booked

pudil-7, really tried to get us going forward

wallace-6, too narrow first half, but went wider 2nd Half and was very involved and nearly scored

lee-8, he comes into the game the longer it goes on. He is tireless and is still everywhere going into injury time. Lovely play for FF goal

bannan-9, was so energetic and the pass for the fletch goal and the Wallace miss were class. One of his trademark charges back down the pitch to stop a Wigan attack too

ff-8, not in it much until about an hour in, then sparked to life and looked like himself again

fletch-8, really like the look of him. Wins lots in the air, good finish today. Always looking to get the run on the centre halfs. Real team player too.

hooper-8, thought he was excellent when he came on. Great touches and link up play, and such clever movement

reach and Buckley -7, not only long enough, but both looked good for the short time they were on.

strange sub by the way to put reach on for pudil when we were 2-1 up. 

And just not right to have number 6 playing up top and number 9 playing lb

4 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

Palmer-7, did OK, and got one really good cross in. Which can't be said when hunt plays

hutch-8, outstanding. Love him I this position. Wins headers, intercepts, passes ball well and doesn't get booked

wallace-6, too narrow first half, but went wider 2nd Half and was very involved and nearly scored

lee-8, he comes into the game the longer it goes on. He is tireless and is still everywhere going into injury time. Lovely play for FF goal

bannan-9, was so energetic and the pass for the fletch goal and the Wallace miss were class. One of his trademark charges back down the pitch to stop a Wigan attack too

ff-8, not in it much until about an hour in, then sparked to life and looked like himself again

fletch-8, really like the look of him. Wins lots in the air, good finish today. Always looking to get the run on the centre halfs. Real team player too.

hooper-8, thought he was excellent when he came on. Great touches and link up play, and such clever movement

reach and Buckley -7, not only long enough, but both looked good for the short time they were on.

Pudil had a muscle strain, so Reach was the obvious and only replacement.

Palmer - agree completely. Far better FB performance than Hunt recently.

For me it was a choice between Hutchinson, Lee and Fletcher for MOM. Gave it to Fletcher for leading the line so well and getting off the mark with his first goal. He's a proper footballer, it's not hard to see that in his game. Hutchinson was solid again and he has to keep his place ahead of Loovens because he's vocal at the back too. Lee was just Lee again and doesn't seem to have a bad game.

As for any negatives, Lees had his shakiest game I've seen him have since he arrived. Thankfully his poor games are few and far between and he had Hutch to mop up on most occasions after they scored. Palmer was okay going forwards but every time we lost the ball they targeted that side and he laboured getting back. Wallace needs a break and hopefully we'll see Reach and Buckley start soon. As for Abdi, I'm still not sure what he brings to our side yet. Hopefully he's still just bedding in but looked pretty miffed to be subbed and was muttering to himself as he took his seat on the bench.

Westwood 7

Palmer 6

Pudil 7

Lees 6

Hutchinson 8

Wallace 6

Bannan 7

Lee 8

Abdi 6

Forestieri 7

Fletcher 8

4 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

Was Abdi THAT bad?! :ph34r:

14 hours ago, james o connor said:

Westwood 6 didn't have anything to do bar pick another idiotic goal out the net 

Palmer 7 surprisingly good, again 

lees 4 when will our back 5 stop prattling about with the ball how many goals will it take? Poor throughout today 

hutchinson 7 calm throughout 

Pudil 7 by and far his best game today 

Wallace 4 the 4 is for the last 20 mins. How this bloke has been recalled I'll never know. One of the main reasons we are so slow and predictable. 

Lee 5 poor decision making 

abdi 5 once again farmed out to the wing 

bannan 6 not sure where these 8s are coming from . Better than he has been been another reason we are slow and predictable 

ff 6 OK , glad to see him score , doesn't look fussed to me 

fletcher 8 we should build the team around his strengths . Played really well even more so with hooper 

carlos 3 wrong tactics and selection yet again, got away with against a really poor side 

FF doesn't look fussed? Despite him crying when scoring? Despite him sprinting 20+ yards several times to win ball back for us? 

Jesus

Westwood 7

Pudil 7

Hutchinson 8

Lees 4

Palmer 7

FF 7

Bannan 9

Lee 7

Wallace 6

Abdi 7

Fletcher 9

Hooper 7

Buckley 6

Reach 6

Our fans are just pure moaners. And deserve a 3 today. Atmosphere today was rubbish, way too impatient

Abdi looks far better in the middle

Fletch for me , followed closely by Hutch , Baz  Lee and Forestieri , We were all over the place in the first half with most of our midfield trying to play in a very small area .

We looked much more balanced when Abdi went off and Hooper on 

Think Carlos got it wrong yesterday but we still won so no disaster , just cannot see where Abdi fits in when everyone is fit . 

Westwood - 6, Nothing he could have done for that goal, made 1 good stop but that was about it, quiet afternoon for him.

Palmer - 7, Not at fault for the goal, i thought he looked solid today, doesn't have Hunt's confidence to run at players and use his pace (that should come the more he plays) but never looked out of place, proved to lots he can cut it.

Lees - 6, At fault for the goal, but he's been immense for us last few seasons so we'll let that one go. Passing was bit wayward but man marked Grigg well i thought, solid performance again (aside from first 5minutes).

Hutchinson - 7, Quiet game for Sammy, no huge tackles or bookings which is good i suppose, but Wigan offered little threat. Only criticism is he should be passing it out more from the back not Lees. Probably more to do with tactics than himself but played 1 excellent ball over the top for Wallace, he's got that range and skill to be a good ball playing CB which is something we haven't had in years. 

Pudil - 6, Less influential than we've seen before at home, worked hard and ran the lines always made himself available. Again wasn't tested much but still a steady performance, looked tired as the game went on, so understand why he went off.

Wallace - 7, Missed 2 excellent chances to score, think he only likes scoring screamers. Saw lots of the ball and always looked dangerous when cutting in, think we miss him when he doesn't play because his delivery is top class. Today highlighted he's losing his pace though, twice i think we broke and he looked shattered and played 2 sloppy passes when maybe a Reach or Buckley could have taken the man on and been 1 on 1. 

Bannan MOTM - 8, Controlled the game like we need him too, always looking for the ball. Feel like we all know what he can do when he plays like that, work rate was fantastic, made some nice tackles and passing range was pinpoint, nice assist too.

Lee - 8, This could have gone differently if we didn't win....but Lee today was everywhere, absolute box to box performance, involved in all our play down the middle, made 2 huge tackles and technically assisted 2nd goal. His movement on and off the ball in honestly incredible, finds space so easily and just drifts between players and links things up. However he needs to shoot!!!! If we didn't win today there were 2 or 3 times he has the ball in the box but tries to make another pass or takes too long on the ball, needs to get his confidence up in those positions because when he starts shooting that's when he can go on to be that 10+ goals a season box to box CM that everybody in the league wants in their team. 

FF - 7, Back to his best again, tireless work rate, always looking to take people on and not afraid to shoot! Not a winger but I thought he covered LW well again today, has all the qualities to do that, love how he drifts in caused real problems for Wigan backline. Typical Fessi performance today, took his goal well hopefully much more to come. But needs to play in that #10 role, will play well whenever he plays but his best position in behind the striker!!

Abdi - 6, I don't understand why people are raving about him after the game? Looked very standard to me, worked hard and passing was good but that was it....looked like he was playing to much like Bannan when we need him playing more forward, hence why CC took him off after 60 for Hooper. Frustrating because we looked better with Hooper going 442 because Fletcher had more support, Abdi was steady in midfield but we need him in those final third positions, I think he's a good player but tactically he isn't fitting in to what we're trying to do.

Fletcher - 8, Impressive. Tireless work rate and a top draw performance on how to play as a lone striker, got more support as the game went on and when Hooper came on but his experience showed yesterday. Won everything in the air, got others involved, ran on his defender made himself available, really good all round performance from him, took his goal with good strength when others might have gone down. Hit the bar too i think? His experience will be really valuable this season.

SUBS/

Hooper - 7, Can tell he likes playing with Fletcher they were always communicating and linked up really well, almost scored a cracking bicycle kick, maybe we have a partnership forming? Still not sure if we can get away with a 442 just yet but we really looked dangerous when he came on.

Reach & Buckley not on long enough.

I'm writing all this with a banging hangover so i feel like i've forgotten most of the match...But overall yesterday was slowly getting us back to how good we can be, everybody looked decent and although 2-1 indicates a close game it never was really, different day that finishes 3-0. Much like Brentford created plenty and played some really good football, hopefully we've had our share of sloppy goals to concede now but the signs were positive again, still think we can get much better.

Only criticism is the Abdi dilemma. For me we should be playing Fessi behind Fletcher and Reach on the left side, Fessi is good enough to look good wherever he plays so it's not a problem, but he's being under utilised out wide. I understand giving Reach time and i think he will come into the side and make that LM position his own, but when we have 2 up top we look so much more dangerous. At home we can get away with Lee/Bannan in the centre, Wallace/Reach outwide and then Fessi/Fletcher up front, away we can re adjust to Jones/Bannan/Lee midfield with FF/Fletcher/Reach.

Edited by Del_Liles

Cannot believe how people are saying Palmer had a good game.  I was on the Kop watching him in the first half and he looked like the sub warming up he virtually just jogged up and down the touch line. Lees kept getting dragged out of position to do the full back role and at times Palmer just ambled back not making much effort doing this. He rarely came in from the touch line to offer himself to Lees and although the pass that led to the goal was Lees fault I feel Palmer was little help being so far away most of the time. I stopped watching Palmer in the second half as he was the other side of the pitch but can remember him losing the ball on one occasion that put us in trouble. Fletcher was the best player on the pitch although there were some good displays from our midfielders, the Buckley dribble was class and he could be a good fit.   

16 hours ago, waynecoyne14 said:

abdi was class I thought never gave the ball away but bazza never stopped running mom for me

mentioned in despatches; fletcher lee and hutch and fernando

But never did anything with it either 

Bannan is playing deep to accommodate Abdi IMO so Abdi needs to be doing the things that Bannan did last season and he just isnt delivering 

I quite like Bannan deep as he sees lots of the ball but we need him 15 yard further upfield the conundrum being that we cant clone him

Edited by Lawrie Madden

18 hours ago, Reyt Part Timer said:

Good team performance, and Fletcher looks like a real striker who works hard - brilliant acquisition for us.  But my vote went to Lee. Tireless.  Winning the ball back. Sometimes the furthest player forward.  Bannan made a couple of uncharacteristic howling mistakes so I don't see how he was MoM.  But we all see things differently.  Palmer looked like he was struggling in the first half to cope with their width and pace on his side (although not to be blamed for the goal even though it came from his side - he was sold a short pass), but in second half was more solid.  Good win (would have been major disaster not to have won I think).

Thought Palmer had got the e-bola virus or something in the first half, poor chap. he spent almost the entire half  with acres of open space round him. The rest of the side seemed to set off towards him then turn into trouble. From the few balls he did received, he put in three PERFECT CROSSES which the rest of the forwards wasted. Just looked like he'd been sent to Coventry  by the rest of the team.

Still not sure if FF's heart is in it 100%. Thought Fletcher put in a real shift, obviously worth what he's getting.

14 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Thought Palmer had got the e-bola virus or something in the first half, poor chap. he spent almost the entire half  with acres of open space round him. The rest of the side seemed to set off towards him then turn into trouble. From the few balls he did received, he put in three PERFECT CROSSES which the rest of the forwards wasted. Just looked like he'd been sent to Coventry  by the rest of the team.

Still not sure if FF's heart is in it 100%. Thought Fletcher put in a real shift, obviously worth what he's getting.

what makes you think forestieri's hearts not in it ?........i didnt see anything yesterday that suggests that is the case ,he worked hard ,he tackled back ,he even chased almost the width of the pitch to retrieve one ball ,oh and he scored the winner and looked pretty pleased when he did as did his team mates .

Just a feeling I get watching him. There are times to me when he just 'switches off', and he's pathetic at getting back onside when he's made a run and play has switched to the other side.

Sounds like I'm being hypercritical, but i'm not. Maybe I've come to expect too much from him, and yes, he did score the winner.

3 hours ago, Del_Liles said:

Wallace - 7, Missed 2 excellent chances to score, think he only likes scoring screamers. Saw lots of the ball and always looked dangerous when cutting in, think we miss him when he doesn't play because his delivery is top class.

Don't know how you can say this.  4 shots, none on target.  His delivery this season has beed dire, yet to have a decent game.