New ground v redevelopment ?

A 55k seater stadium would be a few years down the line, once we're a well established Premier League club; I doubt we'd look at moving for a couple of seasons at the very least.

Serious question: what makes you think we'd get crowds that could justify a 55k seater stadium even if we did become established in the Premier League? I can imagine it being needed if we started winning trophies and playing regularly in Europe, but I can't see just becoming an established Premier League team causing our attendances to increase to the level where we need that kind of expansion.

Think we would regularly get gates of 30+ if we were in the top flight. Perhaps we didn't back then, but Premier League football is more popular now, and if we couldn't command those sort of gates, there's something wrong. You could probably add on another 6,000 if we moved to a new ground.

I'd go with redevelopment aiming at 45000 capacity and trying to grow the fan base over time

If the day ever came that we outgrow that then the decision should be made as to Wether to stay and expand or move

What I wouldn't do is build a 30000 - 35000 stadium and limit how far we can grow to my mind most clubs who have gone this way have found the stadiums too small when they reach the Premier league

The key is too build the fan base and be proactive in doing so something we haven't done in the past

I'd go with redevelopment aiming at 45000 capacity and trying to grow the fan base over time

If the day ever came that we outgrow that then the decision should be made as to Wether to stay and expand or move

What I wouldn't do is build a 30000 - 35000 stadium and limit how far we can grow to my mind most clubs who have gone this way have found the stadiums too small when they reach the Premier league

The key is too build the fan base and be proactive in doing so something we haven't done in the past

Stop spouting common sense this is Owlstalk!

Doesn't look like a Premiership ground does it? That's because it isn't, but if we go up I reckon (and I said this before based on nothing other than my own opinion) we'll move to a magnificent new purpose built stadium in the East End. Something that will rival the City of Manchester stadium and aim to pull in fans from a 50 mile radius from North, West and South Yorkshire and Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Notts.

That's honestly what I would do. I think we could build a minimum 50,000 seater and average over 40,000 a week in the Prem with our current level of ambition and investment, if it was marketed well. 

It wouldn't take long for Tesco to move in and build a giant store on the existing site to break the dominance of Morrisons in that area either.

Seriously- this is what I think will happen.  That's why Man City dumped the likes of Maine Road.

Doesn't look like a Premiership ground does it? That's because it isn't, but if we go up I reckon (and I said this before based on nothing other than my own opinion) we'll move to a magnificent new purpose built stadium in the East End. Something that will rival the City of Manchester stadium and aim to pull in fans from a 50 mile radius from North, West and South Yorkshire and Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Notts.

That's honestly what I would do. I think we could build a minimum 50,000 seater and average over 40,000 a week in the Prem with our current level of ambition and investment, if it was marketed well. 

It wouldn't take long for Tesco to move in and build a giant store on the existing site to break the dominance of Morrisons in that area either.

Seriously- this is what I think will happen.  That's why Man City dumped the likes of Maine Road.

everytime a team like city dumps somewhere like maine road it makes the value of staying at hillsborough higher

Seriously- this is what I think will happen. That's why Man City dumped the likes of Maine Road.

As I said a few pages ago you don't half talk some bo@@ocks.

We need to start grabbing more fans from surrounding areas like Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield, etc.

Derby is a smaller city than Sheffield and they get a bigger average attendance and more season tickets holders, with Forest to the east and Villa's catchment area to the south; they've done well since moving to the new ground.

I'd say a 40 - 45,000 stadium would be good for us, if we get promoted one day. Away team will regularly being 5k as well

Edited by Rogers

I'm with you on this plus the fact that nobody has come up with a decent & realistic alternative site.

If cc was even considering a new ground, no decision could be made until the location and details of the HS2 are finalised.

The key is not to build a "Baseball Stadium" (bowl) like crap such as the Emirates.

That is where MK Plastic have succeeded, problem is it's all painted battleship-grey but it doesn't have to be.

A half decent architecture company ought to be able to design a compact, tight, possible-to-expand in the future if needed, football stadium.  Build some apartments nearby and sell them on for £300,000 each, fund the future growth of the club.

It's interesting that now, between a third and a half of Wednesday fans can see the benefits of a move. 5 years ago, this would have been around 1 in 10 fans.

How long before the River Don FLOODS again?  Remember, the pitch is on an ancient river bed/flood plain.

People are getting carried away. Always been more villa and Everton attendance wise than man utd or Newcastle

no we havnt ... we have had one 30k average in 50 years villa and everton have done 40k quite a few times and 30k numerous in the

same period .

The key is not to build a "Baseball Stadium" (bowl) like crap such as the Emirates.

That is where MK Plastic have succeeded, problem is it's all painted battleship-grey but it doesn't have to be.

A half decent architecture company ought to be able to design a compact, tight, possible-to-expand in the future if needed, football stadium.  Build some apartments nearby and sell them on for £300,000 each, fund the future growth of the club.

It's interesting that now, between a third and a half of Wednesday fans can see the benefits of a move. 5 years ago, this would have been around 1 in 10 fans.

How long before the River Don FLOODS again?  Remember, the pitch is on an ancient river bed/flood plain.

who in there right mind would spend 300k on an apartment next to a football ground in sheffield .

no we havnt ... we have had one 30k average in 50 years villa and everton have done 40k quite a few times and 30k numerous in the

same period .

true, couldnt think of any other peer, Southampton perhaps?

who in there right mind would spend 300k on an apartment next to a football ground in sheffield .

In the east end. lol 

He's either never been to Sheffield or the biggest idiot on this site.  And that takes some doing...