New ground v redevelopment ?

No. It's a pile of chuffing soil! Were you there when we overloaded it against Chelsea's didi-men in the cup semi-final? There was bl00dy cement/ chunks of cement dropping out of the brick-work! I kid you not!

No I didn't go in 91. Wasn't born in fact!

For me the option is to rebuild hillsborough. It would be cheaper than a new build somewhere else by far and it would always leave the option for us to move if it truly came to that in the future

The Allianze is a bowl and there is nothing wrong with stadium. Just because people keep spouting the same rubbish about new grounds and bowls being crap does not make it true.

I don't like modern American style stadia, you will never beat the aesthetic style of a traditional asymmetrical football ground.

Liverpool are doing it the right way.

It's a good site. We need to get rid of the past - ABJECT FAILURE.   DISASTERS.  DEATH.  FLOODS.   

We need to move to a new ground.   New era.  New Stadium.  Something to be proud of - sick of the "theatre of rust" jibes from the Blunts.

Jesus, there are trees growing out of the roof of the North, weeds on East bank, it takes 25 minutes to get a pint of p--s.   The football's right - the stadium is 5HITE .

Let's leave the past behind. It's even turned a weird shade of Man City / Coventry City - SKY BLUE!   F.F.S!

Absolutely this

I don't like modern American style stadia, you will never beat the aesthetic style of a traditional asymmetrical football ground.

Liverpool are doing it the right way.

I'm with you on this plus the fact that nobody has come up with a decent & realistic alternative site.

He may think...lets get to the Prem first and spend some of the millions to establish us there THEN should we ever get into Europe look at expanding...whether that is at Hillsborough or somewhere new

This will be the likely process - i can't see anything happening ground wise for at least 5 years..and that's if we get to the Prem in the next two years

Quite impressed the idea of the new stadium at the bottom of the old ski village, the top of the hill perfect for a huge iconic statue so you can combine them in one shot from the airship, a Sheffield version of this maybe?

post-19578-0-01965100-1462450637_thumb.j

What's not to like?

THIS.   Apart from those that have a got a family member who runs a crap cafe or "about to close down" pub within a mile of the ground, the answer is...

NOTHING.

The current location is DEAD.

Dont talk utter bull sh!t

No. It's a pile of chuffing soil!   Were you there when we overloaded it against Chelsea's didi-men in the cup semi-final?   There was bl00dy cement/ chunks of cement dropping out of the brick-work!   I kid you not! 

no there wasnt you are lying on the fact we overloaded it and there was bricks falling out

You stink of the idiot who was on twitter a few months back who had moved away and was slagging the area and ground off and generally making crap up

Did I say any of that? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm saying this myth that all new grounds and bowls are rubbish and have no atmosphere is a complete load of nonsense spouted by people that don't know what else to say.

I've not seen proof that it would be more beneficial to stay or move have you? Also, the cost of the building is only part of the equation....what additional income can be generated also had to be considered.

You used the Allianz Arena as evidence that not all bowls are crap. I pointed out that one of the main reasons it's not crap is that it was designed to be iconic and therefore extremely expensive (and, incidentally, to serve not one but two clubs), and I asked you a fair question of whether you really think we'd get funding for anything like that. If you can't understand where I was coming from and answer it without having a go at me, then that's your problem.

The vast majority of new stadia built under tighter budgets are based on functionality over style. I've been to Reading, Southampton, Leicester, MK, Colchester, Millwall and Oxford's new-build grounds. They were all built to be functional, and they all lack atmosphere and style. The only two new grounds I've been to that buck this trend are Arsenal and Brighton's. Arsenal's was very expensive, and Brighton's took years of wrangling and (correct me if I'm wrong) had to be designed with aesthetics in mind because of its location in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

If our owner is as interested in making income from a new stadium as people think (i.e. corporate facilities, etc), would he want something that's functional and cost-effective (i.e. standard, practical design - like the ones I've mentioned) where the returns would be greater, or would he splash out on something iconic and designed to massage the fans' egos, knowing that it's likely to take longer to make a financial return?

I never said I had seen any proof that it would be more beneficial to stay or move - but assuming the WC plans weren't a complete fabrication that we'd palmed off to the FA when they were putting the case together for England's bid - the renovation of Hillsborough to modern standards as it is certainly appeared to be both financially viable and wouldn't result in us having one of the practical-yet-boring arenas that are becoming commonplace in English football now. That's why I'd rather we stayed at Hillsborough than built something from scratch that would most likely end up like Leicester, Middlesbrough or Reading's grounds.

It's a good site. We need to get rid of the past - ABJECT FAILURE.   DISASTERS.  DEATH.  FLOODS.   

We need to move to a new ground.   New era.  New Stadium.  Something to be proud of - sick of the "theatre of rust" jibes from the Blunts.

Jesus, there are trees growing out of the roof of the North, weeds on East bank, it takes 25 minutes to get a pint of p--s.   The football's right - the stadium is 5HITE .

Let's leave the past behind. It's even turned a weird shade of Man City / Coventry City - SKY BLUE!   F.F.S!

Should Rangers move aswell then!!

Ridiculous sweeping statement and also interesting to note the ones keen on a move don't live in Sheffield or close to Hillsborough.

I've always thought that Maidstone should be relocated too.

Ridiculous sweeping statement and also interesting to note the ones keen on a move don't live in Sheffield or close to Hillsborough.

Exactly easy to have a shout and spout lies when it doesnt affect them

Hillsborough is a fine area to live in made better by the fact the home of Sheffield Wednesday is in the middle of it

As someone who spent many years living in the medway area of Kent Ive always thought Medway and Maidstone should be napalmed  :ph34r:

I apologise if I came across as having a go at you.

You name lots of grounds that lack atmosphere and style but there is nowhere more devoid of atmosphere than Hillsborough the vast majority of the time and as for style, it is widely accepted that it virtually needs completely rebuilding.

I bet Leicester's place is not soulless and lacking in atmosphere on Saturday. I appreciate that is a very special occasion but my point is that people and circumstances make atmospheres not bricks and mortar.

Any ground in the whole world would be lacking in atmosphere and vibe if only half full and witnessing what we have for the last 16 years.

Hillsborough is a different animal when full as we saw on Saturday, we're you there?

Friday will be ferocious too so all this voting in favour of moving for this reason is misinformed or deluded.

I apologise if I came across as having a go at you.

You name lots of grounds that lack atmosphere and style but there is nowhere more devoid of atmosphere than Hillsborough the vast majority of the time and as for style, it is widely accepted that it virtually needs completely rebuilding.

I bet Leicester's place is not soulless and lacking in atmosphere on Saturday. I appreciate that is a very special occasion but my point is that people and circumstances make atmospheres not bricks and mortar.

Apology accepted. You're right that Hillsborough's atmosphere could be better a lot of the time, but I don't agree that it needs virtually completely rebuilding - the WC plans showed that it can be brought up to what certainly appears to be a high standard without a major rebuild. Much of the base infrastructure was retained in those plans, and much of the work was improvement and upgrade, rather than a complete rebuild. The character of three of the stands - something that is fast disappearing from English football - was completely retained. It still looked like the Hillsborough that many fans are proud of, but with the necessary remodelling to bring it up to modern standards.

I have only been to Leicester's ground once, and the atmosphere was as flat as it gets (even though Leicester won comfortably and were one of the better teams in the division at the time). I'm sure it's been different for this past season, but that's for exceptional reasons. One of the problems with the new standard grounds is that it's difficult to get the more vociferous fans into one area together - fans no longer have the sentimental ties to their part of the ground that they've been brought up knowing. Something I noticed at the Wycombe game was that at certain times, each stand at Hillsborough was singing its own song. I was on the North that day and could see that whilst we were making noise, the Kop was making their own noise, as was the South, as was the Lep. Of course the onus is on the fans to make the noise in the first place, but I bet that the simple remodelling of the NE corner - effectively combining the Kop and North Stands into one unit - that were in the WC plans would have a positive effect on atmosphere (and the fact that it fills in the open-air gap there). The same could be said for the plan for the NW corner. Fans can still stick to the areas they've always preferred, but as far as atmosphere goes it'll join the fans together into one unit.

Their second new ground looks really nice TBH.

They are selling glanford park for retail and making millions. They were actually one of the 1st clubs to build a modern stadium !

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Iron-s-new-pound-25-million-ground-gets-ahead/story-28892732-detail/story.html

Haha good idea let's build that then.

For us to upgrade on Hillsborough would be 150-200million.

Cheaper & better to redevelop