Worst Player To Pay For Us In The Prem

It's funny how people's perspective differ.

Marc Degryse wad great. Such a shame Pleat got shot of him. In a second season he would have been awesome. That performance against Leeds was just brilliant.

I loved Andy Pearce. Strong in the tackle, good in the air, scored one or two. With hindsight not the best positionally but a decent player nonetheless.

Wayne Collins was an odd one. Came from nowhere (Crewe I think), went straight into the team and the team went straight to the top of the league. He was pretty good but then disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

Steve Nicol was superb. Especially when you consider he couldn't run. He came in to a team playing awfully and helped keep us up. The next year he sat infront of the back four and was excellent. Ioved him and for what it's worth, I'd have him back as manager too, his record in Americaland was very good indeed last time I looked.

It's funny how people's perspective differ.

Marc Degryse wad great. Such a shame Pleat got shot of him. In a second season he would have been awesome. That performance against Leeds was just brilliant.

I loved Andy Pearce. Strong in the tackle, good in the air, scored one or two. With hindsight not the best positionally but a decent player nonetheless.

Wayne Collins was an odd one. Came from nowhere (Crewe I think), went straight into the team and the team went straight to the top of the league. He was pretty good but then disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

Steve Nicol was superb. Especially when you consider he couldn't run. He came in to a team playing awfully and helped keep us up. The next year he sat infront of the back four and was excellent. Ioved him and for what it's worth, I'd have him back as manager too, his record in Americaland was very good indeed last time I looked.[/quot

Imo degryse was class...pearce and collins were poor but Nicol was fkn terrible and a genuine liability

Yep when we were last in the premier league it was a very different competition. The likes of Richard Cresswell, humphreys etc would get nowhere near the first team now

For one month humphreys looked world class

Edited by whatdial

Ashley Westwood

Didn't we get Westwood summer after relegation.

I seem to remember Atherton (not everyone's favourite, but imo solid and reliable) was out of contract and we couldn't give him a decent contract so he left for Bradford (who had stayed up). We were desperate for some defenders, any defenders, bradford had us by the goollies and we paid £500k for Westwood. Effectively he cost half a mil plus Atherton. I knew then that we were in for a struggle.

Blondeau was pretty diabolical. Also Lance Key, Marc Degryse, Mark Platts, Mike Williams, O'Neil Donaldson and Sanetti were pretty damn grim.

He was terrible for us, and hardly here for 5 minutes,. Solid career afterwards, though, captaining Olympique Marseille to a UEFA cup final.

Blondeau was pretty diabolical. Also Lance Key, Marc Degryse, Mark Platts, Mike Williams, O'Neil Donaldson and Sanetti were pretty damn grim.

I can only recall Platts coming on for Waddle and for Sanetti all I remember is his late goal in last game of season against Villa.

I thought Degryse was an excellent player.

Surprised no one as given Ian Taylor a mention, did ok when he went to Villa but was pretty poor for us.

Worse one for me was Simon Coleman, far too big and slow for left back and to think he replaced 2 brilliant left backs in Nigel Worthington and Phil King.

I can only recall Platts coming on for Waddle and for Sanetti all I remember is his late goal in last game of season against Villa.

I thought Degryse was an excellent player.

Surprised no one as given Ian Taylor a mention, did ok when he went to Villa but was pretty poor for us.

Worse one for me was Simon Coleman, far too big and slow for left back and to think he replaced 2 brilliant left backs in Nigel Worthington and Phil King.

I actually thought Taylor was pretty good, he was the only real ball-winner we had at the time other than Graham Hyde but we were so desperate for a forward we had to swap him for Whittingham.

I don't understand why anyone on here would say Marc Degryse was a poor player. He was one of the few genuinely world class players we've had here. If we'd signed him three years earlier when Hirst and Waddle were at their peak he would have torn that league to shreds.

Petter Rudi.

He was just tall and ran, he had zero skill and was incredibly weak too.

Very harsh Trev! I thought he had some good games for us, I think he was a main starter in the 1998 revival under Big Ron? De Bilde would have to get a mention, he became our replacement for Di Canio and was a major let down

Didn't we get Westwood summer after relegation.

I seem to remember Atherton (not everyone's favourite, but imo solid and reliable) was out of contract and we couldn't give him a decent contract so he left for Bradford (who had stayed up). We were desperate for some defenders, any defenders, bradford had us by the goollies and we paid £500k for Westwood. Effectively he cost half a mil plus Atherton. I knew then that we were in for a struggle.

My mistake. He signed in August 2000.

Always though Pearce was awful and he symbolised the dismantling of our squad by Francis. Just not Prem standard. Also Atherton keeping out Peterscu used to wind me up - Francis so frustrated me over that time ...just think with someone really decent in charge we could have kicked on instead of slowly sliding away but there is it, all history now.

Degryse was a good player - can believe he is in this list, especially with players like Sanertti etc being bandied about