Worst Player To Pay For Us In The Prem

I think the selling of Warhurst and the buying of Sinton was the turning point. The money should have been spent on cover for the increasingly injured Hirsty which led to the selling of Taylor for the short term solution of Whottingham and the subsequent long decline.

Heard Sinton talk about how he was disappointed it didn't workout with us but as history attests, we couldn't afford for him to fail.

PS does anyone else think losing the penalty shoot out against Wolves after being 3-0 up was also a massive blow? Pearce Waddle Bart man

Missed after Pressman had nearly bust the net!

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

I think the selling of Warhurst and the buying of Sinton was the turning point. The money should have been spent on cover for the increasingly injured Hirsty which led to the selling of Taylor for the short term solution of Whottingham and the subsequent long decline.

Heard Sinton talk about how he was disappointed it didn't workout with us but as history attests, we couldn't afford for him to fail.

PS does anyone else think losing the penalty shoot out against Wolves after being 3-0 up was also a massive blow? Pearce Waddle Bart man

Missed after Pressman had nearly bust the net!

I agree with all of that. The 94-95 season was one of the biggest anti-climaxes I remember as a Wednesday fan. We'd come off a season where we were absolutely ravaged by injuries but still finished seventh and towards the end we were thrashing teams left right and centre. We'd added Ingesson and Petrescu, who'd starred at the world cup and Hirst was fit again, and I really thought we could get back into Europe. Obviously, in hindsight we replaced Nilsson with Atherton, Worthington with Nolan, Palmer with Taylor, and a mole also turned up. It was always going to be a decline. When Pearce missed that pen against Wolves he smiled. It was obvious at that point the players did not have any respect for Francis. Edited by manicowl

I agree with all of that. The 94-95 season was one of the biggest anti-climaxes I remember as a Wednesday fan. We'd come off a season where we were absolutely ravaged by injuries but still finished seventh and towards the end we were thrashing teams left right and centre. We'd added Ingesson and Petrescu, who'd starred at the world cup and Hirst was fit again, and I really thought we could get back into Europe. Obviously, in hindsight we replaced Nilsson with Atherton, Worthington with Nolan, Palmer with Taylor, and a mole also turned up. It was always going to be a decline. When Pearce missed that pen against Wolves he smiled. It was obvious at that point the players did not have any respect for Francis.

For me, the first sign that we weren't going to be a force was the League Cup semi at home against Man United, when we got absolutely clobbered 4-1 and Brian McClair looked like Netzer.

That 1:4 was painful but Utd were on the way to being incredible.

Gunther Netzher - Respect. I wonder what they'd pay for him these days!!

And Pearce's smile .... Can see it now

And Brights crap header in extra time of that game ni mind his miss at Wembley...

Weird .... You hope they aren't turning points but they are and the tell tale sign as noted is that the players coming in aren't as good as those leaving.

I suppose for that reason we should be optimistic for once. This Crew haven't gelled yet but Forestieri is probably our most skilful purchase since Di Canio and Matias has scored the best goal I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt - up there with the Richie Humphries and Dean Barrick collection!

That 1:4 was painful but Utd were on the way to being incredible.

Gunther Netzher - Respect. I wonder what they'd pay for him these days!!

And Pearce's smile .... Can see it now

And Brights crap header in extra time of that game ni mind his miss at Wembley...

Weird .... You hope they aren't turning points but they are and the tell tale sign as noted is that the players coming in aren't as good as those leaving.

I suppose for that reason we should be optimistic for once. This Crew haven't gelled yet but Forestieri is probably our most skilful purchase since Di Canio and Matias has scored the best goal I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt - up there with the Richie Humphries and Dean Barrick collection!

They were, yes, but it was clear that we weren't competitive with that top level any more.

Guest s80m21owl

It's alright mentioning some of the young, inexperienced players, but they were thrown in to an impossible situation and badly let down by the experienced players around them. Mind you some of the experienced players wouldn't even be good enough for Rotherham to take off our hands.

Agree with whats been said , I dont think I have ever properly gotten over the crushing despair I felt during the 94 / 95 season when I first clapped eyes on Atherton , Pearce , Nolan ,Taylor etc.

After waiting 25 years to see us finally build a side that could compete with the best , only to see it all rapidly disintegrate was soul destroying.

Looking back now its quite funny when I remember how annoyed I used to get with other Wednesday fans who would happily applaud and laud these players.............................I felt like screaming at them "Don't you get it ? , this is the start , we,re on our way back to oblivion"

Hate it when I,m right.

Agree with whats been said , I dont think I have ever properly gotten over the crushing despair I felt during the 94 / 95 season when I first clapped eyes on Atherton , Pearce , Nolan ,Taylor etc.

After waiting 25 years to see us finally build a side that could compete with the best , only to see it all rapidly disintegrate was soul destroying.

Looking back now its quite funny when I remember how annoyed I used to get with other Wednesday fans who would happily applaud and laud these players.............................I felt like screaming at them "Don't you get it ? , this is the start , we,re on our way back to oblivion"

Hate it when I,m right.

I think another factor was the fact that Ryan Jones effectively had his career ended that season. He looked a real prospect the previous season and could have been a much more effective long-term replacement for Palmer than Taylor.