Tell us about your first big Sheffield Wednesday hero

When you first started going to Sheffield Wednesday games there tended to be one or two players that stood out and became your first SWFC heroes.

It might not have been the most skilful or popular player but it doesn't matter as younger opinions on players tend to be based on other things rather than just pure skill (look at Chris "Bartman" Bart-Williams for example - most popular with the young uns but was slow and rubbish)

Who was yours ?

Owlstalk Shop

Martin Hodge, me and me old man walked from Mexborough to Sprotbrough to watch a charity cricket match (84-85?)..  Wednesday V Sprotbrough CC....At the time me Dad couldn't afford to take me to games, so this was the first time I saw players, albeit in cricket gear...Martin Hodge was the captain and if I remember, he went out first ball and was heavily pissed off...But of the dozens of kids asking for his autograph, as he took the walk of shame, mine was the only programme he signed.

David Hirst.... By an absolute country mile.

He was the complete striker, pace, power, good with his left, good with his right, good in the air and the hardest shot in football.

In 1992-1993 he was the best striker in the country.

Giles de Bilde. Went to a Stevenage away friendly during the 1999 or 2000 pre season I think, was about 10 years old. De Bilde was crocked on the sidelines, I went up to him really shyly with my dad to get his autograph, and he smiled and happily signed. I was starstruck.. bit weird looking back now. 

Guest Distraught!

Rodger Wylde LEGEND

I expected you to come out with some obscure name from the end of the Nineteenth Century.  :biggrin: