Tell us about your first big Sheffield Wednesday hero

Chris Waddlle!! One of the main reasons I started following Wednesday! Loved how easily he could beat a man with the drop of a shoulder or a step over.

Great passing range on him and could strike a mean dead ball! The type of player to get you out of your seat!! Class!

Loved em all but for me special mention must go to Colin Dobson. Spoke about this before, but what the heck....

The day after JFK was assassinated we were at home to Wolves, by that time Wolves were on the slide and the game was a bit of a gime'. The goal that day that Dobson made for Bronco was barely believable, Dobson had worke his way to the goal line on the left side of the area at the Leppings Lane end. He had little or no support but Layne was making forward ground. Dobson completed three little close control overheads as Bronco made ground. Dobsons final overhead was hit more firmly and had Layne not made the ground the ball would have bounced a little further out than the penalty spot. Bronco had no intention of letting the ball bounce, a diving header, that must have had the skin off the tip of his nose, sent the ball crashing in the net with tremendous power.

One of the Sunday papers, the next day, carried diagrams of how the goal had been achieved.

Sad day for me when Alan Brown decided in 1965 he would rather have Brian Usher as a squad wide man !      

Remember that goal well....have always said it was probably about the best I've ever seen. Bear in mind too that the player that Dobson skinned with the three overhead kicks was England regular and Wolves legend Ron Flowers...no mug!

Edited by lesbarbeux

I was lucky as when I was a kid I witnessed the great days as in late 80's early 90's so I have a few Hirsty, Sheridan, Waddle. I am sure theres a few more I have forgot though.

funny how we all remember things differently,i recall the late 80s as a bad time for the club dire football at the end of wilko,s reign and Eustace taking over,some terrible players west /galvin/may spring to mind low attendances only just avoiding relegation in 89 and then going down the following season.

Loved em all but for me special mention must go to Colin Dobson. Spoke about this before, but what the heck....

The day after JFK was assassinated we were at home to Wolves, by that time Wolves were on the slide and the game was a bit of a gime'. The goal that day that Dobson made for Bronco was barely believable, Dobson had worke his way to the goal line on the left side of the area at the Leppings Lane end. He had little or no support but Layne was making forward ground. Dobson completed three little close control overheads as Bronco made ground. Dobsons final overhead was hit more firmly and had Layne not made the ground the ball would have bounced a little further out than the penalty spot. Bronco had no intention of letting the ball bounce, a diving header, that must have had the skin off the tip of his nose, sent the ball crashing in the net with tremendous power.

One of the Sunday papers, the next day, carried diagrams of how the goal had been achieved.

Sad day for me when Alan Brown decided in 1965 he would rather have Brian Usher as a squad wide man !

I liked Dobson but he wasn't a alan brown sort of player in that he lacked a bit of bottle and heart .shame though coz he did have summat about him and was certainly better than usher .

funny how we all remember things differently,i recall the late 80s as a bad time for the club dire football at the end of wilko,s reign and Eustace taking over,some terrible players west /galvin/may spring to mind low attendances only just avoiding relegation in 89 and then going down the following season.

I liked Dobson but he wasn't a alan brown sort of player in that he lacked a bit of bottle and heart .shame though coz he did have summat about him and was certainly better than usher .

Chris Waddle was my first actual hero. I remember watching take the absolute p1ss out of many a defender purely for his own amusement. Pure genius and we won't see anyone as good at Hillsborough again. David Hirst was up there as well and Chris Woods as I wanted to be a keeper. I remember exactly where I was when I heard we had signed him, on a beach in Cornwall.

Peter Swan 'til it all went sour. Best centre half I've seen in a Wednesday shirt (Des a very close second; what a pairing they'd have been).

Ron Springett took his place as my hero after the scandal.

2 good choices there mate .....how lucky were we to be around back then .