Tell us about your first big Sheffield Wednesday hero

I also went onto idolise Lee Bullen, purely from a footballing perspective.

He played in all positions for Wednesday, and a couple of years later I ended up playing in all 11 positions in a season for my team.

I was a keeper by trade, but filled in anywhere needed.

I called myself the ultimate utility player.

Or maybe I was just poo poo and they shoved me wherever.... lol

John Hickton for me, great old fashioned centre forward who seemed to score every time I went to watch as a young un. One of our biggest transfer blunders letting him go to Middlesbrough wher he became a legend

Johnny Fanthams the first I can remember noticing...

I can remember me dad taking me too his barbers shop in Division St.

We lived in the Saddle pub on West St at the time me dad was manager, later moving to the Star and Garter....Kept going to the Barbers, but only saw Fantham once when he popped in...I can remember nervously asking for his autograph...he wrote it on a napkin, I didn't have pen or paper..The striking thing about him at the time were his shoulders...they looked the width of the door, but that might have been cos it was the first time I ever saw anyone in a suit...

Guest Blinking owl

RON SPRINGETT AND JOHNNY FANTHAM. They were different class. ..God knows what they would be worth nowadays. ..just sheer class. ..

Loved em all but for me special mention must go to Colin Dobson. Spoke about this before, but what the heck....

The day after JFK was assassinated we were at home to Wolves, by that time Wolves were on the slide and the game was a bit of a gime'. The goal that day that Dobson made for Bronco was barely believable, Dobson had worke his way to the goal line on the left side of the area at the Leppings Lane end. He had little or no support but Layne was making forward ground. Dobson completed three little close control overheads as Bronco made ground. Dobsons final overhead was hit more firmly and had Layne not made the ground the ball would have bounced a little further out than the penalty spot. Bronco had no intention of letting the ball bounce, a diving header, that must have had the skin off the tip of his nose, sent the ball crashing in the net with tremendous power.

One of the Sunday papers, the next day, carried diagrams of how the goal had been achieved.

Sad day for me when Alan Brown decided in 1965 he would rather have Brian Usher as a squad wide man !      

Guest The Horse

Dalian Atkinson.

Hirst went on to become a legend but when I first started going in '89 it was all about Dalian.

He had the speed, skill and just pure raw dynamism that made him stand out.

although i first watched the owls in 1984, an semi regular from 89. i never really had a big hero until shezza came along.

the way he played football was just different, could play a slow tempo, yet still seemed to have so much time!!

I know we had loads of other great players around that time, an i proper loved them all (nearly all) but shezza, even 

though he worshipped on ere' an by our fans - i still think he's under-rated. 

remember the 94 world cup in the usa when we didnt even qualify. but i was so excited to see shezza for rep Ireland.

and he didnt disappoint. seem to remember he crashed a volley against the bar from edge of the box. vs Italy maybe.