Blackburn v Wednesday 1980

Guest PenangOwl

we stopped off in Darwen on the way to the match and found a right good pie shop. As luck would have it, there was a pub right opposite and the landlord let us in. great it was and he said "Hey lads, whatever the result, come back after the game - you're good lads" so we did and and had a right good night. Whenever we played Blackburn afterwards, we always went back to the same pub and the landlord and the locals remembered us..and not because we broke the bog seat either! That's the night when the police had to pull the Wednesdayites out of the terraces over the fences for fear of people being crushed inside.

one of the best atmospheres i have ever experienced, hard to describe really you had to be there. we were down the side terracing, i'm 6.2 and i could hardly see the game at times because of the crush and everybody jammed in and getting literally swept off your feet at times. Great thread Sheri brought some fantastic memories back. little things like walking up a bloody great hill back to car with everyone singing and ecstatic...........Happy days.

Remembering this match always makes me smile

Travelling over the Moor's in a Mini-bus and we were passing a cyclist ( all kitted out, Lycra, adverts, the lot)

So one of the lads decide's to stick his arm out of the window- result=one irate cyclist in a ditch and one nutcase with a broken elbow

We went on the side Terrace at the match and when the second goal went in I turned round to gloat at their fan's and a bloke about 80 was giving me the rod's and then cobbed his pie at me.

Still makes me chuckle lol

What great memories of a fantastic night for any Wednesdayite lucky enough to be there.

Didn't matter where you were whether it was motorway services,chippies pubs or off licences it was rammed with our fans.

The " OVER HERE OVER THERE" chant could have been made just for that night.

Have an MP3 copy of Brian Joiceys recording, can i upload it here?

To my eternal regret I couldn't get to this but listened to this commentary. Even in the front room of a small terraced house I assure you the atmosphere was brilliant, I was shaking with joy when the winner went in. I'd love to hear it again.

Any chance that cassette recording could be uploaded onto here ? I'd LOVE to hear that !!!

We were sat in main Blackburn stand that night. We went mental when we scored and all fell over on top of Blackburn fans in front. They weren't happy, but we were bloody ecstatic. One of the top ten great Wednesday matches that

There is footage of this match. I have a mate who is a Blackburn fan, and he says the goals were shown on the regional ITV Granada equivalent to Calander. I have never seen the goals, but i did see the local news action when we lost to Exeter and actually gained promotion.

I was there too near the corner flag with Wednesday fans behind the goal and all the way down the side. Absolute bedlam when that second goal went in. 500,000 Wednesday fans - or so it felt like - in a crowd of 26,000.

When you highlight one of your favourite games of all time as a 2-1 win at Blackburn in the third division thirty years ago, most people would assume you were nuts. But anyone who was there will never forget it. It was a hugely defining game on a par with the Boxing Day Massacre in 1979 and the Carlisle game at the end of last season.

Wonderful memories.

still my favourite ever wednesday away game. i remember the wednesday end going barmy when mellor scored with a diving header but have never experienced anything like it since when taylor made it 2-1.

to this day i have never heard singing as loud as when we left the ground that night, i reckon there must have been 12-15,000 wednesday fans there that night. also remeber my dad getting his wallet nicked at the match.

There is footage of this match. I have a mate who is a Blackburn fan, and he says the goals were shown on the regional ITV Granada equivalent to Calander. I have never seen the goals, but i did see the local news action when we lost to Exeter and actually gained promotion.

I concur but I thought it was on look north, deffo footage saw it myself the Wednesday end looked flipping mental when Ian Mellor headed the winner! What a night we sold 9,000 tickets for this match and remember it like it was yesterday, etched in the heart forever!

wow is probably the best way to describe the whole event. Why 15000 fans out of a 25000 crowd the actual match losing 1-0 at halftime score equaliser Few mins second half and score the winner with 9 mins remaining.Everyone and I do mean everyone dancing outside the ground random cuddling and the realisation that Wednesday lead by Jack Carlton were back. The anti climax weeks later when we realised that we had not missed the 2nd division lol. The noise of Wednesday fans singing the blues will live with me forever. The last game of last season felt exactly the same lol Wow how hard it must be to be a Blade lol yes yes yes

Edited by SheffieldGraduate

I was living in N Z at the time , phoning home every 10 mins to check the score - cost me a fortune - and my mates at work thought I was an absolute nutter when the final whistle went.They weren't used to such things ,specially mid - morning their time.Happy days.

OP here.....................

Pity that no footage is available but as everyone has been saying WHAT A NIGHT!!!

A lot of paralells could be drawn with this season , coming from behind to overtake the blunts and the feeling that better times lay ahead after a decade of dross.

I went with my dad on a coach from the forty foot and we were one of the lucky few to get stand seats and had a great view of the goals and the seething carnage of all the Owls behind the net.

The support was unreal.........................we were everywhere and on the way home our coach pulled up at what we thought was a quiet pub.

We opened the front door and the first thing i saw was a stark b@llock Wednesdayite holding a tall bottle of pale ale in each hand singing "Bye Bye Blackburn".

The place was heaving and the poor landlord didnt know whether to laugh at his takings or cry at the state of his pub.

Wonderful memories that still bring a lump to my throat and for any fan of my generation a real watershed moment.

I was living in Blackpool at the time and travelled over with a couple of Blackpool mates who were Man City supporters. Got to the turn stile at the away end and the bloke said "sorry lads we're full" so bunged him a tenner between us and he let us in. Absolutely unbelievable night, when the winning goal went in .... Incredible !! My MCFC mates said they'd never experienced an atmosphere like it ... Unforgettable game

To my eternal regret it's one match I missed. Bloody typical.....even though I was living in London I'd gone to places like Shrewsbury on a weeing down Tuesday, hitch-hiked to Carlisle (and seen us lose to a last minute goal) and spent countless nights sleeping on train platforms but I flipping missed the one match I never should have.

But what I do remember is Spider saying in the following Saturday's Green Un that his winning goal was completely unintentional. He'd charged into the box and tripped over his own leg....but somehow had seen the ball coming and aimed for it. And it went in.

I always loved Spider.