Blackburn v Wednesday 1980

Watching the Brentford v Wednesday highlights on the aggresive player thread set me thinking.

Does any video footage exist of the night we all but clinched promotion when we licked Blackburn 2 - 1..............................................to this day it remains one of the best atmospheres i,ve ever experienced at a Wednesday match but i cant recall ever seeing the goals repeated anywhere.

Anyone help??

Doubt that there is any footage, but what a fantastic night; it's been talked about on here loads and for anyone who wasn't around at the time, almost impossible to describe. I've seen estimates of the Owls following range from 5k to 15k and I've honestly no idea how many went, just remember us being everywhere.

Also remember baldy Brotherston worrying me to death every time he got the ball, Ticker Taylor and (Mellor?) goals and looking back knowing that if I celebrated now like I did that night, I would be certain heart attack material. Don't remember much more except strangely how quiet the ICO train was on the way back, as if everyone were just knackered by the experience.

• Like 1

Video footage would be interesting. I doubt there is any. Never seen any. not even years ago.

I went with my dad in the car. Because it was a packed standing terrace I went and climbed on the fence at the front (remember them?) to watch the game.

The Wednesday end went mental when we equalised and when the winner went in- well some random bloke hugged me so hard I nearly popped, then he threw me a few feet in the air in celebration. Never since has there been anything like it.

We even stopped at the motorway services on the way back as a treat- unheard of!

Brilliant brilliant night

• Like 2

i remember taking my mate in the car, got there early and the boozers were shut (to us)...

so we got into the ground way early, seemed to have been there ages...

'bout 15 minutes from the ko. looked around and thought i expected a bigger turn out than this...

when the football special must have pulled in, you couldn't shift...

i didn't see either of our goals, just the top of the net ripple...

best footballing night of my life...

• Love 1

Fantastic night. All I can remember is going mental when the second goal went in and ending up ten yards further forward from where I'd been standing I also lost my specs in the rummage. The rest of the game was just a blur literally and we all went home whorse but happy. Six thousand full backs and only one Terry Curran.

I was 12 when this was played. I didn't go but I vividly remember listening to the updates on Radio Hallam.... The Abba track 'chiquitita' was on and it was 1-1 with less than 10 to go..... Good old Benny tickled the ivories and the presenter blurted out that Ticker Taylor had put Wednesday 2-1 up.

It was the first time that I swore in front of my Dad lol x

• Like 1

I was 12 when this was played. I didn't go but I vividly remember listening to the updates on Radio Hallam.... The Abba track 'chiquitita' was on and it was 1-1 with less than 10 to go..... Good old Benny tickled the ivories and the presenter blurted out that Ticker Taylor had put Wednesday 2-1 up.

It was the first time that I swore in front of my Dad lol x

That was the last i saw of the match, my specs came off and they were danced on by a hord of crazy fans. I recovered them but they were useless.

I was 17 and got arrested for blowing a friggin whistle.....missed the coach and hitch hiked back to Barnsley and got my dad to collect me from there and take me back to Dronfield....thought he was going to bleedin' kill me lol......what a night

• Haha 2

Guest Buggleskkely

One of the best. Still makes me smile. Standing Room only...u don't know wot u missed children.

I was there too near the corner flag with Wednesday fans behind the goal and all the way down the side. Absolute bedlam when that second goal went in. 500,000 Wednesday fans - or so it felt like - in a crowd of 26,000.

When you highlight one of your favourite games of all time as a 2-1 win at Blackburn in the third division thirty years ago, most people would assume you were nuts. But anyone who was there will never forget it. It was a hugely defining game on a par with the Boxing Day Massacre in 1979 and the Carlisle game at the end of last season.

Wonderful memories.

• Like 2