Who went to this?

yes I went  the swiss team were classed as the "home team" so they played most of their matches  also so West Germany play against them .Franz beckenbaur was brilliant

My dad worked selling some kind of development tickets so that's how I managed to go.

On 12/07/2017 at 11:56, mogbad said:

I went to Switzerland v Argentina

I went to that one, the atmosphere was great, not only in and around the stadium, but also in the city centre, it's very difficult to explain what the 1960's were like, I wouldn't have wanted to spend my teens and early 20's in any other decade.

Homelessness is not new before the time the World Cup Groups were put on in Sheffield we had a homeless Lady who practically lived in the Sheffield Bus station in Pond Street.

Everyone knew her as Nora. Nora was completely harmless. However, her mental state would not allow anyone to walk past her without shouting out some profanity or other nonsense at them. No problem, we all knew Nora. The City elders, who had given very little credence to the plight of Nora prior to the World Cup organised a section for her under the Mental Health Act in order that our visiting fans would not be offended. So Nora became a guest of Middlewood Hospital for the duration of the World Cup group stages along with other ladies detained their for years; Their only crime becoming pregnant and cast out by their families.

I don't recall seeing much of Nora after 66, obviously passed on now, but would love to know.        

5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Homelessness is not new before the time the World Cup Groups were put on in Sheffield we had a homeless Lady who practically lived in the Sheffield Bus station in Pond Street.

Everyone knew her as Nora. Nora was completely harmless. However, her mental state would not allow anyone to walk past her without shouting out some profanity or other nonsense at them. No problem, we all knew Nora. The City elders, who had given very little credence to the plight of Nora prior to the World Cup organised a section for her under the Mental Health Act in order that our visiting fans would not be offended. So Nora became a guest of Middlewood Hospital for the duration of the World Cup group stages along with other ladies detained their for years; Their only crime becoming pregnant and cast out by their families.

I don't recall seeing much of Nora after 66, obviously passed on now, but would love to know.        

A sad story

http://www.funfiles.plus.com/sheffield/sheff_characters/pond_street_nora/pond_street_nora.htm