Success failure or progress?

Wondering what fellow Owls are thinking about their season assessments given the extremes of being promoted (success) or missing the play offs (failure) are still possible?

At the risk of setting off a mild clapper alarm, even if Barnsley Mick has a surprise up his donkey jacket, I think that the club has progressed this year - better squad better crowds better points tally nowhere near 15 points off third etc. True, it hasn't been as fluid sometimes but we have to accept teams are setting up to stifle us more now we are established as one of the better teams in the division. 

The only difference losing on Saturday makes is that the game against Fulham could become the first of four rather than three play off games. I do worry that after this run of victories, S6 could be shrouded in a mardy a@se "get rid of everyone / promotion a divine right" ash cloud if things don't go how we hope.

Whatever happens, IMO 2016-17 has proved SWFC is still headed in the right direction.

In other words, we're on our way.

UTO 

Very much progress, I expected this season to be much tougher due to the teams who came down.

It turns out they underperformed but we had some surprise teams enter the play-off race.

We could very easily have been in Derby's position this season and it shows that Carlos is a good manager. 

Lets put it this way, I would be VERY surprised if Huddersfield or Reading have a season like this next season.

13 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Progress is a word used by people who seem happy to accept failure. If we don't go up we will start next season on zero points and any 'progress' will count for nothing.

The OP states missing the playoffs is failure but what's the difference between finishing 6th losing in the playoffs and finishing 7th?

Of course it counts for something.

Becoming a better team/squad year on year will logically end in us gaining promotion.

We've only been in the race for 2 seasons and we're getting closer by becoming a stronger team. Our points total, gained in arguably a tougher year, shows that.

"Accept failure" lol

Edited by Donny.Owl

7 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Progress is a word used by people who seem happy to accept failure. If we don't go up we will start next season on zero points and any 'progress' will count for nothing.

The OP states missing the playoffs is failure but what's the difference between finishing 6th losing in the playoffs and finishing 7th?

Would you consider finishing 3rd and losing in the play offs any different to a 7th place finish?

We have improved year upon year since 2010, better players every year, better league table standing. 

We are certainly progressing on and off the field. 

I have a feeling if we get to Wembley this year then we will win after last season's experience, we will know what needs to be done this time. 

I think this year is our year, I'm not sure why but just a gut feeling. We have gone under the radar, last year it was all about us and it did put a bit of pressure on us. 

Pundits are all about Huddersfield and Fulham - that's fine we will just keep winning our games and lift the trophy in May. 

Probably a sentimental feeling I have though, my gran said after last seasons final she couldn't wait for this season as she knew we would do it, she died two weeks before the season started, my grandad said she will do the business and guide us to promotion from above and I should look forward to it. He died just before the Villa game. I just hope they true to their word and they have never let me down yet. 

It would be fitting to finish the season as play off champions as we have lost some well known owls fans this season. A nice fitting tribute to them. 

Regardless of the outcome though, we are progressing year on year as a club and as a fanbase. 

45 minutes ago, saf said:

Would you consider finishing 3rd and losing in the play offs any different to a 7th place finish?

I would. 

Finishing 7th would be a failure.

Making the play-offs but losing in the final is another thing entirely. If we do that but lose with a whimper like last year, it's not progress. But a gallant final defeat would be some modest progress.

I always thought first and foremost this season was all about proving that last season's was not a flash in the pan.

We've done that. We have more points than last season but as of yet we're not guaranteed to finish higher and we could still finish lower( look at me going a bit Bruce Forsyth there WTF:)

I've said before that the strengthening of the squad rather than the first eleven even though that policy has come in for some criticism, it's got us to where we are IMO. Last season we wouldn't have coped without having Hutchinson, FF, Lee, Lees and Hooper unavailable for long periods.

The greater experience we have now as made a massive difference in the run-in, in particular with the way we're forcing our way in to the Top 6 rather than stumbling our way in to it.

It hasn't all been plain sailing, we've lost more games and scored less goals. Our defensive record is similar but we've won more games and got closer to the Top 2.

I feel we need to crack 80 points if possible as it would be a good achievement after cracking 70 points plus last season and set us up for a crack at the Top 2 next season should we fail to go up this.

Thst said the players are showing that they've got the determination to put last years disappointment behind them and get the job done and I think the best team in the entire universe will have to wait at least one more season to come for us :manager:

8 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Oh you're back.

8 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Wondering what fellow Owls are thinking about their season assessments given the extremes of being promoted (success) or missing the play offs (failure) are still possible?

At the risk of setting off a mild clapper alarm, even if Barnsley Mick has a surprise up his donkey jacket, I think that the club has progressed this year - better squad better crowds better points tally nowhere near 15 points off third etc. True, it hasn't been as fluid sometimes but we have to accept teams are setting up to stifle us more now we are established as one of the better teams in the division. 

The only difference losing on Saturday makes is that the game against Fulham could become the first of four rather than three play off games. I do worry that after this run of victories, S6 could be shrouded in a mardy a@se "get rid of everyone / promotion a divine right" ash cloud if things don't go how we hope.

Whatever happens, IMO 2016-17 has proved SWFC is still headed in the right direction.

In other words, we're on our way.

UTO 

I think making the play offs will show we're still making good progress and consistently being one of the top Championship clubs going for promotion. But in the end, play offs is a cup and entirely different competition after a long season, and impossible to say which of the four teams will go up. Getting top two spots will automatically promote you, getting into the play offs is entirely different story.

Despite struggling performances, the fact that we're currently in 5th and any play off place is achievable, goes a long way to show the character of the team, and this squad has had its big share of injuries and stuff going on. Anything from disciplinary actions to losing 2 of the most influential players (Hooper + Lee) late in 2016 could upset a team and we could've bottled it like certain other clubs (*cough* Villa *cough* Norwich *cough* Derby *cough* Birmingham *double cough* Blackburn!), but instead the big squad has had ample substitutions who have stood up. Of course, this has probably given Carlos a bigger headache with team selection, having to change the starting XI a lot throughout the season and not getting that stability needed for the team to gel; and consequently leading to struggling performances. In addition to not having the element of surprise on our opponents any longer; teams meeting Sheffield Wednesday this season met the runner-up from the play offs finale of 2016 and some games we've been facing 11 men in defence.

For all those changes on and off the pitch, and to still hang in there every week and fight to the death of every match for every point, shows we're definitely on our way.

UTO!

8 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Sorry but for me this post spells out why some football fans (not just at Wednesday) will never be happy and makes football pointless. 

According to that belief then for 'our' team to succeed then every 'other' team has to fail; which means every other club must then sack their manager, bin off all their players and start again.

Of course the same logic then dictates that if we don't win the League every season thereafter, by an ever increasing margin and playing ever better football, then we have therefore 'failed' to live up to the new standard and we must therefore sack our manager, bin off all our players and start again.

ad infinitum ....