Success failure or progress?

8 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Progress is a word used by people who seem happy to accept failure. If we don't go up we will start next season on zero points and any 'progress' will count for nothing.

The OP states missing the playoffs is failure but what's the difference between finishing 6th losing in the playoffs and finishing 7th?

Well in one scenario we'll have achieved what was most probably a realistic pre-season aim, whereas in the other scenario we won't.

Obviously we want to win promotion, but to simplify matters to the point of a binary distinction between 'success' and 'failure' is to overlook the shades of grey that need to be considered when assessing a club's performance across a whole season.

In the worst case scenario, at the start of next season our progress will count for nothing only in terms of league points. But if you factor in the strength of our squad, their readiness to win promotion, and our standing as a club who can attract the very best players at this level, then our club will have definitely made progress, regardless of whether or not we lose in the playoffs.

The only reason you see it as 'accepting failure' is because you define success in such narrow and rigid terms that the odds are stacked against us achieving it.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 hour ago, tuttuttut said:

We have improved year upon year since 2010, better players every year, better league table standing. 

We are certainly progressing on and off the field. 

I have a feeling if we get to Wembley this year then we will win after last season's experience, we will know what needs to be done this time. 

I think this year is our year, I'm not sure why but just a gut feeling. We have gone under the radar, last year it was all about us and it did put a bit of pressure on us. 

Pundits are all about Huddersfield and Fulham - that's fine we will just keep winning our games and lift the trophy in May. 

Probably a sentimental feeling I have though, my gran said after last seasons final she couldn't wait for this season as she knew we would do it, she died two weeks before the season started, my grandad said she will do the business and guide us to promotion from above and I should look forward to it. He died just before the Villa game. I just hope they true to their word and they have never let me down yet. 

It would be fitting to finish the season as play off champions as we have lost some well known owls fans this season. A nice fitting tribute to them. 

Regardless of the outcome though, we are progressing year on year as a club and as a fanbase. 

So sorry for your families loss. Brought tears to my eyes reading that.

Last years top 6

2 automatics promoted, 1 via play offs

leaves 3 to carry forward.

Of those 3, 1 automatic promoted, we are trying again, only 1 dropped completely out of the reckoning.... Derby.

The only surprise is who the play off competition is......not who you would have thought from last year.

I still think this season has to go down as semi successful in that we haven't gone backwards. There is a part of me that wonders if we could/should have been able to do a Brighton this season though and could we have done better? Obviously we'll never know but if we don't go up but finish in the play-offs then think Carlos will be given another chance. I'm sure though that he will only get until Christmas if we are not in the mix of the top 2 which is a big ask. Progression is just that though....improvement.

I worried about this season after Wembley.  Even after investing in the squad and hearing "On Our Way" first match in the sunshine versus Villa, I thought we might suffer a hangover after losing the final and we have in a few ways which with hindsight, was inevitable.

Our performance last season ramped up some supporters' expectations to the point of delusion.

The way we got there, then lost and manner in which the other teams were promoted has obviously affected Carlos' approach to the season and not forgetting how others approach playing us.

Amongst all the comments and interviews pre match and post games etc there is one that stands out for me and that was Hutchinson after the victory at Newcastle on Boxing Day and referencing a collective determination to put things right this time around.

We have made the transition to bringing in a few more big fish in our little pond without it causing too many ripples and FF flapping about was managed very well by those who are still new to all this.

They, the lot of 'em, have brought us back here with 2 league games to go and in with a shout of going one better on last year.  I can't help but feel it's an achievement in itself.

I gave up on superstition (nearly), "our year" and my lucky trainers especially but I sincerely hope we can do it for @tuttuttut's nan and grandad having read his post and a good few others who have passed along the way.  I also hope we do it to secure the long-term future of this great club and finally I hope we do it to show those fuckingidiots what a proper promotion looks like!

Let's see but if we secure a spot I think we'll go one better and if not then I'm just glad we're having this conversation, i.e. comparing relative success and failure at the top of the division, with 2 games to go.

Let's fuckinghave it Wednesday!!

The question is not whether you label not getting promoted as "failure" or "progress" but how you react to it.

My view is that sacking Carlos for not achieving promotion this season would be unwise, as would Brighton sacking Hughton have been a year ago. I accept that different views have some validity.

The whole "you accept failure nah nah nah" narrative, on the other hand, is tedious and unrelated to the actual issues.

10 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

We are last season's Hull. Quality will count at Wembley when Rhodes fires winner, as he's done before.

We are in the sense that we've learned how to win when we are not at our best and against the top sides we've played wel...l the better the opposition has been the better we've played. DC and CC will already planning to improve the team for next season regardless of wether we go up

16 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Progress is a word used by people who seem happy to accept failure. If we don't go up we will start next season on zero points and any 'progress' will count for nothing.

The OP states missing the playoffs is failure but what's the difference between finishing 6th losing in the playoffs and finishing 7th?

Gaining experience is the difference. Growing and building like Brighton did.

Did your mum not love you or something?