Advice for a new Owls fan

6 minutes ago, MelthamOwl10 said:

Hi all, 

I am new to Wednesday - first game was this season. 

Bit of back story about me - feel free to skip this part. I come from a rugby family, my dad has absolutely zero interest in football however I had a fascination with the sport from a young age. 

A mate of mine from school & college was a Chelsea fan. So I ended up going with him. For years I classed myself as a ‘Chelsea fan’ despite feeling no connection with the club. As a proud Yorkshire lad, really struggled to build any connection with the club despite spending £££ on following them all over. 

Fast forward to this year, I decided to make a trip to Hillsborough on a whim. I have been to several home games this year and already have more of a connection and feel more at home among you Wednesdayites - than I ever did in 10 years of going to Chelsea. 

I understand this may well open myself up to some abuse from the rest of you and maybe deserved for not ‘supporting my local’. 

However, this has been a long winded way of getting to my question.

I am wanting to go both home and away next year. Now I keep an eye on how unbelievably quickly away tickets sell out. Now my initial plan was to purchase an owls membership, however seeing how quick away tickets sell out. Would I stand much chance of getting away tickets on a membership or would I be better off getting a season ticket - despite the expense. 

Thanks for your help. 

And to those fans who have welcomed me at the games I have been to this year! 

Always good to gain new fans - welcome to the madhouse.

Even with a season ticket you will struggle to get tickets for many away games - with a membership it will be very difficult.

• Like 2

Choosing to support Wednesday will be the worst and best decision you've ever made!

Welcome to the gang.

To answer your question, you'll need to build up the points to get further up the queue when away tickets are released. A season ticket will help but still won't be enough. You'll prob have to go to games that have low demand e.g away in the cups to build them up. 

• Like 1

You're going to get a really quick introduction to the full range of emotions on the crazy roller coaster ride that is being a Wednesday fan so welcome aboard!

As far as away tickets are concerned, good luck as very few games make it to general sale, but if you get in quickly Blackburn might be a good one to start with.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MelthamOwl10 said:

Hi all, 

I am new to Wednesday - first game was this season. 

Bit of back story about me - feel free to skip this part. I come from a rugby family, my dad has absolutely zero interest in football however I had a fascination with the sport from a young age. 

A mate of mine from school & college was a Chelsea fan. So I ended up going with him. For years I classed myself as a ‘Chelsea fan’ despite feeling no connection with the club. As a proud Yorkshire lad, really struggled to build any connection with the club despite spending £££ on following them all over. 

Fast forward to this year, I decided to make a trip to Hillsborough on a whim. I have been to several home games this year and already have more of a connection and feel more at home among you Wednesdayites - than I ever did in 10 years of going to Chelsea. 

I understand this may well open myself up to some abuse from the rest of you and maybe deserved for not ‘supporting my local’. 

However, this has been a long winded way of getting to my question.

I am wanting to go both home and away next year. Now I keep an eye on how unbelievably quickly away tickets sell out. Now my initial plan was to purchase an owls membership, however seeing how quick away tickets sell out. Would I stand much chance of getting away tickets on a membership or would I be better off getting a season ticket - despite the expense. 

Thanks for your help. 

And to those fans who have welcomed me at the games I have been to this year! 

Welcome to the asylum.

• Like 2

First piece of advice: don't follow Wednesday. It'll ruin your life.

If you want a lifetime of sporting misery though, a membership might get you to a few away games in the Championship but barely any in League One.

Question for you..

You said you came to Hillsborough on a whim, why, why Wednesday ?

Interested.. Life long Owl and in my time stood/sat next to follow Owls from all over the place with all sorts of accents. Some like you but many with Dads from Sheffield that’s exiled and have followed on rather than go to their local..

Took a mate from work a few times who’s from Watford, we’re now his local team, he even follows the Steelers.

1 minute ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

Question for you..

You said you came to Hillsborough on a whim, why, why Wednesday ?

Interested.. Life long Owl and in my time stood/sat next to follow Owls from all over the place with all sorts of accents. Some like you but many with Dads from Sheffield that’s exiled and have followed on rather than go to their local..

Took a mate from work a few times who’s from Watford, we’re now his local team, he even follows the Steelers.

Already had a blue scarf.

• Haha 3

Better get a good cardiologist on speed dial...

Also be prepared to be cursed by your future grandchildren....  it won't end well... LOL

If that don't scare you...  Welcome to the Massive... (well.. sort of massive)....

• Haha 1

Please, please, please think long and hard about this.

It will be worse than a misspelt tattoo, worse than having that child you never wanted, worse than buying a bloody Toyota Prius, it will be a burden you will carry for a lifetime.

There is no escape, no exit from this endless torment.

Welcome aboard, WAWAW!