On a Lighter note.

Can you name the best Manager's in your time of being a Wednesdayite:

In my time 55 yrs+:

1) Jack Charlton: Took on the club at it's lowest level, no money to even run the grass cutter, but took us to the verge of the old 1st Division in 5 years.

2) Howard Wilkinson: Took us to the Promised land, beating Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, and if it hadn't been for Heysel would have took us intpo Europe.

3) Ron Atkinson : Took over a struggling team to turn them into a top 3 1st division team and win the 1st major trophy in 56 years.

4) Moore Took over a poor team and rebuilt the team to win promotion back into the championship.

IF Rholl can keep us up, that will be some achievement, and would put him ahead of Moore.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Always found Paul Sturrock to be the ‘best’ in how well liked he was, and he achieved something with us. 

Laws I see as a decent bloke, and did his best 

I found Carlos to be pretty smooth and charming… just as a manager, I didn’t go on a date with him or anything

However, I think Röhl is the man. Modern, young, forward thinking, clever, positive… please god don’t let him be with us when we’re relegated 

1. Sir Howard Wilkinson

A lot to do with my age at the time and being the man who got us back to the top league for the first time since I started going at the age of 5 in 1971. He was one of us and he was innovative, ambitious and got results. Unfortunately after 3 years he was not backed to take us to the next level - top 6 finishes, quarter and semi finals of cups every year. What would we do for that now? 

Also best quote ever by a Wednesday manager: "I came here to win the European Cup"!

2. Jack Charlton

Basically dragged us out of the worst depths in our history and 10 years of depression. Showed us what success could be like. Best character as a manager at any club ever, never mind Wednesday.

3. Ron Atkinson

Got us relegated with a good squad but made up for it the following season with promotion and "dink".

I hope Danny Röhl stays as long as any of the above. He shows more promise and hope than any manager since Atkinson.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Putting Moore above the likes of Carlos and Trevor Francis is scandalous.

Maybe, based on tactics and recruitment but he was light years ahead of both in man management

• Like 2

7 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

In my time 55 yrs+:

1) Jack Charlton: Took on the club at it's lowest level, no money to even run the grass cutter, but took us to the verge of the old 1st Division in 5 years.

2) Howard Wilkinson: Took us to the Promised land, beating Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, and if it hadn't been for Heysel would have took us intpo Europe.

3) Ron Atkinson : Took over a struggling team to turn them into a top 3 1st division team and win the 1st major trophy in 56 years.

4) Moore Took over a poor team and rebuilt the team to win promotion back into the championship.

IF Rholl can keep us up, that will be some achievement, and would put him ahead of Moore.

7 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

In my time 55 yrs+:

A good selection there for sure  

I read a little on’t net about another old old manager the other day. Well worth

Looking up. I am referring to ‘Mr Sheffield Wednesday,’ Eric Taylor

He laid the post war  foundations as Secretary Manager  of the modern Wednesday  The list of exceptional players on his watch is amazing and there were two Division Two championship seasons on his watch

credit to the authors of the net articles. Well worth a read

1 hour ago, Wynyard Owl said:

good selection there for sure  

I read a little on’t net about another old old manager the other day. Well worth

He laid the post war  foundations as Secretary Manager  of the modern Wednesday  The list of exceptional players on his watch is amazing and there were two Division Two championship seasons on his watch

Ultimately, football is community and entertainment. The best deliverers of that in my time:

Moore - Football wasn't electrifying but was usually professional, and in terms of community I've never known a more natural leader and respectable human being in the role. The people we were and our attitudes before and following the Peterborough revival was like Wednesday was aglow with sheer positivity. Give this man time and he will succeed.

Sturrock - Team during his time was all over the place but that made it very entertaining, and again but to a lesser extent, his play-off campaign and final are shining memories.

Gray - I think Gray is an excellent manager but perhaps just doen't want to deal with all the crap that rolls onto your head when it's your job. Delivered some brilliant performances and gave Wednesday our ambition back. That Leeds match.  

Röhl - Difficult to pin down how his teams play, sometimes it's entertaining, sometimes not. I can't believe how quickly he won us all over, and with the exception of after this most recent match, Wednesday has felt very positive. As is often said, he's packed with talent and potential but given a duff hand. I want him to stay here but we're not an organised enough club for him to get much out of, unless big change happens. We as a fanbase should be on the warpath to keep Röhl and oust Chansi. Doubt either will happen.

Carlos - Huge personality which he brought into the team with his characterful players, and Great football. I remember a period when his side couldn't score from within 25 yards unless it was a Barca-like defence-opening pass-around. Made Adam Reach look like a Prem player. Outstayed his welcome, though, couldn't get a team playing together later on and unfortunately blamed others and outside circumstances, which is poor for any leader.

Striking that balance of Consilio et Animis in leadership is the key. Chansiri has neither. 

5 hours ago, Wynyard Owl said:

A good selection there for sure  

No mention of his 3 relegations then ....good administrator but not really a manager as he left the football side of things  to his coaches ....give him  his due  though as he signed all bar one of the great 58-61 side but they needed catterick to make them gel 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:
  1. on  lighter note...have you seen the goal the pigs have just conceded at anfield 😂🤣😅

Grbic living up to his name... at least what it sounds like when I pronounce it lol

F*ck it, I'm gonna talk about Brian Laws.

Love that dude. Came across as a great bloke, never heard anyone say otherwise. Seems like he genuinely loved the club. I know he got a job at Burnley as well but Laws always seemed like he had a genuine appreciation for the opportunity to manage Wednesday and that it would be the biggest job of his career.

Also, to get a Wednesday side in the top half of the table and briefly thinking about the Championship play-offs, with the side that he did and with the state of the club at the time, is by far the closest anyone has come to doing anything with Wednesday in this division other than Carlos' first 2 seasons (and I'd love to know what Laws could have done with that budget/talent).

• Like 1

Think in my time Howard Wilkinson.

He organised the club top to bottom.

Ron Atkinson and Jack Charlton are I think better remembered by some as they did have more charisma than Wilkinson but put Wilkinson slightly ahead of those 2.

Of the post premiership managers I think Sturrock, Laws and Moore all did good jobs.
Carlos Carvahaul yes got us playing good football but found it hard to warm to him personally, found a bit too full of himself and oily.
As my Grandma would say if he was made of chocolate he would eat himself.

Wilkinson first for me , a tad unlucky for us in some respects, Man City at home draw cost us a championship , Liverpool LGe Cup Quarter finals , same as the Chelsea game probably deserved more , and fine on a relative shoestring budget. 

Similar for Francis with injuries prior to the Cup Final games , BUT his man management skills were poor , so he comes in third place. 

Second Big Ron proved time and time again he was a Cup winning manager for 3 clubs, but a relegation and third place behind Oldham leaves me asking more questions about the daily slog of the League campaign.