On a Lighter note.

9 minutes ago, Jack of Clubs said:

You must be about 10 years old?! 🤣

My memory is pretty poor of managers predating the last 10 years or so.

I remember Sturrock, Laws, Megson, Gray but couldn't comment on how good they were as I was young during their time and didn't pay much attention during my teens.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

Maybe, based on tactics and recruitment but he was light years ahead of both in man management

You’re either having a laugh or delusional if you are dismissing Francis. He’s definitely top four with Atkinson, Big Jack and Wilkinson.; arguably top two. We had the best team and played the best football I’ve seen at Hillsborough when Francis was manager. He took us to third in the top flight and qualified for Europe. He then took us to two cup finals in the same year He signed Waddle, Walker and Bright, and convinced Nilsson and Sheridan to stay. He then converted Warhurst into a very good striker. He also identified and almost signed Cantona (and before we here the “I want to see him on grass” thing, I heard that when Leeds heard he was over here, we didn’t stand a chance as they were the better options for League Champions and that made the difference).

Yet, you don’t rate Francis as top five - bizarre. 

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

Wilkinson first for me , a tad unlucky for us in some respects, Man City at home draw cost us a championship , Liverpool LGe Cup Quarter finals , same as the Chelsea game probably deserved more , and fine on a relative shoestring budget. 

Similar for Francis with injuries prior to the Cup Final games , BUT his man management skills were poor , so he comes in third place. 

Second Big Ron proved time and time again he was a Cup winning manager for 3 clubs, but a relegation and third place behind Oldham leaves me asking more questions about the daily slog of the League campaign. 

I can go for this. Spot on. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shandypants said:

You’re either having a laugh or delusional if you are dismissing Francis. He’s definitely top four with Atkinson, Big Jack and Wilkinson.; arguably top two. We had the best team and played the best football I’ve seen at Hillsborough when Francis was manager. He took us to third in the top flight and qualified for Europe. He then took us to two cup finals in the same year He signed Waddle, Walker and Bright, and convinced Nilsson and Sheridan to stay. He then converted Warhurst into a very good striker. He also identified and almost signed Cantona (and before we here the “I want to see him on grass” thing, I heard that when Leeds heard he was over here, we didn’t stand a chance as they were the better options for League Champions and that made the difference).

Yet, you don’t rate Francis as top five - bizarre. 

Sorry but it wasn't me who excluded Francis from a top 4. It was the original post. I agree that Francis would be 4th or 5th. I was simply pointing out that Moore had at least one (much) stronger attribute in management than Francis.

Let's face it, it was known before we appointed Francis that his man management was poor (his time at QPR) and there are recorded concerns by players in 1992 to 1995 having serious concerns over his communication and motivational skills. What he wanted to do was right (cut out the unprofessionalism off the pitch, the drinking) but he didn't have the skills to do it.

He did take a good squad, and improved it with some good signings. But he then dismantled it very quickly and for some reason couldn't see all our midfield and attack needed was a bit of pace and we would have remained competitive.

I could never say that Francis built something (a team spirit, a togetherness needed to succeed) at the club in the way that Charlton, Wilkinson and (in his own circumstances from a very, very ĺow base ) Moore did.

But the Francis years 1991 to 1993 were a truly wonderful time to be a Wednesday fan.

2 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

Sorry but it wasn't me who excluded Francis from a top 4. It was the original post. I agree that Francis would be 4th or 5th. I was simply pointing out that Moore had at least one (much) stronger attribute in management than Francis.

Let's face it, it was known before we appointed Francis that his man management was poor (his time at QPR) and there are recorded concerns by players in 1992 to 1995 having serious concerns over his communication and motivational skills. What he wanted to do was right (cut out the unprofessionalism off the pitch, the drinking) but he didn't have the skills to do it.

He did take a good squad, and improved it with some good signings. But he then dismantled it very quickly and for some reason couldn't see all our midfield and attack needed was a bit of pace and we would have remained competitive.

I could never say that Francis built something (a team spirit, a togetherness needed to succeed) at the club in the way that Charlton, Wilkinson and (in his own circumstances from a very, very ĺow base ) Moore did.

But the Francis years 1991 to 1993 were a truly wonderful time to be a Wednesday fan.

Nailed it pal. Great times under Francis but dropped some absolute bo11ocks in the transfer market in his latter years. 

20 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Nailed it pal. Great times under Francis but dropped some absolute bo11ocks in the transfer market in his latter years. 

This is true, but I don't think we are signing Waddle, Woods and Walker without Francis and the pulling power of his name.

1 hour ago, archieswfc said:

Could no longer compete in the transfer market, it was already starting to leave some clubs behind. 

Although we did sign some questionable players. 

On 04/04/2024 at 18:03, Sykes said:

Carlos.

Röhl.

Moore.

I'm sure DR would have been top if he'd have been with us for more than ¾ of a season.

I'm guessing you're a teenager?

Ome on Big Jack top of the list without a doubt Wklko went up with his team with a few additions and for me big Ron was no.2  probs best football we have seen in our life time older Owls probably think different  also I  loved  watchi g us under Wilcko

5 hours ago, WimJunk said:

This is true, but I don't think we are signing Waddle, Woods and Walker without Francis and the pulling power of his name.

Maybe not compared to some of our managers but I'm sure they'd have all signed if Big Ron was manager.

I'm not a Francis hater by the way. It was time to go when he did and it did get hostile towards him at the end. He made mistakes for me, both in the transfer market and in his man management. Prefer to remember the good times nowadays, they're too few and far between not to.