Bannan/Poveda could miss Swansea

On 16/03/2024 at 20:28, sexpistol said:

Yes, the same Ross Barkley that is currently playing for premiership Luton.

And playing well. There was even talk of an England recall ! 

But good old Gareth picked Hendo 

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Have you ever watched him ?? A lot of us have and have the opinion that he isn’t miles off but could actually add something to a very weak midfield. 

Like any young player he is nowhere near the finished article but would be more of an asset than playing Palmer or Momo Diaby in CM. 

I’ve seen him play every game he’s had for the first team. He’s like a little kid running around. I’ll repeat what I said before…‘he’s on the bench for the reserves’. That means he’s NOWHERE near first team level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

I’ve seen him play every game he’s had for the first team. He’s like a little kid running around. I’ll repeat what I said before…‘he’s on the bench for the reserves’. That means he’s NOWHERE near first team level. 

Hes not on the bench for the reserves. He’s played all year but had a niggle and not been risked.

In his first team appearances he’s done well. But understand it’s all about opinions. 

A few games at our level and you’d see he is ready IMO but you never know until it’s tried.

• Like 3

Not the time to be throwing shipston into the starting lineup up if bannan isn’t fit 

I’m sure Röhl would opt more for diaby personally I’d go palmer with vaulks a little bit lacking in creativity granted 

but Ugbo up top with musaba and gassama out wide if poveda misses out too is good enough to beat Swansea 

will windass and Paterson be fit? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hes not on the bench for the reserves. He’s played all year but had a niggle and not been risked.

In his first team appearances he’s done well. But understand it’s all about opinions. 

A few games at our level and you’d see he is ready IMO but you never know until it’s tried.

Totally disagree but I respect your opinion. Well stated without the name calling many do on here. In all honesty, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong because it could save us a fortune.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

For this alone, we deserve to go down if we finish the season with this midfield.

And that is no slight on Vaulks, who has been excellent recently. It just highlights how glaring obvious it was to strength centre mid in January; when in fact, we made it worse.

Yep it will just show how lacking we are in midfield if we have to put Palmer in there.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

For this alone, we deserve to go down if we finish the season with this midfield.

And that is no slight on Vaulks, who has been excellent recently. It just highlights how glaring obvious it was to strength centre mid in January; when in fact, we made it worse.

No, no no.

We had a 'very good window', remember?

And that's a fact. Not up for debate in the slightest, apparently.

🙄

• Haha 1

On 16/03/2024 at 18:45, Broomhill Owl said:

I really don’t think we should have sent Byers out on loan.

On 16/03/2024 at 18:53, Hyde2005 said:

he has hardly set league 1 on fire at blackpool though.  we 100% needed 1/2 midfielders in the window , we have by far the worst centre mids in this league , there would be no takers at this level for bannan vaulks momo awful diaby and hendricks 

Blackpool fans are impressed with him.

image.png.d818f4c1c020717bc5fa3b3d95cf0aab.png

Then again a few don't seem to rate Poveda after someone recently suggested bringing him back to Blackpool.

https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/poveda-available-on-a-free.51754/

• Like 1

Byers is too good for league 1, but not quite good enough for the Championship, however, with these injuries he is probably better than the other options we have that are now fit.

Maybe Diaby gets up to speed and shows us the sort of promise his first outing had glimpses of, or maybe Shipstone is just a late bloomer and can handle the physicality, but the fact is, we refused to let Gregory go in a position we had spares in to the point it was clear he wasnt going to get a look in and instead got Byers off the wage book....

That has to go down as a bad decision who ever made it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Blackpool fans are impressed with him.

image.png.d818f4c1c020717bc5fa3b3d95cf0aab.png

Then again a few don't seem to rate Poveda after someone recently suggested bringing him back to Blackpool.

https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/poveda-available-on-a-free.51754/

problem with byers aint ability its fitness . we cant afford players who are rarely fit , windass inc . but should we have let him go with us having no centre mids absolutely no , i think danny Röhl needs to explain why this happened without a replacement coming in . 

9 hours ago, Hyde2005 said:

problem with byers aint ability its fitness . we cant afford players who are rarely fit , windass inc . but should we have let him go with us having no centre mids absolutely no , i think danny Röhl needs to explain why this happened without a replacement coming in . 

A replacement did, that was Poveda, not like for like, but we did get a replacement.

The argument is if an outgoing was needed it should have been one of our strikers, before one of our midfielders.

We signed a keeper, a left back a striker and a midfielder, which were positions everyone agreeded we needed strengthening, but then we lost some of that midfield depth when we could have been better off letting Gregory or Smith drop back down to L1, if it was to balance the books.

Only reasonable explanation is Byers asked for a move, but I guess we will never know.

On 20/03/2024 at 23:58, leftpeg said:

Maybe Diaby gets up to speed and shows us the sort of promise his first outing had glimpses of, or maybe Shipstone is just a late bloomer and can handle the physicality, but the fact is, we refused to let Gregory go in a position we had spares in to the point it was clear he wasnt going to get a look in and instead got Byers off the wage book....

More I watch him, more I'm certain that Diaby's problem is not "rustiness", but extremely poor technical ability. Perhaps He could get away with it in some other role and other position, but not in front of our back line in how We usually set up to play.

Shipston is not a late bloomer and even last season at 17 looked ready to be a part of our first team squad.

He got loads of quality on the ball, never hides from it and plays with his head up. Unlike Diaby He has all the tools We need in the role, but it is extremely hard to play inexperienced youngster while fighting for our Championship survival and when mistakes can be extremely expensive.

Out of Diaby, Palmer and James, Shipston potentially offers the most in that CM role. Than again, his lack of experience could potentially cost Us the most as well.

• Haha 1