Calls for West Stand to be demolished after 'near miss' incident

Near miss my arse ,I Will tell you what happened that day ,Newcastle fans had tickets in lep stand ,They came down to stand with their down stairs ,So till the stand is knocked down ,Stop any fans sitting in lower ,Tri angle will never be used again .Shut lower lep down and take all seats out.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Near miss my arse ,I Will tell you what happened that day ,Newcastle fans had tickets in lep stand ,They came down to stand with their down stairs ,So till the stand is knocked down ,Stop any fans sitting in lower ,Tri angle will never be used again .Shut lower lep down and take all seats out.

Liverpool fans will moan that the dedicated white seats at the front being removed are a sign of disrespect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Agreed, it isn’t going to be knocked down anytime soon. So to “reduce the risk” just shut it off. Keep the reduced capacity top half. Let’s face it, only 2-3 teams if that, take the bottom half and I’ve always thought without Wednesday fans in there there’s an advantage to the opposition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There could be a fund set up by football authorities that allow clubs lower down the pyramid to access grants for this kind of thing, maybe instead of subsidising players wages when their clubs get relegated from the PL?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Regardless of what you think about the reasoning, I think that ultimately saying "the West Stand should be knocked down" is right.

I know people don't like hearing it from people outside the club, maybe especially not from anyone with a scouse accent, but it's still true. It should have been pulled down in 89, or when money was last spent on the ground ahead of Euro 96.

I don't know why people leap to defend it. It's by a distance the worst part of the ground, can't serve its purpose to us anymore capacity wise and is attached to an appalling loss of life. And even if you think the Newcastle thing was a load of absolute b*llocks (as I do), then it's still an example of how easily that stand still - and always will - so easily attract negative attention to the club.

This 100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

If the club can’t afford it why should the council pay for it. Talk me through that one. 

Try telling that to Andy Burnham and Jim Ratcliffe

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Regardless of what you think about the reasoning, I think that ultimately saying "the West Stand should be knocked down" is right.

I know people don't like hearing it from people outside the club, maybe especially not from anyone with a scouse accent, but it's still true. It should have been pulled down in 89, or when money was last spent on the ground ahead of Euro 96.

I don't know why people leap to defend it. It's by a distance the worst part of the ground, can't serve its purpose to us anymore capacity wise and is attached to an appalling loss of life. And even if you think the Newcastle thing was a load of absolute b*llocks (as I do), then it's still an example of how easily that stand still - and always will - so easily attract negative attention to the club.

Incredibly easy to say with hindsight and totally ignoring the facts that 

a) no one was saying that at the time

b) there have been no significant incidents or injuries in the 35 years since

c) that end continued to be regularly sold out throughout the 90s to much bigger capacity than it is now, with no problems - including on numerous occasions by Liverpool fans

d) even after the disaster and subsequent Taylor report the stadium was deemed safe enough to host semi-finals and even a cup final replay in 97 

Now I’m not defending that end of the stadium nowadays. If £100m dropped out of the sky, redeveloping that end would be close to the top of my priority list. But nor am I going to sit here in 2024 making statements about what *should* have happened 35 years ago. The whole stadium has been neglected ever since due to decades of mismanagement and underperformance- that’s the problem.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

They could use all the money from the ULEZ cameras to fund it too, sorted.

Happy with this suggestion but not sure the people in London would be best pleased?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

They could use all the money from the ULEZ cameras to fund it too, sorted.

I'm sure all the Sheffield United and non football fans spending their money on an emissions zone will be delighted to know that it's going to build us a new stand 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

Before they gave it  over to the away fans the lep was my preferred   stand  and never thought it was dangerous even at the  far greater capacity  than it is these days  .....

I also preferred standing on the lane and never felt i was in any danger. Now its seated if the fans use them where is the danger. 

Do i think it needs replacing Yes, because the  waste of space between North and West stands

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

It does need knocking down. It’s a waste of a stand that can’t even be filled.

However suggesting because it’s near houses as a reason would wipe about nearly every ground in English football and is just a silly remark to make.

Exactly this. I was thinking about how Luton are managing their home games with fans actually going through some kind of passageway to access the ground. 

In the mid 1960’s the Leppings Lane Terrace behind the goal was my favoured spot in Hillsborough. Been there as part of 55,000 crowds. The old terrace was perfectly safe with wide gangways at the sides and the now infamous central tunnel. Yes that sloping  tunnel was there even then but it was the domain of the home fans who knew to go to the side gangways if it got crowded.

The irony is that everything forced on the club by officialdom in an effort to make it safe for fans actually made it worse. First the introduction of cages restricting movement…crazy. Then the insistence on all seater stadia whether or not the layout was suitable or not further restricted easy movement of large crowds. 

If that end of Hillsborough can’t be rebuilt, (and it can’t at present), the first thing I would do is return it to home fans, season tickets only who would easily understand the layout after a game or two. Provide a different area for away fans. Grandstand would be best. Just a bit of thought into segregating the area around the turnstiles and a separate way out over the bridge after the home crowd disperses.

There are problems with that end of Hillsborough but they are not insurmountable. They will have to be confronted eventually and a place found for away fans when the clamour for its demolition becomes undeniable. In the meantime let’s think of ways to alleviate the problem. My suggestion is one but I’m sure there are others.

• Thanks 1

There's no way they’ll put away fans in the Grandstand. Chansiri booted me out of there so he could charge people lots of money for my seat which was front row bang above the tunnel.