Calls for West Stand to be demolished after 'near miss' incident

As I recall from my youft it’s a very steep stand. It does need replacing with something that slopes more gently down and absorbs the lower tier. It could be great with a bit of vision and a few million squid thrown at it. 

15 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Regardless of what you think about the reasoning, I think that ultimately saying "the West Stand should be knocked down" is right.

I know people don't like hearing it from people outside the club, maybe especially not from anyone with a scouse accent, but it's still true. It should have been pulled down in 89, or when money was last spent on the ground ahead of Euro 96.

I don't know why people leap to defend it. It's by a distance the worst part of the ground, can't serve its purpose to us anymore capacity wise and is attached to an appalling loss of life. And even if you think the Newcastle thing was a load of absolute b*llocks (as I do), then it's still an example of how easily that stand still - and always will - so easily attract negative attention to the club.

Correct.

I mean there was no near miss in the Newcastle game and according to the rules it’s perfectly safe, however the whole end plus the police box and the corner needs to be demolished and rebuilt.

As you suggest every game the fans will

find fault with it even if there isn’t any, it won’t be full and the stigma will always we there.

This is actually one of the proposals that I think we’d actually be granted financial help for !!

So I’m in favour of this as I have been for years.

1 hour ago, Kentowl said:

The legal definition of a near miss is something along the lines of " if certain things had happened differently, there may have been an accident".

Not quite - it states that there's a potential to cause illness or injury

"A near miss is defined by the HSE as any event that doesn't lead to harm but does have the potential to cause illness or injury.

The term “dangerous occurrences” is also included in “near miss,” as specified in RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013)."

'A near miss is an event or situation that could have resulted in injury, damage or loss but did not do so. due to chance, corrective action and/or timely intervention'.

Owlstalk Shop

I understand fully what happened in ‘89 and I laid flowers at the gates in the days after but there will be loads of stands up and down the leagues worse than LL. Do we insist that they should all be flattened? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

I agree it should be knocked down and rebuilt but who will pay for it? If the football league, fa or Premier league step forward and fund the changes I'm all for it

Why should anyone else pay for it?

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I understand fully what happened in ‘89 and I laid flowers at the gates in the days after but there will be loads of stands up and down the leagues worse than LL. Do we insist that they should all be flattened? 

Whataboutery

Owlstalk Shop

Went in the stand against Sunderland in last seasons Semi. No issues at all. At least 6 or 7 clubs filled it since without issue. Even Leeds fans found their seats! 

The stand is safe. This was a stewarding issue! Do we need a new stand? Yes. Under Chansiri? Not a chance!

Just to be able to get a half time pint would be nice...don't expect that to be changed either!

7 hours ago, SHUowl said:

I'm sure all the Sheffield United and non football fans spending their money on an emissions zone will be delighted to know that it's going to build us a new stand 😂

Exactly, it's a win, win 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

I have been calling for the leppins lane stand to be demolished for years, there is room behind it to get the safety measure in.

Until its gone the stigma will always be there. I would also rename it after an ex player, to try to move on for the disaster always being associated with the name too.

But that would mean having a chairman who invests in the club infrastructure, we have had one of these since Dave Richards when he rebuilt the south stand for Euro 96, and when ever its mentioned with the current chairman, we have the same excuse, lets wait till we reach the premier league or as the fans know it never.

Let’s face it the South Stand rebuild was done on the cheap by building over and around what was there before as were Leppings Lane and the Kop. The last complete rebuild from the ground up was 1962 with the now dated North Stand.

19 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Let’s face it the South Stand rebuild was done on the cheap by building over and around what was there before as were Leppings Lane and the Kop. The last complete rebuild from the ground up was 1962 with the now dated North Stand.

I think the West stand is actually the last new stand built at Hillsborough, it was after the North. Yes we levelled up and put a roof on the Eastbank in 1986 and 10 years later the South was extended. But we have not constructed a new stand at Hillsborough since the West stand was built in 1965. That's nearly 60 years. Every other football league club has built at least one new stand (or stadium) in the last 30 years. Except QPR, who last built a new stand in 1981.

I don't think the West stand was a problem at the Newcastle FA cup game. The Newcastle fans were. This is them a week later at Southampton doing the same thing, blocking aisles.image.thumb.png.9a692da20f33b4d4affe502571f5c065.png

No journalists highlighted this, no national profile for this one.

But as someone has said, it doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, we are always going to be criticised because the West stand is virtually the same structure as 1989. I believe it should be demolished, a new stand built, called something like The Hillsborough Stand to at least start to claim the name back, and make it the same scale as the rest of the ground.

But that's all fairytales, we haven't got the near £100 million that would cost. And it doesn't look likely we will any time soon.

In the meantime we have to accept and be understanding as these comments get raised time and again. Representatives of the Liverpool families, other fans, the public generally are justified in saying it needs demolishing and a new stand built. A lot of Wednesday fans agree.

I just wish we could get the money or support to do it.

10 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

It does need knocking down. It’s a waste of a stand that can’t even be filled.

However suggesting because it’s near houses as a reason would wipe about nearly every ground in English football and is just a silly remark to make.

i tried to get a house on there years ago as the back garden wall was blue n white.. crap times nowadays

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not quite - it states that there's a potential to cause illness or injury

"A near miss is defined by the HSE as any event that doesn't lead to harm but does have the potential to cause illness or injury.

The term “dangerous occurrences” is also included in “near miss,” as specified in RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013)."

'A near miss is an event or situation that could have resulted in injury, damage or loss but did not do so. due to chance, corrective action and/or timely intervention'.

So, like the scousers refusing to sit on their kop then?