Transfer Rumours January 2024 window

9 hours ago, Lowry said:

If Ugbo turns out more performances like Friday night he should be priority #1

I'm more glad we got him than Maguire tbh..   Maguire is an unknown entity in this league.

Ike did really well and can hopefully replicate his performance regularly now and we should sign him in the summer.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

I'm more glad we got him than Maguire tbh..   Maguire is an unknown entity in this league.

Ike did really well and can hopefully replicate his performance regularly now and we should sign him in the summer.

Chris Maguire did well for Derby in this league to be fair. 

Harry Maguire has always done well not sure which one you meant as to being a unknown entity 

• Haha 3

So we fail in the transfer window as many expected would be the case, everything is left to the last minute once again,  Poveda might prove a good signing, but this is more luck than forward planning, or it would have been a signing instead of a loan which means we have 7 loans and two wont be involved even if fit every game.

We then get, there always free agents excuse, then in the last few days the manager is using the free agents wont be fit excuse. Not just Danny, Darren Moore had to wheel out the same excuse instead of just saying what we all know there wont be any free agents.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

So in our first match since the window closed a striker we signed scored 2 goals and the winger we signed was man of the match. Yep, massive failure.

We needed a central midfielder before we lost 3 in the transfer window. That's a massive failure, and we'll likely see that when the injuries, suspension, and fatigue set in as the season goes on.

Beadle, Pedersen, Ugbo and Poveda look to have been a decent bit of business so far, given the budget. Though I suspect having to go thread bare in central midfield to fund it, that's going to cause us problems in the coming weeks and months.

Keeping Gregory, James, and others not in Danny's plans was a failure.

• Like 4

Some fans thought we had a bad window and that Charlton had beat us to two players we would have been better off with. Here are the comments of  CA ST holder, Occam's Razor, on the two we missed out on and also his thoughts on Bakinson after the recent 2-0 defeat to Reading.

What is Connor Coventry supposed to be good at ? He had no influence on the midfield, and his free kicks & corners were pony.

Ladapo .. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ ….where to start ? He looks shot to pieces. He’s so slow, and his touch is so poor. He can’t even hold a ball up for May, or win a header.

Bakinson is a slow, lumbering & clumsy donkey. He’s a L2 holding midfielder at best, he’s never a No. 10 in a million years.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

We needed a central midfielder before we lost 3 in the transfer window. That's a massive failure, and we'll likely see that when the injuries, suspension, and fatigue set in as the season goes on.

Beadle, Pedersen, Ugbo and Poveda look to have been a decent bit of business so far, given the budget. Though I suspect having to go thread bare in central midfield to fund it, that's going to cause us problems in the coming weeks and months.

Keeping Gregory, James, and others not in Danny's plans was a failure.

But getting rid of three players not in his plans was a disaster? 

The reality is, changing this squad around is going to take time. Not one window.

We had an aging third division side, that limped over the line to promotion. 

We then completely f*cked up the summer with some shocking signings. 

DR has inherited a squad incapable of competing in this league, has worked a miracle getting us back in touch with those above, made four signings, which look like they could be good.

We have the best management team we e had in a long long time, why not back them and see what they can achieve?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

All depends if we stay up.

If we don't there's no chance of signing players like Ugbo, Poveda and Bernard. They won't be playing in League One. 

We'll be be looking around in the bargain basement bins for players.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

But getting rid of three players not in his plans was a disaster? 

The reality is, changing this squad around is going to take time. Not one window.

We had an aging third division side, that limped over the line to promotion. 

We then completely f*cked up the summer with some shocking signings. 

DR has inherited a squad incapable of competing in this league, has worked a miracle getting us back in touch with those above, made four signings, which look like they could be good.

We have the best management team we e had in a long long time, why not back them and see what they can achieve?

We've got players in the stands who aren't part of the squad and had offers in for. They're still here taking a significant wage when we can't even afford to put the TV on or seed the pitch.

Add that to our VERY weak central midfield - when we clearly wanted a central midfield - equates a failure to me (I don't recalling talking of a disaster?).

Agreed regarding everything else you've said.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Some fans thought we had a bad window and that Charlton had beat us to two players we would have been better off with. Here are the comments of  CA ST holder, Occam's Razor, on the two we missed out on and also his thoughts on Bakinson after the recent 2-0 defeat to Reading.

What is Connor Coventry supposed to be good at ? He had no influence on the midfield, and his free kicks & corners were pony.

Ladapo .. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ ….where to start ? He looks shot to pieces. He’s so slow, and his touch is so poor. He can’t even hold a ball up for May, or win a header.

Bakinson is a slow, lumbering & clumsy donkey. He’s a L2 holding midfielder at best, he’s never a No. 10 in a million years.

yeah Coventry not started well there then , maybe a good one to miss out on 

as in bakinson he’s not got it inside him , no passion . One of those who has the ability but just has no desire to do it week in week out , will have little spells where he does ok. He looks like a football , fairly neat and tidy. , tall, ok pace , can pass but all when he can be bothered ie once a flood

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Don't care one bit what some bitter Charlton fans have to say, especially considering season they are having.

Don't see any logic in playing Coventry, Dobson and Bakinson together in midfield as all 3 like to play that deep laying holding midfielder role and don't complement each other well.

Don't think We missed out on Ladapo in this last window as well.

Beadle, Poveda and Ugbo are all good players that improve Us. Shame that neither of them is a long term solution as they all look like they have quality We need but are here on short term deals.

Biggest failure last window is that We failed to strengthen in central midfield and are still lacking composed, experienced head at the back.

• Like 3

It will take several windows to sort out this squad. A lot depends if we can have some real stability in the managers seat. If Röhl stays I very much doubt we’ll sign many players over 25.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

A guy I work with often is a Charlton season ticket holder

Text him when they'd signed Bakinson and told him he was dogger, he was like oh great

After he'd had a decent debut for them he text me saying he's decent what you on about

Then I saw him at a wedding last week and we got talking, his words

Sorry mate, he's terrible, everyone we bought in January is poo - I can't understand why we let Appleton buy these players and then sack him

10 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

A guy I work with often is a Charlton season ticket holder

Text him when they'd signed Bakinson and told him he was dogger, he was like oh great

After he'd had a decent debut for them he text me saying he's decent what you on about

Then I saw him at a wedding last week and we got talking, his words

Sorry mate, he's terrible, everyone we bought in January is poo - I can't understand why we let Appleton buy these players and then sack him

I don't know what's going on with them, a front two of May and Ladapo in League One should be one of the best in the division.