Champions League / Europa / Conference 23/24

3 minutes ago, MotherGoose said:

It makes me so annoyed. Brighton are so good. And we’re a joke. 

Pretty much. 

Difference between spending your money well, having a long-term plan and implementing the same. 

We gambled for a couple of seasons, came up short, and have paid the price ever since. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Brighton in the Europa League. 

A sobering reminder of how far we have dropped off since that play off semi final. 

Mental. 

Wigan and Bolton have played Europa League group stages in recent years. 

Now third-tier.

Teams can fall as quickly as they rise.

But you are right though. With competent Chairman, anything is possible as reflected with Brighton.

Although Brighton have hilariously lost tonight with a player called Ponce getting the winner for AEK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Villa fans should enjoy Warsaw, especially old town. About £2 a pint around there. 😎 I say old town, it was fully rebuilt between 1945-50 so technically 70 ish years old. 

I love Warsaw. Really great city. A mate moved out there 20 odd years ago and I go to visit every year or so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eastern said:

Wigan and Bolton have played Europa League group stages in recent years. 

Now third-tier.

Teams can fall as quickly as they rise.

But you are right though. With competent Chairman, anything is possible as reflected with Brighton.

Although Brighton have hilariously lost tonight with a player called Ponce getting the winner for AEK.

Yeah i was secretly happy to see Brighton lose their European debut,  after my Brighton in-laws have had so much to shout about since 2016.   

I'm probably being a bit mad, but when reports talk about their "astonishing rise in the last 25 years from nearly dropping out the league" my first thought was really?? 25 years?  It's hardly happened "over-night". They finished 6th in the top league of English football,  not win a trophy.   

Wigan & Luton managed to get to the PL within 9 years, and Wigan went onto to win a trophy and play in europe.  If Brighton are "astonishing", what were Wigan?  

I don't know, but astonishing doesn't seem the right word when they have had serious financial backing with a plush new stadium to achieve their success.  

On 21/09/2023 at 20:15, The only way is S6 said:

Why is the commentator making a word out of the initials A E K. ?

It’s not a word, it’s 3 individual letters, silly sod. 

Hearts played AEK Athens in a Champions League qualifier a few years ago and the Greek fans confirmed it is pronounced ‘Ike’ in Greek. Like Tina Turner’s husband’s name. 

We also played PAOK from Thessaloniki a couple of weeks ago in the Conference League and again it is pronounced ‘Pow-ock’. So technically the commentator was right.

Gutted we didn’t make the group stage this year BTW. I enjoyed the matches last year and a trip to Florence for Fiorentina.

We went to Trondheim for the Rosenborg qualifier this year which was class. Didn’t fancy Thessaloniki and was hoping for another group stage fixture this year. Will need to wait for next season hopefully