Champions League / Europa / Conference 23/24

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

How many other leagues do you actually watch though? 

I don't really watch much outside of England.

The PL probably is the best division in the world, but it can still be massively overrated too.

In terms of winning European silverware, I would imagine that La Liga is still miles ahead in the modern era

Sky have fed us the propaganda for years that the Premier League is the best league in the world, even when Barca were regularly thrashing the likes of Man U and Arsenal, and City and Arsenal have a terrible game like the other week which anybody in their right mind will say was an awful game to watch, then Sky will push the narrative it was an intriguing chess match etc, and not call it out for the rubbish it was. 

Definitely overrated I think, a criticism of La Liga is that it’s a 2 horse race, that’s basically the Premier League now isn’t it? Now and then Atletico/Arsenal give it a really good go, but we both know really it’s just those two teams.

It’s the best now probably, but I don’t think pre Pep/Klopp it was 

Edited by Londoner1867

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

How many other leagues do you actually watch though? 

I don't really watch much outside of England.

The PL probably is the best division in the world, but it can still be massively overrated too.

In terms of winning European silverware, I would imagine that La Liga is still miles ahead in the modern eram

Agree with this

If its about comparing leagues then I think the PL does have a strong claim to be the best

If its about having the absolute best team/s then that's a different matter

I do think City were the best team in the world last season - even though they did their best to throw the CL Final

But this year id say its (once again) Madrid

I do think Madrid have a collective sense of belief that transcends their generations - like its unthinkable they won't be Europes best.

But they fulfil that sense of entitlement way more than any other club

14 hours ago, BIG D said:

Pretty much. Definitely the best to watch 

Find it really hard to watch to be honest, i've watched less and less of it over the last few years.

Too much cheating, and games are way way too open for my liking. It's becoming a bit basketball. 

I tend to watch Serie A over the premier league. It’s not the bore fest it used to be, and it perhaps helps that I can be largely neutral and not as overexposed to all the foul dust that preys on it as I am with the PL. I just find most premier league clubs and personalities thoroughly dislikeable. Even the ‘small’ clubs I’m just jealous of.

• Like 1

Great game this. Missed 3 or 4 sitters each but been a really good watch.

Sancho getting back to his best. Looks a massive threat every time he gets the ball.

Man U really are a graveyard for players aren't they. 

He's been a non entity for a few season. Now back in form and bossing it in a Champions League semi final first leg. 

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

Man U really are a graveyard for players aren't they. 

He's been a non entity for a few season. Now back in form and bossing it in a Champions League semi final first leg. 

Best thing for sancho's career (and sanity) was getting away from that cesspit. 

Yeah, it seems odd that Italy get one of those spots when they dont normally have more than one team do anything most years.

Out of the last 12 finalists, 7 have been English clubs.

51 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Yeah, it seems odd that Italy get one of those spots when they dont normally have more than one team do anything most years.

Out of the last 12 finalists, 7 have been English clubs.

It's only based on this season's performances, and English clubs haven't done as well as usual in Europe.

This is the first time this extra 5th spot is a thing, but it'll be every year from now on with the new expanded CL format (which I think will be rubbish), so there'll be some years when 5th place in the PL will get a CL place and others where it won't. 

• Like 1

I don’t mind the coefficient - but it was 100% brought in to help the big clubs who’ve had a bad season. Nice on Football Manager though 😅

Hope Dortmund win the whole thing, another PSG failure is always nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

It's only based on this season's performances, and English clubs haven't done as well as usual in Europe.

This is the first time this extra 5th spot is a thing, but it'll be every year from now on with the new expanded CL format (which I think will be rubbish), so there'll be some years when 5th place in the PL will get a CL place and others where it won't. 

Makes even less sense then. Italy haven't even had a team get to the quarter finals of the Champions League.

41 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Makes even less sense then. Italy haven't even had a team get to the quarter finals of the Champions League.

2 semi finalists in the Europa League though.

Current standings (no idea how the points are worked out!) but apparently even if Villa win the Conference League England can't overtake Germany

Italy. Points: 19.428. Clubs left in Europe: Atalanta, Roma, Fiorentina

Germany. Points: 18.357. Clubs left in Europe: Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund

England. Points: 17.375. Clubs left in Europe: Aston Villa