Just wrong

Ian

I have just seen that an under 13 team in Sheffield won a cup game 43-0 at the weekend.

That's 12 year old kids playing 35 mins each way, conceding a goal on average every 97 seconds and in that 97 seconds the losing team have got to get the ball out of the net, transport it to the halfway line and kick off again.....which basically means that the majority of the goals have been scored by the winning team lining up like a pack of wolves and running at the opposition as soon as they kicked off, taking the ball off an obviously much weaker team and running it in to the net like they did a minute before

I hope the manager / coaches are proud of themselves

Absolutely disgusting

If anyone knows anyone connected with that club (I won't name them but I am sure they know who they are) I would love them to come on here and justify that result

How they felt as a team of 12 year old's were humiliated time and time again.....how they presumably made no effort whatsoever to keep the score down and whether they did anything to make the game about helping their own players learn new skills rather than just taking the ball off the opposition and running it in to the net time and time again.

Of all the issues I've had with grassroots football this last 12 months, this has made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

I hope the FA are acting to make sure this sort of result doesn't happen again

• Like 5

Game should have been abandoned. Grass roots is infected by the FA these days, trying to make kids of this age into mini Pro's, fed by the explosion in popularity of kids football, far more players these day and dreamer parents thinking their kid is the next Messi. Seen it myself. FA is just creaming more cash from the system. Bring back GT Sunday league, locally run leagues for fun & football.  

• Like 2

Football in general has lost any class. You used to score 4 and leave it there. Them knowing you could but you didn't want to humiliate them... modern football has managers like Pep now. Can create teams who play amazing football. However lack class in their attitude. A quality side who has class doesn't need to humiliate. Unfortunately grass roots follow bad examples 

13 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

I was in a team that was on the end of a 0-22 thrapping, it didn’t do me any harm apart from being a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

At what age?

And what do you think the winners learnt about playing football that day?

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I have just seen that an under 13 team in Sheffield won a cup game 43-0 at the weekend.

That's 12 year old kids playing 35 mins each way, conceding a goal on average every 97 seconds and in that 97 seconds the losing team have got to get the ball out of the net, transport it to the halfway line and kick off again.....which basically means that the majority of the goals have been scored by the winning team lining up like a pack of wolves and running at the opposition as soon as they kicked off, taking the ball off an obviously much weaker team and running it in to the net like they did a minute before

Absolutely disgusting

If anyone knows anyone connected with that club (I won't name them but I am sure they know who they are) I would love them to come on here and justify that result

How they felt as a team of 12 year old's were humiliated time and time again.....how they presumably made no effort whatsoever to keep the score down and whether they did anything to make the game about helping their own players learn new skills rather than just taking the ball off the opposition and running it in to the net time and time again.

Of all the issues I've had with grassroots football this last 12 months, this has made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

I said the same after going to see us lose 8-0 at Newcastle in 99.

• Haha 4

At Firth Park Rangers U14 we played a friendly against a Leeds u14 team who turned up with a team bus and brand new Leeds Utd kit including those fancy sock ties with the numbers on...we beat them 19-0 and I got seven...we kicked off and their goalie was marking out his area like Gary Sprake used to do so I scored the first with the second touch of the ball lol

• Like 3

When I was at secondary school we had a game against our main rival school (East Surrey had two very large state schools that took care of most of the kids from across half the county). I wasn't normally in one of the school teams (I'd made the B-team after trials, but hadn't actually been playing), but because both schools were very large there were enough kids available to put together a one-off C-team match. The difference was that our team was made of players who actually played football a lot (most of us played in Sunday League at least), but their team was made of kids who probably liked football but rarely actually played it. We won 21-2. Their players didn't seem to care and mostly just jogged around and put minimal effort in, but there was one kid who was actually really good who I felt sorry for. In the end they had to put him in goal to keep the score down.

I still remember our headmaster in assembly proudly telling the rest of the school that we'd absolutely destroyed our rivals, and reading our names out with a beaming grin.

I scored three.

• Like 1

Very unlikely to have helped either team gain anything.

I mean if you’re on the winning side you’re just running up and shooting. A waste of everyone’s time.

They could have tried to make sure they were passing to everyone, keep the ball moving, try something new instead of just running up and scoring surely.

An unfortunate waste of everyone’s time.

For the losing side, the hope is they take it on the chin rather than quitting.

This kind of thing is why the FA years ago wanted to do away with league tables and move the focus away from results in junior football

But it was met with strong resistance from parents and coaches who bawled and wailed so much because it means everything to have some plastic baubles on their mantelpiece to prove how they are the Pep of their village

• Like 2

An A division team against a K division team in the county cup . The A division team asked if they wanted to play and pointed out that there was a huge gulf between the two, the manager wanted to play. An offer was made at half time to call it, again, not taken up. 

The game was ridiculous and the scoreline didn't have to happen. Both sides could have stopped it. Neither side did. Nobody gained anything. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ian said:

Absolutely disgusting

Were they playing the England womens team 😂

• Haha 3

Just had a look at the county cup results to see who it was. As I thought this was my son's age group in the UK growing up there. (It wasn't).

Yeah, those two shouldn't have been on the pitch together. That's about as big a mismatch as anyone could have.

There was a few other high scoring games as well looking at the results, a few 20-1. I thought they gave you the option to withdraw from the county cup?

The issue is more having one high level competition being played. It's a prestigious competition to win. One which all the big high level teams will try to win.

Split the leagues and have two separate cups Or have a cut off point league division wise. That would stop massive mismatches.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

It's the magic of the cup though surely.

Sometimes you draw a good team and get spanked or you are a giant killer.

Having LMCs comments it looks like the opposition had the option to forfeit the game before and during which they should be applauded for refusing. 

We are critical of the FA cup for " big" teams not taking it seriously until the semis, and grumble about all manner of perceived injustices in the competition. 

But that's what cup games are all about. If it wasn't we would never have the magic of Donnie Radford and Hereford.