Just wrong

Ian

12 minutes ago, Plonk said:

It's the magic of the cup though surely.

Sometimes you draw a good team and get spanked or you are a giant killer.

Having LMCs comments it looks like the opposition had the option to forfeit the game before and during which they should be applauded for refusing. 

We are critical of the FA cup for " big" teams not taking it seriously until the semis, and grumble about all manner of perceived injustices in the competition. 

But that's what cup games are all about. If it wasn't we would never have the magic of Donnie Radford and Hereford. 

Why should you be applauded for making 12 and 13 year olds take a 43-0 humiliation?

Managed in junior football for 10 years and nothing surprises me.

You would like to think that the manager of the winning team would have exercised some decency , but no.

You can almost guarantee he will have been running through the full gauntlet of buzz phrases he will have picked up from Sky.........."high press"........."play through the thirds" etc , all whilst wearing a club training top with his initials on........🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

It's the magic of the cup though surely.

Sometimes you draw a good team and get spanked or you are a giant killer.

Having LMCs comments it looks like the opposition had the option to forfeit the game before and during which they should be applauded for refusing. 

We are critical of the FA cup for " big" teams not taking it seriously until the semis, and grumble about all manner of perceived injustices in the competition. 

But that's what cup games are all about. If it wasn't we would never have the magic of Donnie Radford and Hereford. 

It's kids football mate, these aren't ex pros that couldn't quite hack it at a higher level. So they can bridge the gap on an off day.

One is a prominent local non league team, that takes only the best kids (in my experience/opinion) and I've never been a fan of that club in particular, having had an experience watching my youngest kid play them. 

The other is a club that gives new kids a chance. Just to play. Frankly never been impressed with the folks that set that club up either (theve got form for being idiots, via Facebook).

That game personally shouldn't have gone ahead. The people running both teams should have recognised that and are frankly idiots for letting it continue.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

On 13/09/2023 at 22:43, OzOwl said:

I was in a team that was on the end of a 0-22 thrapping, it didn’t do me any harm apart from being a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

I was in a team that won i think 21 - 0 would have been about 1972. I was goalkeeper and I touched the ball 4 times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Does it really matter 

Yep

The coach of that team is obviously a wrong un, what kind of git tells kids to humiliate the opposition like that? He's training and influencing a team of bullies with no sense of sportsmanship. 

The young 'uns on the end of this will be put off the game for life.

To be honest I'm not sure how the 'winning ' coach didn't get a slap from a parent of the losing team for being such a coont. 

18 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Yep

The coach of that team is obviously a wrong un, what kind of git tells kids to humiliate the opposition like that? He's training and influencing a team of bullies with no sense of sportsmanship. 

The young 'uns on the end of this will be put off the game for life.

To be honest I'm not sure how the 'winning ' coach didn't get a slap from a parent of the losing team for being such a coont. 

It’s competitive sport though

im sure everyone’s fine 

16 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

It’s competitive sport though

im sure everyone’s fine 

It shouldn't be that competitive at that age, sportsmanship and conduct is supposed to be a priority with impressionable kids.

I'm glad you are sure everyone is fine mate, but I can't help thinking those kids on the end of that won't be, and I reckon there may be a few refusing to go anymore after that humiliation.  

• Like 1

Usually fanes get shortened at that age.

My team were very good as a kid. I remember winng 25 and 35 nil a few times ( in shorter games). It's not really good for anyone, even on the winning team that feels a bit empty. I scored 9 once and even then it didn't feel that special.

Fun story.

We went out to play in Skeggy for a Game (in hindsight so parents could get boozy at Butlins). We played their leagues best team who were undefeated in 4/5 years. We beat them 24-0... I guess Sheffield has a far larger talent pool...