Drop ball

It was absolutely ridiculous, we had the ball in their box.

What made it even worse was their keeper didn’t give us the ball back, I at least expected him to punt it out of play around the halfway line.

Still it’s a good way to defend an attack, go down pretending to hurt your head, have the game stopped and when it restarts the ref will give you the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Not seen a thread on this, apologies if I’ve missed it. 

But can anyone explain the referees decision on Monday to stop the game when we’ve got the ball in the box and then to give the ball to there keeper?

I honestly believe that’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t believe it at the time. 

I was expecting it to be in the extended highlights as well. It got passed to, was it adeniran, 6 yards from goal and probably would have been a goal. 

I think if they equalised after it would have been more of a talking point. Nevertheless, horrendous decision.

14 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Wasn’t there a similarly strange drop ball in the Oxford game where we got fouled outside their box in the last second and it was going to be a free kick to us, but she gave the ball to Oxford? 

Yep, last minute of the game and their player smashed the ball away with his arm, looked like she blew for the free kick then after delay decided to give them the ball back, absolutely infuriating decision. 

• Like 3

Its becoming a real cheats charter; feigning injury to waste time, stall momentum or, in yesterday's  case, stop a dangerous attack. To rub salt in the wound, not only was a dangerous situation averted and posession being given to the wrong team but the ' injured player was allowed back on the pitch immediately play restarted. 

It's a problem. Players having required treatment should spend a full minute on the touchline unless caused by a foul. Keeper gets a second chance. Needs sorting. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, prowl said:

I was incensed by that decision. It made no sense whatsoever. If we are in possession when the game is stopped we should get the ball on the restart.

I can see why the ref has to stop the game for a head injury but it is getting seriously abused. Time to amend the rule to stop it being abused, after every stoppage for a head injury the player must have a period on the sidelines to ensure there are no after effects. Pick a time period, 5 or 10 minutes maybe or longer, whatever it takes to stop the abuse. Obviously the rule is intoduced for player safety.lol

Yep, like in rugby union. Head injury assessment.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Rule 8 says

2. Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

the ball was in the penalty area or

the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official

That's cleared that one up then ....poor ref getting in the neck when he was right all along ..  crap rule though .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

Well, there we are. 

Another case of the rule being wrong rather than the referee.

Knew the rule so understand the decision - but the rule should say that the dropped ball should be on the corner of the penalty area in these cases. It's bizarre that if the attacking team have the ball just outside the box they get the drop ball but if it's inside they don't.

As for the whole debate on refereeing, we've had some real bizarre ones this year haven't we? Ipswich away, Plymouth at home, the 2 bizarre ones at Oxford all spring to mind immediately.

I also recently made the point that since January we have only had 1 league game where we've been awarded more freekicks than the opposition (Lincoln where we got 1 more) which I have to question whether that's a genuine reflection of each game.

With regards to what should happen, I sort of feel like they should be consulting players (or recently retired ones) on the whole situation. It's clear that part of the managers job nowadays is to work out ways to waste time, cheat, disrupt etc. I think we need to change the game in 4 ways. Firstly appoint an independent time keeper with a view to also looking at a different system whereby the match is perhaps 70 minutes of the ball being in play (time stops at every throw in, free kick, goal etc). Secondly, ref to book any player having a go at the officials, with just the captain allowed to talk to him. Thirdly, ref to book players time wasting, kicking the ball away, feigning injury. Fourthly, if a player goes down for treatment then they stay off the pitch for 2 minutes unless they were awarded a free kick, the goalkeeper being the exception. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Rule 8 says

2. Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official

thanks for that.

not the fairest idea though!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Comeonwednesday said:

Rule 8 says

2. Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

So, I get this is unlikely but, Bannan unleashes a thunder bolt 25 yards out, keeper has slipped and in no man’s land with the ball heading for the middle of the goal, but the ball hits the ref around the penalty spot, the result is drop ball to the keeper? Ridiculous rule. 

30 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Its becoming a real cheats charter; feigning injury to waste time, stall momentum or, in yesterday's  case, stop a dangerous attack. To rub salt in the wound, not only was a dangerous situation averted and posession being given to the wrong team but the ' injured player was allowed back on the pitch immediately play restarted. 

It's a problem. Players having required treatment should spend a full minute on the touchline unless caused by a foul. Keeper gets a second chance. Needs sorting. 

Maybe if the ref stops play for a head injury, automatically player leaves the pitch for 5 minute medical assessment. Bit like rugby I guess might stop cheating

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1