Leaving Hillsborough

Stay and redevelop.

I honestly think leaving Hillsborough does more harm than good.

I don't like the way football is going with all these traditional grounds that hold a lot of history and character going because owners with no connection to the area have bought the clubs and see the potential £ signs.

Still doesn't sit right with me seeing West Ham playing in that soulless bowl for example.

8 hours ago, Black cats lad said:

I'm a Sunderland fan and I'm doing research on Roker Park. 

If you had an option to move into a state of the art stadium or stay at Hillsborough, what would you choose?

Thanks and hope you get promoted this season 

Like any other property the first thing is location.

Hillsborough is a great place for a football stadium. Pubs, takeaways, supermarkets, fast food chains.

We also are next to Hillsborough Park and therefore have natural temporary space for any big events.

Hillsborough has everything that you could reasonably want

The answer for Wednesday is renovation not relocation  what has been achieved at Aston Villa or your mates in Newcastle being a road map of what can be done.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Loads of room where the Ski Village used to be

Remember Yeovil? And the slope . Be alright kicking down that slope but we would need a 20-0 lead for 2nd half. 

Stay where we are and over time improve it. Otherwise do u want a faceless stadium at old airport with a Costa and some other rip off franchises around it. 

• Like 1

Stay.

There used to be an argument that Hillsborough was too big for us, so we should move to a modern stadium with 25-30k capacity.  We stopped selling out for even the biggest of games, it was embarrassing seeing empty seats against the Blunts.

Through a combination of no investment in the ground, a 20 year decline on the pitch paid for by high high tickets, our effective capacity of around 33k is about right for where we are.  Big enough for the big game.

If Chansiri's business plan of finding a million bitcoins down the back of the sofa pays off, I still wouldn't move.  Redevelop, starting with the Leppings Lane which is the only stand that requires a total demolition and new build.

9 hours ago, Vegan Owl said:

Old Sheffield airport... There were rumours at one point that Chansiri had purchased the land.

Excellent Link to the M1

No public transport and not a pub in sight. 

Stay at Hillsborough and redevelope 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The coach said:

Herdings..hemsworth..gleadless etc is no way 50/50...60/40 in gruntbags favour maybe more than that

If you don't live round here you won't know... I can assure you our local pub is as much as 90% Wednesday... So much so that we have a coach going to away games and the pigs don't.

The pub is opening at 7am this Saturday for our trip to MKDs

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

Don’t know how you arrive at that conclusion tbh, it certainly doesn’t appear even to anybody who lives or has lived in those areas.

well I did live there for best part of 20 years. Playing footie at the park with a lot of the kids off my end of herdings there was only 2 blunts and about 12 wednesday. Might be different now obviously but I'd say historically its probably about evens.  

3 hours ago, Vegan Owl said:

If you don't live round here you won't know... I can assure you our local pub is as much as 90% Wednesday... So much so that we have a coach going to away games and the pigs don't.

The pub is opening at 7am this Saturday for our trip to MKDs

I remember red lion at Townend always being full of owls. 

• Like 1

It was great to be back on Saturday, and the stadium looked spot on. 

We are going to tick over at Hillsborough for the next decade, even if we get to the PL within 5/6 years. Therefore, we will need to consider the upkeep and investment to somehow get the ridiculous seat restrictions lifted so we can have a 35k+ capacity.  Longer term, the three older stands will need re-modelling/re-building if we stay, but this will cost significant funds, which DC is unlikely to have, unless his families property business see an opportunity. If not, we'll need the PL money to pay for this.

If we eventually move, there will be a lot of planning restrictions on the location. Transport will play the major part, and will need to be near train and tram links. There are some areas around Neepsend but not sure if they are big enough. I wouldn't want to be down Attercliffe/Carbrook - just not a pleasant area, and I agree that the Parkway land is likely to be already spoken for as business-lead use, not leisure.

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

It was great to be back on Saturday, and the stadium looked spot on. 

We are going to tick over at Hillsborough for the next decade, even if we get to the PL within 5/6 years. Therefore, we will need to consider the upkeep and investment to somehow get the ridiculous seat restrictions lifted so we can have a 35k+ capacity.  Longer term, the three older stands will need re-modelling/re-building if we stay, but this will cost significant funds, which DC is unlikely to have, unless his families property business see an opportunity. If not, we'll need the PL money to pay for this.

If we eventually move, there will be a lot of planning restrictions on the location. Transport will play the major part, and will need to be near train and tram links. There are some areas around Neepsend but not sure if they are big enough. I wouldn't want to be down Attercliffe/Carbrook - just not a pleasant area, and I agree that the Parkway land is likely to be already spoken for as business-lead use, not leisure.

Tricky finding g a site, that is not in middle of nowhere. Agree, Attercliffe is just lifeless and nothing around it except dereliction and boarded up businesses, all the redevelopment initiatives down there sent attract residential. Airport again nothing to do, soulless. Neepsend as this is attracting homeowners planning may be difficult. Also just down the road so not much point moving.

Just stay put I reckon.

• Like 1