Leaving Hillsborough

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’m not sure, I can think of a few who’ve done it badly.

Call me old fashioned but I like the traditional looking stadiums like Villa Park, Hillsborough etc.

That’s not to say Hillsborough doesn’t need modernisation, even with my blue and white tinted specs I can see it does, but to leave Hillsborough to go to some out of town Pride Park clone would be a very sad day.

Agreed

If the facilites and experience can be upgraded then should deffo stay

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, The coach said:

That’s a utd area..wudnt feel right locating up there..if we move it should be to somewhere in our north Sheffield heartland

It’s not a United area at all. It’s at the back of herdings, charnock and hemsworth. Having lived in that area for about 20 years I’d say it’s a pretty even split. 

also that land is massive and they could even make the dual carriageway bigger so traffic can get away quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't mind leaving if the new stadium had character and has an individual style about it.

Hillsbrough has so much charm and is full of memories.  But it would take about 5 summers of renovation to get it to anything remotely looking like a premiership standard stadium.  It's very tired.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Loads of room where the Ski Village used to be

Land wise yes, totally, but the sad fact is that it's too much of an issue with regards to height.   

We have a lot of older fans, they won't traverse that very well for a start - but then more, it's going to add around an extra 1/3 of the bill to build a stadium in that environment.   All of a sudden, a cost of £60m will cost maybe 70, 80, 90 because the location is a dogs dinner.

Edited by DaveClark

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Are there any really impressive new stadiums that aren't like Wembley sized?
Can you think of any clubs that have done it really well?

There aren't any because to do it well you need to spend big, arsenal and spurs for example. You can't go half hearted because it's a glaring failure.

For me I love Hillsborough because of the history, I'm too young for Springett, Bronco, Curran and even Waddle, Hirst and Sheridan, but I love going knowing that's how good we were (and that Pele has played there). If we move elsewhere on budget how does the next generation get inspired by tales of Stockdale, Iorfa and Windass?

• Like 2

Just now, DaveClark said:

Land wise yes, totally, but the sad fact is that it's too much of an issue with regards to height.   

We have a lot of older fans, they won't traverse that very well for a start  

It's absolutely not a problem that though 

They can just enter the stadium from the TOP of the hill

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

It’s not a United area at all. It’s at the back of herdings, charnock and hemsworth. Having lived in that area for about 20 years I’d say it’s a pretty even split. 

also that land is massive and they could even make the dual carriageway bigger so traffic can get away quicker. 

Herdings..hemsworth..gleadless etc is no way 50/50...60/40 in gruntbags favour maybe more than that

• Like 1

Just now, The coach said:

Herdings..hemsworth..gleadless etc is no way 50/50...60/40 in gruntbags favour maybe more than that

I’m telling ya pal. It’s very even in that area. Most of the kids I used to play with on herdings growing up were Wednesday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's how Hillsborough could be developed

I'd love to see this happen, apparently we have planning permission and it's only waiting for the right time and obviously finances (FIFA World Cup was the opportunity).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Went to the new spurs stadium for a concert yesterday, that’s how to build a modern stadium, Similar in its location surrounded by housing.

I believe the commitment and planning for more than just 20 odd games of football a year we could do similar, maybe not on the same scale but build a modern Hillsborough on the same plot of land utilising the spare space  at the back of the west stand and kop.

• Like 1