Bruce interview

Bit of a long interview mainly about Newcastle naturally. But talks about his time at each club.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/29/steve-bruce-exclusive-ridiculed-newcastle-peps-respect-flattering/

Sheffield Wednesday
I really enjoyed it there. Magnificent support - that blew me away. However, after three of four months, I got the phone call from Newcastle and I had to take it. They're my club, my family’s club.

I'm still slightly undecided on this. It's his family club is a very fair point and as Wednesday fans I think we would all make the same switch if reversed. But still the sheer lack of loyalty and how much DC actually gave him, let him delay the start etc. Think that frankly is appalling and forever puts a black mark against him.

• Like 2

I had no issue with him leaving I did have an issue with him resigning so Ashley wouldn’t have to pay us compensation.

No loyalty in football but this guy really is top draw sneaky b***tard! 

If he loved Newcastle so much surely he would never have managed Sunderland. 

• Like 4

The guy has absolutely no loyalty whatsoever 

I know it's a job but he's managed Brum/Villa, Blades/Owls and Toon/Sunderland. That shows that he doesn't really build up a rapport with the teams he manages and only cares about boosting his bank balance

He doesn't do himself any favours either having walked out on numerous clubs. He did it to Huddersfield, Palace and ourselves. He throws his toys out the pram when something better comes along 

He claims to be a die hard Newcastle fan yet he took the Sunderland job which just sums him up as a person

2 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I know it's a job but he's managed Brum/Villa, Blades/Owls and Toon/Sunderland. That shows that he doesn't really build up a rapport with the teams he manages and only cares about boosting his bank balance

I think that's 90% of managers and players.
Harry Redknapp virtually says so in his Autobiography, once you are on the inside of football you have skills you take to the highest bidder.
Would I be any different? Not really.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Harry Redknapp virtually says so in his Autobiography, once you are on the inside of football you have skills you take to the highest bidder.

Difference is he's a multi-millionaire and probably doesn't need the money

To be fair my main gripe with Bruce is the fact he throws his toys out of the pram whenever something better pops up. Zero loyalty

He never showed any loyalty before coming to us, so it was no surprise when he jumped ship. 

We took a gamble getting him in,  and would have worked if Newcastle hadn't come calling. I doubt he would have left for many other clubs. 

I'm just surprised he went to West Brom, that's really just pure greed as he can't be very motivated, and that shows. 

• Like 1

Very true, when you look at the history of him, the "my family club" excuse is total ball. Frustrating as he can be a very good manager at Championship level.

But if it was Prime Him v Prime Warnock, I'd prob go Warnock. 

35 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

It's still disappointing to hear. We all grow up loving the game and are forged by our allegiances. I still think throwing all that out of the window for money is a shame and says more about the person. Particularly for managers at Harry Redknapp's level.. there is always another job. It's not the end of his career if he turns down Southampton after managing Portsmouth.

Ironically the exception to that rule was Bruce leaving us, because at that point in his career it was almost certainly his last shot at a relatively stable Premiership job - a job he only got because it was Newcastle United owned by Mike Ashley at that time. 

38 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Difference is he's a multi-millionaire and probably doesn't need the money

To be fair my main gripe with Bruce is the fact he throws his toys out of the pram whenever something better pops up. Zero loyalty

Newcastle were in the Premier League and Wednesday in Championship probably had just as much bearing as the money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowOwl said:

Bit of a long interview mainly about Newcastle naturally. But talks about his time at each club.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/29/steve-bruce-exclusive-ridiculed-newcastle-peps-respect-flattering/

Sheffield Wednesday
I really enjoyed it there. Magnificent support - that blew me away. However, after three of four months, I got the phone call from Newcastle and I had to take it. They're my club, my family’s club.

I'm still slightly undecided on this. It's his family club is a very fair point and as Wednesday fans I think we would all make the same switch if reversed. But still the sheer lack of loyalty and how much DC actually gave him, let him delay the start etc. Think that frankly is appalling and forever puts a black mark against him.

Bruce knows what to say, he’s probably a decent enough bloke but he’s walked out on nearly every club he’s managed.

Not a fan after how he left us but in sick of hearing that ‘Chansiri let him delay his start date’

Clearly that never happened. Bruce was always unavailable until that date. We hired him knowing that. It was either gather date of his availability or he wouldn’t have joined 

4 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I know it's a job but he's managed Brum/Villa, Blades/Owls and Toon/Sunderland. That shows that he doesn't really build up a rapport with the teams he manages and only cares about boosting his waistline

He doesn't do himself any favours either having walked out on numerous clubs. He did it to Huddersfield, Palace and ourselves. He throws his toys out the pram when something better comes along 

He claims to be a die hard Newcastle fan yet he took the Sunderland job which just sums him up as a person

Really unfortunate what happened with Bruce. I think we’d have had a real chance of going up in 2019 with him in charge of that squad. He seemed a good fit here 

Edited by Django