Need or Like?

I'd like us to use these next two friendly games to see if a) Ryan Galvin is ready to become a regular addition to our

matchday squad, and b) Jaden Brown has regained some kind of form

If they're up to the challenge then we have two ready-made options for either LWB or more orthodox LB positions

If neither of them are close enough to stake a claim then it would be best to move them on and look for a replacement

We need at least 2 more CB's and I'd like cover for Johnson on the left. This could be in the form of a winger rather than a WB as Palmer could play at LB. 2 needs, 1 like.

Midfield wise, we look solid. I'd like someone who can play more advanced/attacking, but this could be someone who can also play as a forward. Maybe Windass could fill that role as number 10? 1 like.

Up front, I think we need some serious pace. Gregory is a good all-rounder and I don't know enough about Smith's game to say where/what his strengths are. Windass did have pace, but whether that's been tempered through his injuries remains to be seen. I think we need further options up top. At least one. Maybe too early for Cadamarteri to get involved often next season, but I'd be throwing him in to some games - based on what I've read - purely for experience. 1 need.

So for me, 3 needs, 2 likes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Like you I think we need one CB but would be happy with one or two forwards. We do seem to have cover for most positions now.

GK

Dawson 

Stockdale 

RB/RWB

Jack Hunt 

Palmer

LB/LWB

Johnson 

Brown 

CB

Iorfa

Heneghan

Ihiekwe 

Palmer 

???

CM

Bannan 

Byers

Vaulks

Adeniran 

Dele-Bashiru 

Alex Hunt

FW

Gregory 

Smith 

Windass 

Paterson 

Sow

Its a long season and have seen how injuries have affected us in the past.

I'd like to see more pace inject into the squad, maybe another wing back to rotate with Hunt/Johnson and another striker to get in behind defences.

Plus with Brennan going out on loan, we need another CB or two.

NEED - 2 CBs. With Brennan going out on loan (which is a good move for game time) we only have Ihekwe who is good enough to start in a back 3. Palmer and Iorfa are decent back ups but we NEED 2 CBs to be first choice. 

NEED - a forth CF with some pace to add to our trio of Windass Gregory and Smith. 

LIKE - a left-footed WB as cover for Johnson. Brown is the only cover and he isn’t deemed good enough to get into the squad. Unless Galvin or Aguas are able to step up (which im sure Moore will look at in pre season) we need this area. Id also like cover for Hunt but Palmer could do this job.

LIKE - another CM player. Losing Luongo is a blow. Vaulks is a good replacement but our starting 3 will be Byers and Vaulks with Bannan in front. We have Adenerin who could be decent cover as one of the positions but id like us to bring in another body and loan out Dele-Bashiru so he can play a full season which he wont get here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Michael Like and Peter Need. Two of my favorite lads. 

Just seen them stood outside Old Crown with pints in their hands. Reyt lads.

It all depends on the system(s) Moore wants us to play, doesn't it?

If reports are to be believed, he wants to use at least two setups: 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1.

If that's the case, we need at least a couple more centre backs and a wingback for the former, and a left-back plus an attacking wide player or two for the latter.

Obviously if players are capable of playing more than one role, then all the better. 

Two birds with one stone, and all that...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

NEED - 2 CBs. With Brennan going out on loan (which is a good move for game time) we only have Ihekwe who is good enough to start in a back 3. Palmer and Iorfa are decent back ups but we NEED 2 CBs to be first choice. 

NEED - a forth CF with some pace to add to our trio of Windass Gregory and Smith. 

LIKE - a left-footed WB as cover for Johnson. Brown is the only cover and he isn’t deemed good enough to get into the squad. Unless Galvin or Aguas are able to step up (which im sure Moore will look at in pre season) we need this area. Id also like cover for Hunt but Palmer could do this job.

LIKE - another CM player. Losing Luongo is a blow. Vaulks is a good replacement but our starting 3 will be Byers and Vaulks with Bannan in front. We have Adenerin who could be decent cover as one of the positions but id like us to bring in another body and loan out Dele-Bashiru so he can play a full season which he wont get here.

What about Heneghan?

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What about Heneghan?

Hes one I’m not sure on yet. Having never seen him play I’m unsure if he’s brought in as a squad player or first teamer. 

If we’re going with a 3 again I’d say with our injuries we’ll need 6 so still need 2 

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've lost 6 centre backs

Storey, Dean, Hutchinson, Dunkley, Gibson and Brennan

We've brought 2 in

A shortage of centre backs at the start of last season is the reason we are still in this division

We need 2 more minimum, ideally 3

This is a need, not a want

Agreed mate. We cannot allow ourselves to end up in a position where we face the joke of having to play Palmer and Johnson at centre back again. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hes one I’m not sure on yet. Having never seen him play I’m unsure if he’s brought in as a squad player or first teamer. 

If we’re going with a 3 again I’d say with our injuries we’ll need 6 so still need 2 

It’s very positive that he played 43 full matches.

Though as part of a defence which let in 75 goals let’s hope he was their best player and was an oasis in a desert.

• Like 1

I find it astonishing that some people actually advocate having only four centre backs in a system where we expect to be using three of them most of the time. So ONE injury and you're then forced into the prospect of wingbacks and midfielders being next up? This isn't a bit of a lark on a Sunday morning; we're supposed to be aiming for automatic promotion. You reckon that will be possible with such an apathetic approach to squad depth? What have you been watching the last few years? As has already been pointed out, it's only a year ago that we were struggling thanks to absentees in this very position.

Modern football almost demands rotation to some degree but with this suggested policy we'd be choosing to have few options before we even got started. We already needed two centre backs, but the departure of Brennan could arguably require another, depending on how comfortable we are with Palmer filling in. But if we needed him to play in the middle, then we'd be short of backup on the right too without more shifting of players from elsewhere.

I would hope that we'll see two or three loans coming in from a higher level (not necessarily just in defence) before we're done. But that may be why there has been a suspension in activity because some possibilities may be relying on the business done by the parent clubs before letting them go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I agree we need an extra CB and wouldn’t object to two, but the biggest problem that led to the above was the CBs we had were injury prone. Iorfa, Hutch, Dunkley were always a risk. We then brought in Dean and Storey and Dean immediately got injured. We need cover but more importantly we need players who are fit and available. We really shouldn’t need 6 players for three slots. 

2 players for every slot is essential

We made this mistake last season, we can't do it again

We've had many players who haven't had injury problems until they came here, you mention one in Dean, I've give you another in Luongo

We can't guarantee the same won't happen with the new signings

If we don't plan to bring a couple more in, we wouldn't have let  Brennan go

I think we will bring at least two more in, one may be Dean, the other might be a youngster

Anything less is a massive risk

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

GK - Stockdale and Dawson 

DEF - Heneghan, Iorfa, Iwiekhe 

(+2, would like Dean and 1× Left footer)

MID - Bannan, Vaulks, Byers, Dele, Adenerin. 

WB / FB - Palmer, J Hunt, Johnson +2 (would like Wilks and 1 able to play LB)

STR - Gregory, Windass, Smith (+1 with pace, poss loan from Prem)

Poss 21 for the starting 11 from those.

Patterson as sub, Hunt & Cadamateri on the fringes.

Thats 22/24 for the Match Day Squad.

Sow & Brown have to go for me

= 5 more required, we need to be able to take advantage of the new 5 sub rule.

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

2 players for every slot is essential

We made this mistake last season, we can't do it again

We've had many players who haven't had injury problems until they came here, you mention one in Dean, I've give you another in Luongo

We can't guarantee the same won't happen with the new signings

If we don't plan to bring a couple more in, we wouldn't have let  Brennan go

I think we will bring at least two more in, one may be Dean, the other might be a youngster

Anything less is a massive risk

I hear what you are saying and don’t massively disagree but the thread is about separating needs from wants. In the CB role in particular I really don’t think we want three spare CBs in the squad. I think our need is for a strong starting 11, plus a strong 5 subs and then players who can cover a number of roles (like Paterson/ Palmer can). 

Sure I want 2+ high quality players for every slot but it can’t possibly happen given FFP. 

As for the injury problems that’s something we are just going to have to solve if we are going to go up. You can’t possibly base your entire recruitment strategy around assuming everyone we sign will be a crock as soon as they walk through our door. Because there no way we could afford it! 

• Like 2

Lots of optimism on here for the past 2 weeks about winning the league etc but I'm not convinced the squad is stronger than last season as it stands. Yes we've brought players in but not convinced they're better than what we've released. For me we need as a minimum another CB and someone with pace going forward. Still have doubts about Smith and Gregory working. Hope I'm wrong! 

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Disagree. We played a game last season with Palmer, Paterson and Johnson as CBs last season, didn't we? Since then we've lost Dunkley, Hutchinson and Gibson... and Storey who was bought in afterwards to prevent that situation ever happening again. And Brennan is out on loan.

We've signed two replacement CBs so far.

What's the point in aspiring to be tactically flexible if you create a scenario where two long-term CB injuries mean you can no longer play a formation that got you to the playoffs?  

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Four more players in my view.

Two new centre halves. LWB cover. And another attacking option. 

I’d look to offload Brown and Sow. And I’d put Alex Hunt out on loan.

Agree with these, unsure how people can think we don’t need more CB’s when we play a system with 3 central defenders and excluding Palmer, only have 3 in the squad!!

As a minimum 2 more defenders then wingback cover & another striker which all will probably be done via the loan market 2 weeks after the season starts. 

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I hear what you are saying and don’t massively disagree but the thread is about separating needs from wants. In the CB role in particular I really don’t think we want three spare CBs in the squad. I think our need is for a strong starting 11, plus a strong 5 subs and then players who can cover a number of roles (like Paterson/ Palmer can). 

Sure I want 2+ high quality players for every slot but it can’t possibly happen given FFP. 

As for the injury problems that’s something we are just going to have to solve if we are going to go up. You can’t possibly base your entire recruitment strategy around assuming everyone we sign will be a crock as soon as they walk through our door. Because there no way we could afford it! 

You plan for as many eventualities as you can

We've just had a season where not having enough centre half's cost us promotion

To make a mistake once is foolish, to do it twice is idiocy

We will see what Mr Moore does, but my money says he will bring in another 2 centre half's minimum

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

9 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You plan for as many eventualities as you can

We've just had a season where not having enough centre half's cost us promotion

To make a mistake once is foolish, to do it twice is idiocy

We will see what Mr Moore does, but my money says he will bring in another 2 centre half's minimum

I suspect you are right - 2 more CBs. Especially as Palmer covers WB.

No idea if Moore thinks one of our young CBs is ready. That would be a bonus.

• Like 2