Need or Like?

We see posters saying we ‘need’ 5 or 6 players.

I disagree. I think we ‘need’ one player.

What do you think we absolutely NEED?And what do you think we would LIKE?

Mine….

NEED - a 4th CB, ideally a leftie. Starting the season with only 3, with one being the sadly too injury-prone Iorfa, would be a huge risk. Palmer is a decent back-up but not a CB. We can’t start a 352 season with 3 CBs on the books. 

LIKE - a 3rd CF to cover for Gregory or Smith. Otherwise we rely on Paterson and Windass as cover, and neither is a striker. 

LIKE - a left-footed WB as cover for Johnson. Brown is the only cover and he isn’t deemed good enough to get into the squad. Palmer does a good enough job at RWB and there’s Paterson, but we’ve nobody for the left.

Other than that I’m done and very happy indeed.

• Like 4

Like you I think we need one CB but would be happy with one or two forwards. We do seem to have cover for most positions now.

GK

Dawson 

Stockdale 

RB/RWB

Jack Hunt 

Palmer

LB/LWB

Johnson 

Brown 

CB

Iorfa

Heneghan

Ihiekwe 

Palmer 

???

CM

Bannan 

Byers

Vaulks

Adeniran 

Dele-Bashiru 

Alex Hunt

FW

Gregory 

Smith 

Windass 

Paterson 

Sow

• Like 1

Disagree. We played a game last season with Palmer, Paterson and Johnson as CBs last season, didn't we? Since then we've lost Dunkley, Hutchinson and Gibson... and Storey who was bought in afterwards to prevent that situation ever happening again. And Brennan is out on loan.

We've signed two replacement CBs so far.

What's the point in aspiring to be tactically flexible if you create a scenario where two long-term CB injuries mean you can no longer play a formation that got you to the playoffs?  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Certainly need more than 1. But certainly not a lot more. 

We have 3 CBs with Heneghan, Ihiekwe & Iorfa. You also have Palmer who can fill in either role but also will be needed at RWB. So for me we still need an experience CB like Dean to play as the middle CB & also a left footed one to play LCB. 

Some cover at LWB wouldn’t go a miss and we certainly are searching for another attacker with Wilks/Joseph linked.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Disagree. We played a game last season with Palmer, Paterson and Johnson as CBs last season, didn't we? Since then we've lost Dunkley, Hutchinson and Gibson... and Storey who was bought in afterwards to prevent that situation ever happening again. And Brennan is out on loan.

We've signed two replacement CBs so far.

What's the point in aspiring to be tactically flexible if you create a scenario where two long-term CB injuries mean you can no longer play a formation that got you to the playoffs?  

When you factor in the injury record of our CBs I think we are sorted with one more.

Last season we had Iorfa, Gibson, Dean and Dunkley injured for most of the time. They made Hutch look like Ironman.

By contrast Heneghan and Ihiekwe were virtual ever-presents. Get one more like them, hopefully left-footed, and IMO we are sorted. That’d be 5 counting Palmer.

Edited by Holmowl

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Last season we had Iorfa, Gibson, Dean and Dunkley injured for most of the time. They made Hutch look like Ironman.

By contrast Heneghan and Ihiekwe were virtual ever-presents. Get one more like them, hopefully left-footed, and IMO we are sorted. That’d be 5 counting Palmer.

Harlee Dean was omnipresent before joining us.

I don't trust one of them to  or break down forever

58 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We see posters saying we ‘need’ 5 or 6 players.

I disagree. I think we ‘need’ one player.

What do you think we absolutely NEED?And what do you think we would LIKE?

Mine….

NEED - a 4th CB, ideally a leftie. Starting the season with only 3, with one being the sadly too injury-prone Iorfa, would be a huge risk. Palmer is a decent back-up but not a CB. We can’t start a 352 season with 3 CBs on the books. 

LIKE - a 3rd CF to cover for Gregory or Smith. Otherwise we rely on Paterson and Windass as cover, and neither is a striker. 

LIKE - a left-footed WB as cover for Johnson. Brown is the only cover and he isn’t deemed good enough to get into the squad. Palmer does a good enough job at RWB and there’s Paterson, but we’ve nobody for the left.

Other than that I’m done and very happy indeed.

Agree with your 3 but I'd say all are needs. The three should be younger players too.

Given that I’m absolutely fully expecting automatic promotion this season then for that to happen I think we ‘need’ at least two players. One left footed centre back and one backup left footed wingback. 

I’d then like a couple of young fast players to give us alternatives in attack. 

To go up automatically we will need to absolutely max out on the five subs rule that’s coming in. Fresh legs at wingback are going to be crucial. Palmer/ hunt are good on the right. But left sided we need backup for Marv. We also start so many attacks from centre back a left footed CB to overlap with the left wingback is also going to be crucial. 

Up front and in minefield we have good options already but a bit of pace to bring on late in games is also going to be useful. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Reading some of these posts it's as though the first part of last season didn't happen

We had games with Palmer, Patterson and Johnson as the 3 centre backs

We had games with Palmer, Dunkley and Brennan as the 3 centre backs

Wake up people, we need 2-3 more centre backs

We need to replace NML, and Shodipo

I would also like a left back and another striker

5 needs, and 2 wants

That's another 7 to come through the door

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

57 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Four more players in my view.

Two new centre halves. LWB cover. And another attacking option. 

I’d look to offload Brown and Sow. And I’d put Alex Hunt out on loan.

Agree with this.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We had games with Palmer, Patterson and Johnson as the 3 centre backs

We had games with Palmer, Dunkley and Brennan as the 3 centre backs

I agree we need an extra CB and wouldn’t object to two, but the biggest problem that led to the above was the CBs we had were injury prone. Iorfa, Hutch, Dunkley were always a risk. We then brought in Dean and Storey and Dean immediately got injured. We need cover but more importantly we need players who are fit and available. We really shouldn’t need 6 players for three slots. 

• Like 4

It's all gone rather quiet, we did good early business then seems to have stalled. 

I think we need another CB, attacker and cover at wingback.

I would like us to swap Brown, Sow, Alex Hunt with players that are likely to provide competition and challenge for a first team place. 

• Like 2