Need or Like?

1 hour ago, JOCOWl said:

Lots of optimism on here for the past 2 weeks about winning the league etc but I'm not convinced the squad is stronger than last season as it stands. Yes we've brought players in but not convinced they're better than what we've released. For me we need as a minimum another CB and someone with pace going forward. Still have doubts about Smith and Gregory working. Hope I'm wrong! 

What makes you doubt Gregory & Smith? Pace?

I think it’ll work like a dream. Two predators waiting for the brilliant service we saw from Johnson, Hunt and Bannan.  Plus it allows us to be more effective with direct play, which wasn’t the case last year.

1 hour ago, JOCOWl said:

Lots of optimism on here for the past 2 weeks about winning the league etc but I'm not convinced the squad is stronger than last season as it stands. Yes we've brought players in but not convinced they're better than what we've released. For me we need as a minimum another CB and someone with pace going forward. Still have doubts about Smith and Gregory working. Hope I'm wrong! 

We're not there yet, no.

If you look at the 13 players who've left, we've not replaced them all, and nor do we need to, most probably. 

But we are going to need a few more recruits in order to realise our aim of automatic promotion by the end of a long, hard season, though.

Peacock-Farrell -> Stockdale 

Wildsmith -> ? 

Dunkley -> Heneghan 

Hutchinson -> Ihiekwe

Dean -> ?

Storey -> ?

Gibson -> ?

Luongo -> Vaulks

Mendez-Laing -> ?

Shodipo -> ?

John-Jules -> ?

Kamberi -> ?

Berahino -> Smith

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You plan for as many eventualities as you can

We've just had a season where not having enough centre half's cost us promotion

To make a mistake once is foolish, to do it twice is idiocy

We will see what Mr Moore does, but my money says he will bring in another 2 centre half's minimum

The key bit is planning for as many eventualities as you can. You can’t plan for too many though, because it’s cost prohibitive. 

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think it’ll work like a dream. Two predators waiting for the brilliant service we saw from Johnson, Hunt and Bannan.  Plus it allows us to be more effective with direct play, which wasn’t the case last year.

Yes, feel as though they're too similar and no pace. Would like to see a pain in the arse striker, someone with pace who doesn't stop pressing defenders and plays on their shoulder. 

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

It’s very positive that he played 43 full matches.

Though as part of a defence which let in 75 goals let’s hope he was their best player and was an oasis in a desert.

This part really worries me. 

Like I say I will reserve judgement but we have lost Dean Hutch Storey Gibson. We now have Ihekwe Iorfa Henaghan Palmer. 

The prior four are superior to the second four. I know we have had to cut our cloth but we deffo need 2 new ones. 

The season is incredibly long and we haven’t even dipped into the loan market yet which it would be daft not to do. 

Depending on the formation Moore wants us to play next season we still need 3-4 players.

CB first choice.

CB cover.

LWB cover.

CF with pace.

We lost a huge number of CBs in the Summer and we’d be foolish to go into this one thinking we have enough there to remain competitive.

I’d love to think that Brown or Galvin will show enough in pre-season to cover LWB but can’t see it.

The one thing that defenders hate playing against is pace and it turns defenders towards their own goal which makes a huge difference. If we have Smith, Gregory, Windass and Paterson then we need to add raw pace into the mix as a CF option.

I'd say we need at least 3 or 4 more signings and I'd also like us to bring in some loanees as well. Whether we can, we will, waiting for players to come available and for clubs to bring in players they need first or something, I don't know. But looking at previous seasons, we need strength in depth, especially in defence and attack to cover injuries and to give us more flexibility, competition for places and rotation.

Also looking at last season, we seem to be addressing our aerial weakness in both boxes and we need to address the lack of pace, dynamism and energy in the squad too. Despite all the issues on and off the field in previous years and being unable to sign players for fees last season, we weren't far off and at times in the second half of the season, it was the most exciting I've seen us play since Carlos' first season.

With the right recruitment, strength in depth and with more dynamism, solidity and clinical finishing, we should have a better chance of promotion this time. 

We need another centre back, especially with Brennan heading out.

Possibly cover at LWB, depends on if Galvin goes out on loan or not for me.

I think another forward would be wise, we missed Gregory last season when he was out for that 6 week period and the obvious miss of Windass for the majority of the season showed we needed that extra bit of cover.

I completely understand why posters feel we need to recruit an army of CBs because we’ve lost an army of CBs, but it’s worth looking at the freaky contrast between who we’ve lost and who we’ve brought in.

Here’s their league appearances last season:-

Hutch 28

Dunkley 21

Storey 19

Iorfa 19

Dean 7

Gibson 5

Ihiekwe 42

Heneghan 41

Im hopeful that Moore has his hooks into a third fit and able CB, hopefully left-footed, and that we see a settled back three almost all season. Iorfa and Palmer, with possibly one more, should see us amply catered for upto the January window.

• Like 1

Can’t believe how few are saying that we need another RWB. Unless Brown really kicks on, getting two pacey WBs is crucial. Hunt clearly can’t play every game and Palmer is nowhere near good enough offensively to play there regularly. If a game needed changing, there’s currently no one on the bench that would be capable of playing that role. Pato is not the answer here…

For me, we need two CBs, two pacey WBs and a pacey striker. We can just about make do with the rest thanks to the utility players across the squad. We’ve got a solid spine to the side but are desperately lacking the pace and athleticism that will worry teams and/or give us a plan B. 

Edited by lloydswfc
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The players you mention are all over 30 and players diminish every season at this age. 

Pace (and age) is an issue all over the pitch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We're not there yet, no.

If you look at the 13 players who've left, we've not replaced them all, and nor do we need to, most probably. 

But we are going to need a few more recruits in order to realise our aim of automatic promotion by the end of a long, hard season, though.

Peacock-Farrell -> Stockdale 

Wildsmith -> ? 

Dunkley -> Heneghan 

Hutchinson -> Ihiekwe

Dean -> ?

Storey -> ?

Gibson -> ?

Luongo -> Vaulks

Mendez-Laing -> ?

Shodipo -> ?

John-Jules -> ?

Kamberi -> ?

Berahino -> Smith

Let’s be honest the only upgrade there is smith on berahino.

Thats not slagging the others off there just not as good as who they have replaced. Vaulks in this league is a brilliant signing, but Luongo when fit was the best in this league at what he did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I completely understand why posters feel we need to recruit an army of CBs because we’ve lost an army of CBs, but it’s worth looking at the freaky contrast between who we’ve lost and who we’ve brought in.

Here’s their league appearances last season:-

Hutch 28

Dunkley 21

Storey 19

Iorfa 19

Dean 7

Gibson 5

Ihiekwe 42

Heneghan 41

Im hopeful that Moore has his hooks into a third fit and able CB, hopefully left-footed, and that we see a settled back three almost all season. Iorfa and Palmer, with possibly one more, should see us amply catered for upto the January window.

I think we’ll sign at least one CB but I’m wondering if he is actually going to use the academy for a couple of positions:

Stockdale

Dawson

New Ihekwe Galvin

Iorfa Heneghan Palmer

Hunt Byers Vaulks Bannan Johnson

Paterson  Dele Adenrian Hunt Aguas

Gregory Windass

Smith Wilks

• Thanks 1

I’d like us to sign 2 more centre backs (Dean and another),  cover for Johnson at LWB (Cadden),  cover for Bannan (Anderson) and at least one forward (Wilks). Maybe someone like Hirst on loan too.  So 6 new players - can’t see it happening tho

Ship out the players we don’t need on loans or permanent deals.  

Edited by Southie_Owl