£1 million bid for Josh Windass submitted to SWFC

17 hours ago, mogbad said:

He hasn't scored 20 goals in a season throughout his career, the most he's got is 16 for Accrington in League 2, what makes you think he will score 20+ for us next season if we keep him?

Because he will be playing with a lot better players than he was at Accrington.

Lee Gregory got 17 goals last season, after barely getting near 10 for the two season before.

league one is not a strong league. A shot on target has a 50:50 chance of being a goal, our big problem last season was our shots on target in total shots was very poor, but thats because we had very few games with two strikers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

But its not last season.  It will be a new season and he will be available to play

We get progressively worse coz we keep getting rid of our best players and not replacing them with same quality or better.  

Lets get rid of the poorer players instead.

No, we get progressively worse because we have consistently failed to utilise the transfer market to our own benefit. Specifically we haven’t cashed in on players and reinvested when we should have. 

None of the poorer players will fetch £1m, and that’s money that might bring in 2-3 other good players to strengthen 2-3 other areas of the team. 

• Like 5

I'd be very surprised if the offer is as high as a million. For an injury prone player from a 3rd tier English team who is getting on and only has a year left on his contract.

Argentinian football is not awash with money.

Talleres spent £3.78M on players last season, their most expensive signing was £1.5M on a 22 year old centre forward from River Plate.

Argentinian teams sell their best players abroad for big fees but they don't spend very much on transfers within the Liga Profesional. Even the bigger clubs such as  River Plate and Boca Juniors only pay £1-2M for players. 

I would imagine they would be offering a small amount up front and further payments based on appearances. 

I would be wary of such a deal.

If we didn’t have any money we’d not have covered the various losses we’ve made over the last few seasons and wouldn’t be talking about supporting the manager without an embargo now. 1m sales are good practice in isolation and show a bit of learning but a drop in the ocean in terms of managing losses and FFP. That’s why we will push for more otherwise it becomes almost 50/50 (depending on who we can bring in) and a bit of a crystal ball gazing exercise ie stick and hope for a better pay day from having more goals in the team or twist and make a bit of an isolated profit but respend it and see if we can do the same. For absolute no brainers it’s the kind of money we were offered for joao as that makes a big dent and if he gets sold this summer there is more income there also. Possibly more than what we’d get for windass

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I'd be very surprised if the offer is as high as a million. For an injury prone player from a 3rd tier English team who is getting on and only has a year left on his contract.

Argentinian football is not awash with money.

Talleres spent £3.78M on players last season, their most expensive signing was £1.5M on a 22 year old centre forward from River Plate.

Argentinian teams sell their best players abroad for big fees but they don't spend very much on transfers within the Liga Profesional. Even the bigger clubs such as  River Plate and Boca Juniors only pay £1-2M for players. 

I would imagine they would be offering a small amount up front and further payments based on appearances. 

I would be wary of such a deal.

If that’s the case then I’d suspect they will be told where to go as millwall were last summer 

26 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

No, we get progressively worse because we have consistently failed to utilise the transfer market to our own benefit. Specifically we haven’t cashed in on players and reinvested when we should have. 

None of the poorer players will fetch £1m, and that’s money that might bring in 2-3 other good players to strengthen 2-3 other areas of the team. 

Oh god another Football manager expert.  What level are you on?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Oh god another Football manager expert.  What level are you on?

I mean it was just a suggestion, really.

We could always carry on waiting for players to run down their contracts and leave for nowt, which has worked wonders before.

• Like 5

On 28/05/2022 at 16:36, FreshOwl said:

The league is irrelevant. Will Grigg went for £3m in this league, Jack Marriott £3m, Paddy McNair (whose a CB) over £5m. 

Not saying we’d get £5m but we could defo squeeze more out than £1m. Windass is 28 so should be at his peak and apart from last season had a good injury record.

Has proven himself in the championship and held his own at Rangers 

Held his own what at Rangers? His own waterbottle at best? 😉

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He generally does...

20/21: 44

19/20: 25

18/19: 45

17/18: 41

16/17: 27

15/16: 35

14/15: 39

Then he comes to us and spends a season on the treatment table. Coincidence? I think not.

Not sure how much we paid for Windass but I would be tempted to cash in.

I like Windass as a player but have difficulty seeing where he fits into the team.  He’s almost a luxury player we don’t need IMO.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You are putting up obstacles which aren't there.   We do have money and DC will spend accordingly.

Yes we have loads of money.
That’s why we are only a few months on from our latest efl imposed restrictions due to financial mismanagement.

• Haha 1