£1 million bid for Josh Windass submitted to SWFC

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

All this has nothing to with the price of paying for a player of Windass standing.  

It has...... in my opinion. If we looked at a player of similar ability and latter injury issues we'd be factoring the injury risk into our valuation.

I'd love him to be over his injuries and stay and have a great season next term. We dont really know yet if he is fully and permanently  recovered though.  His record last season adds to the risk and will impact on other club's  valuations too. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

It has...... in my opinion. If we looked at a player of similar ability and latter injury issues we'd be factoring the injury risk into our valuation.

I'd love him to be over his injuries and stay and have a great season next term. We dont really know yet if he is fully and permanently  recovered though.  His record last season adds to the risk and will impact on other club's  valuations too. 

Why would we be looking at a player with injury issues?  Just doesn't make any sense.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

First rule of business...never accept the first offer. Everyone puts a low offer in first to test the water, everyone always asks more for an item than their minimum selling price.

If they offer £1m and we say we want £2m then we start negotiating. We will meet somewhere between those figures or their maximum will be lower than our minimum asking price and we both decide a deal isn't possible.

Psycholocically if you are buying a £200k house and you offer £190k and it gets accepted you will wonder if you could have got it for £180k, it leaves that little niggle in your mind that you might have over paid.

I accept we might sell but there's more money to be had.

another rule of business is bargaining from a position of strength.

we are skint

he's been injured

he's approaching the end of his contract

we need to consolidate our wage bill

it would be a shame to lose the deal by being greedy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Why would it still be £500k when he has grown in stature?

How has he grown in stature? He played ok a few games for a crap team that got relegated from the championship and then missed all of last season.

If being injured for a year is growing in stature then it’s a shame we didn’t sell the likes of Abdi for tens of millions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 million now or reject and keep an unhappy player on our books who then leaves for free

I like windass but it makes sense to sell especially as we got to play offs without him and can spend less, and get the same kind of goal contribution in the coming season.

Not talking about a 25 goal a season man. But someone who can hit 12-15 that costs nothing and is on less wages

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

How has he grown in stature? He played ok a few games for a crap team that got relegated from the championship and then missed all of last season.

If being injured for a year is growing in stature then it’s a shame we didn’t sell the likes of Abdi for tens of millions.

The if part I didn't make a claim for, that's called a strawman argument.

My claim argument is that to replace Windass would cost north of a million pounds taking into account his scoring ability and his overall contribution to the side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

My claim argument is that to replace Windass would cost north of a million pounds taking into account his scoring ability and his overall contribution to the side.

His overall contribution to the side… being fit enough to start 4 games last season.

I’m quite confident we could adequately replace him for much less than a million quid

Edited by beswetherick
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

His scoring ability for our club in this division is nowhere near that of Gregory’s and Gregory has played 3 times as many games. Gregory was signed on a free transfer so explain to me how we need to spend £2m on a player to get someone of similar scoring ability? 

• Like 1

Just now, beswetherick said:

His overall contribution to the side… being fit enough to start 4 games last season.

I’m quite confident we could adequately replace him for much less than a million quid

Why be so dishonest in a discussion? I obviously mean at his most productive, surely you can grasp that.

Please stop replying to me, I have no further interest in your opinion. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

His scoring ability for our club in this division is nowhere near that of Gregory’s and Gregory has played 3 times as many games. Gregory was signed on a free transfer so explain to me how we need to spend £2m on a player to get someone of similar scoring ability? 

And now Gregory is worth vastly more than a free transfer.   

• Like 1