£1 million bid for Josh Windass submitted to SWFC

17 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Then he comes to us and spends a season on the treatment table. Coincidence? I think not.

Exactly.

He's not the first and he won't be the last to pick up a serious injury here.

He did manage 53 games for us before getting injured, though.

Whatever did happen as a result of that investigation into our injury record, anyway?

46 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Trouble is he's a good player, so we would end up with an average player.

Stop getting rid of our good players it's nonsensical!!!!

I’m sure it will be a real stretch to replace 9 appearances and 4 goals with a million quid in League One.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marro said:

Not sure how much we paid for Windass but I would be tempted to cash in.

I like Windass as a player but have difficulty seeing where he fits into the team.  He’s almost a luxury player we don’t need IMO.

£500k I believe. 

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I’m sure it will be a real stretch to replace 9 appearances and 4 goals with a million quid in League One.

That was last season.

He may well be fully fit and ready to play a full season again now.

If he can match the 44 appearances he managed for us in the previous season, then we may well struggle to find a better option whilst we're in League One.

• Like 1

Get rid. Hardly ever plays. We need to learn lessons - we've seen this kind of situation countless times before at Hillsborough and more often than not we hang on to players that just don't contribute enough to cover what they cost. It has to change.

3 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Get rid. Hardly ever plays. We need to learn lessons - we've seen this kind of situation countless times before at Hillsborough and more often than not we hang on to players that just don't contribute enough to cover what they cost. It has to change.

He played 44 games the previous season. There is no reason why he can't do that again now he's over his injury. 

16 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That was last season.

He may well be fully fit and ready to play a full season again now.

If he can match the 44 appearances he managed for us in the previous season, then we may well struggle to find a better option whilst we're in League One.

Forgive me (or any Wednesday fan) for being sceptical of the phrase “may well be fully fit”. Too many if’s and maybes for me there when there’s a million quid on the table. 

The way this type of thing has gone in the previous 6 years of the DC era is that we turn down the money, don’t get the other recruitment right, the player stays but does little and then leaves for nowt. Maybe once - just once - we try an alternative and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Forgive me (or any Wednesday fan) for being sceptical of the phrase “may well be fully fit”. Too many if’s and maybes for me there when there’s a million quid on the table. 

The way this type of thing has gone in the previous 6 years of the DC era is that we turn down the money, don’t get the other recruitment right, the player stays but does little and then leaves for nowt. Maybe once - just once - we try an alternative and see what happens.

If you are going to be that sceptical then they might as well not say anything, as you will simply dismiss with a wave of the hand.

So the alternative is to sell him, buy two or three players hoping that they might come good.  When we already have a tried and tested player.

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yeah, we've been burnt by hanging on to players and letting them walk away for nothing, which is why we should either extend his contract or try to do a deal. Keeping him with a year on his current makes no sense when there's good money on the table.

But that's a separate issue to his injury, for me. If the medical team think that his issue is behind him, then we'd be daft to sell him based on a bad injury last season. It's not as if he's had serious issues throughout his career, is it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I mean it was just a suggestion, really.

We could always carry on waiting for players to run down their contracts and leave for nowt, which has worked wonders before.

When a player runs his contract down, the buying club pays the player the transfer fee, instead of paying the selling club. The overall cost of the deal will be roughly the same.

48 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If you are going to be that sceptical then they might as well not say anything, as you will simply dismiss with a wave of the hand.

So the alternative is to sell him, buy two or three players hoping that they might come good.  When we already have a tried and tested player.

Its a discussion forum, and it isn’t necessarily about being sceptical. There’s money on the table and there’s pros and cons to doing a deal. 

Theres a case for keeping Windass and a case for selling. I’m not desperate for Windass to go. He’s a talent. I just personally believe that the primary reason we are where we are is a failure to make decisions on letting certain players leave and maximising value. I’m also balancing the fact that we’re in League One with a team full of holes in it that need addressing this summer. I don’t believe any player is irreplaceable and think the money would be better off re-invested in the squad.

I’d like to take the money. If not, hopefully he can stay fit and help for a greater portion of the season. We’ve obviously got a player at this level if he stays, I’m not denying that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Its a discussion forum, and it isn’t necessarily about being sceptical. There’s money on the table and there’s pros and cons to doing a deal. 

Theres a case for keeping Windass and a case for selling. I’m not desperate for Windass to go. He’s a talent. I just personally believe that the primary reason we are where we are is a failure to make decisions on letting certain players leave and maximising value. I’m also balancing the fact that we’re in League One with a team full of holes in it that need addressing this summer. I don’t believe any player is irreplaceable and think the money would be better off re-invested in the squad.

I’d like to take the money. If not, hopefully he can stay fit and help for a greater portion of the season. We’ve obviously got a player at this level if he stays, I’m not denying that.

I agree overall with most of that very well put, but i maintain that if he wants to stay then we would be better off keeping him and look to improve the squad by moving out the "poorer" players.