SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

39 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Posted this yesterday , and its looking more and more likely , don`t get me wrong , for once DC may be cutting his cloth appropriately but taking everything into account ,     the two signings we have made , Wildsmith and Mendez-Laing turning down offers ,  and targets like Tucker and Smith opting for MK and Rotherham ,  would seem to back this up.

Or Tucker didn’t want to move North. Smith is in Championship. Wildsmith didn’t want to play back up any longer. NML perhaps will be offered deals elsewhere better than ours I reckon.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

I agree with you on this

The source was quoting Rosenior was getting the Blackpool job this time last week, basically quoting what Nixon was saying

Would be funny seeing the Millers spending a huge amount of their budget on a striker that doesn’t score in the championship 

Well they are due another relegation next season....

Just now, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Be interesting re luongo . Will he train tomorrow if he hasn’t signed a new deal ? Contract runs out in few weeks as it stands . Interestingly he put a short video on Instagram yesterday with a mini highlights reel of some tackles and an assist v Oxford away . Whether that’s any sort of indication or good/ bad . I’d say it’s a good sign but 

So as I have mentioned here before I am good mates with one of the data analysts at the club. He hasn't told me anything on his contract (think it's probably out of his perameters tbh), but he does know Mass and I do know this:

• Mass wants to be in the squad for World Cup Qatar 2022
  • If he feels that moving clubs would get him there, he would
  • But, he is happy in Sheffield and has a young family
  • Up until around November/December, he was expecting to leave the club and go back to Australia (didn't expect to be offered  a deal)
  • But then he started getting in the team and now for Mass it's more a decision based on international football, I very much doubt he would join another English club
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Not sure I trust the reliability of the source regarding Michael Smith.

Seems to regurgitate most other peoples stories whilst chucking a few in himself. 

Can’t find anything that suggests he works for Talksport or BBC either.

I thought this too, although I’d seen a few other non verified accounts saying similar. Nonetheless if we didn’t get him I think we could get a budget option to do the same job. Oliver being an example, we need the physicality and know how as much as goals and we would have those in Gregory, windass and others we might get such as wilks. Although Oliver has scored in a poor team. It would also be harder to keep three or four top end strikers happy. I always saw the target man as a nuhiu type squad man to roll out in certain situations.

8 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

So as I have mentioned here before I am good mates with one of the data analysts at the club. He hasn't told me anything on his contract (think it's probably out of his perameters tbh), but he does know Mass and I do know this:

• Up until around November/December, he was expecting to leave the club and go back to Australia (didn't expect to be offered  a deal)
  • But then he started getting in the team and now for Mass it's more a decision based on international football, I very much doubt he would join another English club

The key question here is.... would he get in the AUS squad playing for us. If he is fit and playing i think he would. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The key question here is.... would he get in the AUS squad playing for us. If he is fit and playing i think he would. 

Ultimately, I'm not sure. You look at the AUS midfield at the moment and I don't see how Mass plays really.

Mooy

Rogic

McGree

Genreau

Hrustic

Irvine

Dougall

Maybe he comes in for Kenny Dougall or Jackson Irvine? I'm not sure but I know that he feels he has a decent chance of being involved

10 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

I think he's got a chance of being in their squad. Had a very good second half of the season. 

That said, it's a double edged sword if he did stay as that's quite a few games he would miss. 

I understand players wanting to play for their country, but for me it's all about Wednesday. I wouldn't ever doubt Luongo's commitment, but if priorities different, perhaps a move on the cards.

I suspect as this decision is going to the wire, it is a close run thing and not clear cut 

So yeah its been slow so far this pre season which is kinda the opposite of what we want but am i right in thinking that we are coming back to pre season early because of the Stupid winter world cup ?

I would have liked 7 or 8 new bodies in for Monday but were clearly cutting the cloth and to be honest we still have too many players on the books. I think we needed around 11 signings again this pre season, but i also think we needed to get a few out. That now seems to have started with Wildsmith and Mendez going, but still Dawson is at the most saleable point he has ever been at, can we actually get some money in for him now we have a new keeper ?? He really needs to move on for himself. We still have players like Brown Paterson Sow on the books. Galvin either needs to step up and take Browns place or move on. Were looking for that target man type striker which makes Paterson redundant and Sow although showing some early promise didnt look up to it in the end so needs to be moved along. There doesnt seem to be any indication that this will be happening any time soon.

So its now 6 weeks or so until we start and but you would expect the majority of the work to have been done before we go to Portugal so i hope things will speed up shortly.

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The other key question is do we want one of our main players out at the world cup for 2 months in the middle of the season....and be paying him for it?

I can't see many league one teams losing arguably one of their better players like that to the world cup 

If Mass wants to play in the World Cup he needs to be regularly playing and well. Surely that’s the 1st port of call. The player selection is as good as nailed on week in week out with us. Not so much elsewhere. 

Personally I think it’s a bridge too far right now. He’s not in the managers thoughts. He needs to be playing regularly to force himself into thinking. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Ultimately, I'm not sure. You look at the AUS midfield at the moment and I don't see how Mass plays really.

Mooy

Rogic

McGree

Genreau

Hrustic

Irvine

Dougall

Maybe he comes in for Kenny Dougall or Jackson Irvine? I'm not sure but I know that he feels he has a decent chance of being involved

I think its all down to playing to be honest. Lets say we actually start decent and are in the top 2 come world cup time and Mass has played regularly in that period, surely he then has a chance. He's a better player than at least 3 on that list but they do play at higher levels. Its a tough one, you'd hope that his history with the National side would help him.

I really want him to stay.

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

The other key question is do we want one of our main players out at the world cup for 2 months in the middle of the season....and be paying him for it?

I can't see many league one teams losing arguably one of their better players like that to the world cup 

Thats the issue we have if we manage to keep him. Having a player of his calibre in this league means taking that sacrifice. However.... if we do mange to keep him it gives us 6 months to get Adenerin fit and trained in his role !

10 minutes ago, marshy said:

If Mass wants to play in the World Cup he needs to be regularly playing and well. Surely that’s the 1st port of call. The player selection is as good as nailed on week in week out with us. Not so much elsewhere. 

Personally I think it’s a bridge too far right now. He’s not in the managers thoughts. He needs to be playing regularly to force himself into thinking. 

But is he better off playing week in week out for a Melbourne Victory or Adelaide United than Sheffield Wednesday, where he would be even more prominent in the manager's view most likely? 

I think, for an international call-up, he probably would.

Edited by Tony Pulis

3 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

But is he better off playing week in week out for a Melbourne Victory or Adelaide United than Sheffield Wednesday, where he would be even more prominent in the manager's view most likely? 

I think, for an international call-up, he probably would.

He'd be better off here in Australia in my opinion, if he wants back into the national team.

Admittedly on limited viewing, he'd be up there as one of the better players in his position.

Edited by Maddogbob

35 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

that interesting .. all will soon be revealed. Expecting a busy 2-4 weeks transfers wise 

I'd rather have a Wednesday team missing Luongo for 2 months.  Should he get a call up (which let's be honest, is quite unlikely looking at his competition) we can cover his loss for couple of months, but to replace him with someone of similar quality for a season is nigh on impossible at this level.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So yeah its been slow so far this pre season which is kinda the opposite of what we want but am i right in thinking that we are coming back to pre season early because of the Stupid winter world cup ?

I would have liked 7 or 8 new bodies in for Monday but were clearly cutting the cloth and to be honest we still have too many players on the books. I think we needed around 11 signings again this pre season, but i also think we needed to get a few out. That now seems to have started with Wildsmith and Mendez going, but still Dawson is at the most saleable point he has ever been at, can we actually get some money in for him now we have a new keeper ?? He really needs to move on for himself. We still have players like Brown Paterson Sow on the books. Galvin either needs to step up and take Browns place or move on. Were looking for that target man type striker which makes Paterson redundant and Sow although showing some early promise didnt look up to it in the end so needs to be moved along. There doesnt seem to be any indication that this will be happening any time soon.

So its now 6 weeks or so until we start and but you would expect the majority of the work to have been done before we go to Portugal so i hope things will speed up shortly.

If we sell Dawson we would have to bring in another keeper so i can't see that happening. 

46 minutes ago, Jonboy42 said:

Or Tucker didn’t want to move North. Smith is in Championship. Wildsmith didn’t want to play back up any longer. NML perhaps will be offered deals elsewhere better than ours I reckon.

Yes I think all that is the most logical and likely. That said I have absolutely  no issue with us cutting our cloth appropriately. I just hope that we don't go down the road of filling the squad with high waged 30+ recruits along with teenage loan punts.

10 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

He'd be better off here in Australia in my opinion, if he wants back into the national team.

Admittedly on limited viewing, he'd be up there as one of the better players in his position.

It depends on the tactics for next season if he wants to showcase his talents.

If it is 'more of the same' then he'll be better off elsewhere as teams will be playing high press and hitting it over the top of him, nullifying his best attributes, the long passing and defensive stuff,and exposing his biggest weakness which is chasing down players who get behind him.