SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

10 hours ago, 0114 said:

Josh Windass doesn’t fit into a front 2. Not a striker. He’s a 10 and he’s not taking Bannan’s role. 

Wilks and Windass are perfect in a 433/4231 but all the noise is we plan to play and recruit for 352 but have more flexible players. So for me, judging the team in a 352 Smith absolutely walks into that starting 11. 

A Smith/Stockley signing is what we need. We lacked a target last season. Smith is a couple years older and wouldn’t require a fee so makes more sense. They add a different string to our bow. Seems some just want to improve the bench. Smith would be a real coup. 

All about opinions mate 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel. said:

Apologies if you feel I am being hostile. Probably more frustrated at how the point being made here is twisted and condensed into the wrong message that i think it would be a bad thing that we signed him and rather we only signed “poor”players to sit on the bench when that is clearly not what I am saying as explained in the posts themselves. It’s more a case that signing him at all costs because he had a good season last year could be detrimental.

there will be a range of players coming in and different players will need to be on the bench at different times so it depends on whether they are going to accept that or not if another player is keeping them out. In smiths case who knows but he’d certainly be the main man in the league above elsewhere.

If he’s got championship offers and comes in on say 8k a week (complete guess) and Gregory is on 5k (also a guess) the latter is going to want a rise fairly shortly and that’s how it starts. One or two others might too. As you say the club is being tougher and that’s a good thing if they don’t but by the same token I think that makes it more difficult for us to sign smith unless we offer him a longer contract which is another issue for another day.

We have goal scorers already and I think we will sign more but we lack the physicality and some aerial threat that can be added via various players. That doesn’t make them worse simply because it is not Michael Smith but they may be better value for money if we cannot get him within our wage structure and they could still do the job we need them to do, act as a target man to do the dirty work. 

Half of what your positing if speculation. I’m just discussing wether a player is good or not, if they offer more or not. I don’t think signing Smith on even those sort of wages would be bad at this level.

Your worry in a situation like that is when you’ve got players on £20k plus and players on £5k. I think that can cause issues. I think that did cause issues under Carvalhal but I certainly don’t think that’s the case now? Although Bannan is likely very handsomely paid for a player of this level. 

I get what your saying at the bottom. But that’s why I’m saying Smith is a good option because he wouldn’t involve a transfer fee unlike many other players you mentioned which may actually make them more expensive. He’s also one of the best around at this level for what he does, I think we desperately need a him or Stockley and I get the impression that’s what Moore is looking at. 

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Bargain that.

Think we have plenty of 10’s so not likely a position we are desperate for. 

He plays all across the midfield spend most of last season on left and right midfield.

He would be an improvement on what we have and in a few years will continuing involvement would be our star man.

Of course like all our recruitment we have once again missed them boat.

14 players left only 2 signings and the players report back for preseason this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

He plays all across the midfield spend most of last season on left and right midfield.

He would be an improvement on what we have and in a few years will continuing involvement would be our star man.

Of course like all our recruitment we have once again missed them boat.

14 players left only 2 signings and the players report back for preseason this week.

Would love Wednesday to make more signings like this.

He’d be ideal in a 4231 as he’d be able to operate in so many positions.

Be a great long term solution to Bannan.

Someone is getting a bargain if he goes for £1m. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Cauley Woodrow in talks to join Luton

Would have been a good signing for us but he was always more likely to choose a Championship club over us.

On the plus side that’s Barnsley’s front line weaker for this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

Would have been a good signing for us but he was always more likely to choose a Championship club over us.

On the plus side that’s Barnsley’s front line weaker for this season.

I would of been surprised to see him leave Barnsley for another club in L1. He’s got a decent record in the Championship. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thebizzle said:

Should be 2 additional players by the end of the week

Vaulks, Wilks?

Rumours a bit thin on the ground, other than these two and we never seem to do surprise signings without something leaking out 

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Can’t remember where I heard it from but I’d heard recently the club had made contact with Steven Fletcher about the possibility of him coming back.

I'm still coming down from his last 'appearance' in a Wednesday shirt....  lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Can’t remember where I heard it from but I’d heard recently the club had made contact with Steven Fletcher about the possibility of him coming back.

Heard the same.

Also, heard the name Jack Diamond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1