SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

9 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The part in bold is spot on. We do. And neither of the signings so far have done that. There not even on a par. However, If you take Gregory and Windass as our front two, I’m not such Michael Smith does either to be honest. 

If as expected Wilks signs he’s coming as a CF. Just like Windass is a CF. We’re gonna go two up hopefully and there may be the odd game where we can look at playing a three or Bannan doesn’t play so we use Wilks or Windass as a ten behind 2 strikers but in the main I think it will be 2 up top. So I do see @Bluesteel.point as valid. We could do with a target man type that knows he won’t be playing 46 games. Nuhiu was perfect in this role. 

Josh Windass doesn’t fit into a front 2. Not a striker. He’s a 10 and he’s not taking Bannan’s role. 

Wilks and Windass are perfect in a 433/4231 but all the noise is we plan to play and recruit for 352 but have more flexible players. So for me, judging the team in a 352 Smith absolutely walks into that starting 11. 

A Smith/Stockley signing is what we need. We lacked a target last season. Smith is a couple years older and wouldn’t require a fee so makes more sense. They add a different string to our bow. Seems some just want to improve the bench. Smith would be a real coup. 

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Josh Windass doesn’t fit into a front 2. Not a striker. He’s a 10 and he’s not taking Bannan’s role. 

Wilks and Windass are perfect in a 433/4231 but all the noise is we plan to play and recruit for 352 but have more flexible players. So for me, judging the team in a 352 Smith absolutely walks into that starting 11. 

A Smith/Stockley signing is what we need. We lacked a target last season. Smith is a couple years older and wouldn’t require a fee so makes more sense. They add a different string to our bow. Seems some just want to improve the bench. Smith would be a real coup. 

But why would these players come to Hillsborough as rotational players?

Gregory doesn't fulfill the pace or lump role, so it's going to be one of the others depending on need, justice last season.

If you're going to drop down a division, why would you go to a team where you aren't going to start every game possible?

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Gregory doesn't fulfill the pace or lump role, so it's going to be one of the others depending on need, justice last season.

If you're going to drop down a division, why would you go to a team where you aren't going to start every game possible?

Where and who am I suggesting will come as rotational players? 

6 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I’m trying to improve the starting 11. Not the bench. I did mention Stockley, but let’s just forget that eh. 

Similar points apply to Stockley as hed cost a fortune to get out of Charlton. But i do like him and i do like smith. I think those type of players are a dying breed, but there are always players capable of doing their job if the club has done its scouting right. It doesn’t have to be the obvious and costly ones is all I am saying. Again many of these names are irrelevant but I could see someone like Kion Etete clicking into gear in the next couple of seasons, much younger also.

Im suggesting we improve the squad and the first 11 which wasn’t all that far away on 85 points, we must need at least 8 players assuming the budget is smaller whereas if we only needed 2/3 maybe it’s easier to splash on one or two key ones 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

This is exactly the point. We don’t have any choice but to improve the bench even if it’s Gregory or Windass sat on it at times because Smith or Stockley has come in. But will any of them be happy not playing at league one level. I completely agree we need a smith or a stockley type to address a glaring weakness but it is a factor and if we don’t sign one of those two players and went down a different route. Whose to say that whoever we do bring in to do it doesn’t do a good job at it without all the hype around the name of the player themselves. Neither of those two are world beaters but they are expensive so if we don’t get them, it’s not a disaster. If we do, then were in a good spot but DM has a different kind of challenge to last season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Similar points apply to Stockley as hed cost a fortune to get out of Charlton. But i do like him and i do like smith. I think those type of players are a dying breed, but there are always players capable of doing their job if the club has done its scouting right. It doesn’t have to be the obvious and costly ones is all I am saying. Again many of these names are irrelevant but I could see someone like Kion Etete clicking into gear in the next couple of seasons, much younger also.

Im suggesting we improve the squad and the first 11 which wasn’t all that far away on 85 points, we must need at least 8 players assuming the budget is smaller whereas if we only needed 2/3 maybe it’s easier to splash on one or two key ones 

I agree about Stockley hence why I think Smith is the better option.

But your worrying about who may upset about being on the bench? I’m just trying to suggest who fits into what Moore played last season and what makes more sense. 

If Moore signs Wilks, Smith & Anderson I worry where they all fit into the successful 3412 we used. Changing system is a worry for me and I would prefer Wednesday just recruited with what was successful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Who was it that mentioned Chris Maguire coming back ?  Did I imagine it , or did I read that in here at some point ? 

👇👇👇

On 12/06/2022 at 12:56, Ever the pessimist said:

Told a few on here privately last week, but I’m more comfortable making it public now: we’ve made initial contact with Chris Maguire, although Lincoln won’t want him to leave.

8 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I agree about Stockley hence why I think Smith is the better option.

But your worrying about who may upset about being on the bench? I’m just trying to suggest who fits into what Moore played last season and what makes more sense. 

If Moore signs Wilks, Smith & Anderson I worry where they all fit into the successful 3412 we used. Changing system is a worry for me and I would prefer Wednesday just recruited with what was successful. 

If it has a detrimental or divisive effect to what has been quite a cohesive group then yeah but it’s just a thought from the outside and it has happened before when players have moved here purely for the money which let’s face it anyone from the championship would be doing. 

We both want us to be successful quite clearly and there are multiple ways to do that, which is the main point I am making, we will see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

👇👇👇

Hasn’t maguire been knocking around with some Wednesday players this summer too? To be fair to him he’s been a decent player in this league and a lot of Sunderland fans liked him. Tended to make a difference in some big games 

7 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

If it has a detrimental or divisive effect to what has been quite a cohesive group then yeah but it’s just a thought from the outside and it has happened before when players have moved here purely for the money which let’s face it anyone from the championship would be doing. 

We both want us to be successful quite clearly and there are multiple ways to do that, which is the main point I am making, we will see.

I don’t think you realise how many players have left. Bringing in arguably the best target man in the division last season can’t be a bad thing? We have 1 striker on the books, who is going to be upset with this?

You’ve suggested a few other names who mostly involve fees that would be happy to sit on the bench? Bowman? Oliver? Let’s try and improve the first 11.

Guys, guys, guys.

Let's keep the faith. We have signed two players: statistically one of the best centre-halves in the league last year, and statistically the best GK in the league last year who also was an inch away from promotion.

Pre-season hasn't even started yet, and this will no doubt speed things up as players are deemed surplus elsewhere.

The only target that we've missed out on is Tucker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I don’t think you realise how many players have left. Bringing in arguably the best target man in the division last season can’t be a bad thing? We have 1 striker on the books, who is going to be upset with this?

You’ve suggested a few other names who mostly involve fees that would be happy to sit on the bench? Bowman? Oliver? Let’s try and improve the first 11.

Rather than just repeat yourself and have us go round in circles. Try reading what I have actually posted.

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Rather than just repeat yourself and have us go round in circles. Try reading what I have actually posted.

I did, you said signing players like Smith or Stockley could have a “detrimental or deceive effect on a cohesive group”. Based on absolutely nothing factual that would suggest that is going to happen? So you’d prefer to sign Oliver or Bowman to keep others happy, strange approach, not for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Sunderland, Huddersfield and Bristol City have made £1m plus bids for AFC Wimbledon's 21-year-old English midfielder Jack Rudoni - probably prices us out of that signing then.  

Bargain that.

Think we have plenty of 10’s so not likely a position we are desperate for. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I did, you said signing players like Smith or Stockley could have a “detrimental or deceive effect on a cohesive group”. Based on absolutely nothing factual that would suggest that is going to happen? So you’d prefer to sign Oliver or Bowman to keep others happy, strange approach, not for me. 

I said if we signed players on a big wage and if they were coming for money and expecting to play week in week out it could do and result in other players also clamouring for a wage increase as it has done. It doesn’t need a genius to see that. If it all fits within a wage structure and they buy into DMs more rotational approach then it probably isn’t a problem. I think it’s only you who is choosing to see this as very black and white. These are still limited players and we can improve the starting 11 with or without them seeing as we don’t have a target man at all.

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I said if we signed players on a big wage and if they were coming for money and expecting to play week in week out it could do and result in other players also clamouring for a wage increase as it has done. It doesn’t need a genius to see that. If it all fits within a wage structure and they buy into DMs more rotational approach then it probably isn’t a problem. I think it’s only you who is choosing to see this as very black and white. These are still limited players and we can improve the starting 11 with or without them seeing as we don’t have a target man at all.

That’s obviously for the club to sort with the player? We can improve our starting 11 easily.

We’ve been reducing the wage bill for the last 2/3 years so I’ll be surprised if the club is willing to massively over pay on a player? Even in today’s Star it says how Wednesday are no longer the soft touch over contracts they have been in the past.

I don’t see why this had turned a little hostile on your part. I thought we was having a decent debate but seems you’ve become a littlest emotional about me saying we should sign the divisions best players.

If  you’d rather sign worse ones for the bench just so our first 11 are all really happy with no real competition then it’s a strange approach, but it’s not for me. 

19 minutes ago, 0114 said:

That’s obviously for the club to sort with the player? We can improve our starting 11 easily.

We’ve been reducing the wage bill for the last 2/3 years so I’ll be surprised if the club is willing to massively over pay on a player? Even in today’s Star it says how Wednesday are no longer the soft touch over contracts they have been in the past.

I don’t see why this had turned a little hostile on your part. I thought we was having a decent debate but seems you’ve become a littlest emotional about me saying we should sign the divisions best players.

If  you’d rather sign worse ones for the bench just so our first 11 are all really happy with no real competition then it’s a strange approach, but it’s not for me. 

Apologies if you feel I am being hostile. Probably more frustrated at how the point being made here is twisted and condensed into the wrong message that i think it would be a bad thing that we signed him and rather we only signed “poor”players to sit on the bench when that is clearly not what I am saying as explained in the posts themselves. It’s more a case that signing him at all costs because he had a good season last year could be detrimental.

there will be a range of players coming in and different players will need to be on the bench at different times so it depends on whether they are going to accept that or not if another player is keeping them out. In smiths case who knows but he’d certainly be the main man in the league above elsewhere.

If he’s got championship offers and comes in on say 8k a week (complete guess) and Gregory is on 5k (also a guess) the latter is going to want a rise fairly shortly and that’s how it starts. One or two others might too. As you say the club is being tougher and that’s a good thing if they don’t but by the same token I think that makes it more difficult for us to sign smith unless we offer him a longer contract which is another issue for another day.

We have goal scorers already and I think we will sign more but we lack the physicality and some aerial threat that can be added via various players. That doesn’t make them worse simply because it is not Michael Smith but they may be better value for money if we cannot get him within our wage structure and they could still do the job we need them to do, act as a target man to do the dirty work.