Is the Championship all that ?

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Keep reading how DM has failed because we didn’t get promoted. How this year was our best chance to get out of this Division or we must get out next year. 
I’ve been watching Wednesday since 1979 and have been blessed to see Sgt Wilkos side in the 80s and witnessed the relative success of the 90s and our sortie into Europe. 
However, in this millennium , my favourite seasons have been “mind the gap” , Carlos1 , this season, CarlosI2 and Sturrockos season. 
i enjoy watching us win more than we lose and play exciting attacking football. I also enjoy visiting the new and quirky grounds. Can’t wait to see Forest Greens vegan bamboo palace. 
in the main I haven’t enjoyed the Championship, being mediocre, having nothing to play for, overspending on rank average players , constantly facing financial ruin, umbongos etc. 

I don’t believe we have the finances, structure or infrastructure to be.a Prem team again in my lifetime and would rather enjoy a season like last year than endure one like the season before. 

What do people think? (Reaches for tin hat) 

Its a hell of a lot better than this shity pub league. If you could go back 20 years you could probably find a thread titled is the premier league all that?. Truth is as a club is in decline, despite more investment than at any stage in its history.  We had never been in the third tier until mid 70!s, but now this is our third spell in 16 years !

The training ground isnt fit for purpose, the stadium , the second best in the country just thirty years ago isnt in the top 20 now for facilities.Just look at the clubs that have gone past us the last 20 years. teams with poo hole stadiums and poxy followings now have new grounds, huge uplifts in crowds and are better run. A list of clubs that where a million miles behind us in the 1990`s, now are well in front of us, Swansea ,Brighton,Watford, , Fulham, Brentford, Reading, even Luton soon when they move to a new home.The truth is football isnt the working mans game anymore its big business. Money talks and sadly too much of it in this country is in the south. 

Reading the op comment saddens me as it highlights how far we have fallen.So yes if our decline is to be reversed we need to get back to the championship asap. If we do that quickly and  DC remains, I hope he has learnt from the mistakes and spends on the infrastructure of the club, not on lining agents pockets.         . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Some very good points. Thank you. I guess it comes down to whether you are winning or not, irrespective of what League you are in 🤔 

Absolutely. I must admit, as it's a 6hr round trip for me, I did cherry pick games against the weaker teams (in the championship) when we had a good chance of winning...otherwise it seems a much longer drive home!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Some fair points but also in some ways supports my feelings. Personally I would rather have watched our last season than Norwich. Awful feeling rocking up to the ground expecting to be hammered. 

Wednesday very nearly won the League under TF,dont know why the glass has to be half empty..........We have been there in the 90s and hammered most of the best known teams,no reason why,with the right manager,investment & Chairman(- 'advisors') we couldnt do it again....

Dont have to be Norwich..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Good point

NO for me its'THE point.... didnt see any posts about 'Is the Championship all that' when we were in the Championship play off final,or the Year after.....Thats the issue at S6 with some of the fan base for me.....Expectations set so LOW....

WHY? why think L1 is 'ok'? and the Championship not all that? For a start its 14 Million quid a Year TV money coming into the Club LOST if we dont go back,money to bring in players,invest......etc etc

We will clearly go backwards if we remain in this League,we still have to pay the Chairman 2 Million quid a Year Stadium rent,players still on Championship contracts till they run out....and so on..

Mate you are entitled to your opinion,we all are but i find your post very strange.(no offence,not a personal dig,just an observation)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, parajack said:

NO for me its'THE point.... didnt see any posts about 'Is the Championship all that' when we were in the Championship play off final,or the Year after.....Thats the issue at S6 with some of the fan base for me.....Expectations set so LOW....

WHY? why think L1 is 'ok'? and the Championship not all that? For a start its 14 Million quid a Year TV money coming into the Club LOST if we dont go back,money to bring in players,invest......etc etc

We will clearly go backwards if we remain in this League,we still have to pay the Chairman 2 Million quid a Year Stadium rent,players still on Championship contracts till they run out....and so on..

Mate you are entitled to your opinion,we all are but i find your post very strange.(no offence,not a personal dig,just an observation)

You missed my point, I'm saying that we should be aiming for the stars and not be happy with League 1.  The club has massive potential, get in the Prem for a few seasons and there is no reason why we can't dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Keep reading how DM has failed because we didn’t get promoted. How this year was our best chance to get out of this Division or we must get out next year. 
I’ve been watching Wednesday since 1979 and have been blessed to see Sgt Wilkos side in the 80s and witnessed the relative success of the 90s and our sortie into Europe. 
However, in this millennium , my favourite seasons have been “mind the gap” , Carlos1 , this season, CarlosI2 and Sturrockos season. 
i enjoy watching us win more than we lose and play exciting attacking football. I also enjoy visiting the new and quirky grounds. Can’t wait to see Forest Greens vegan bamboo palace. 
in the main I haven’t enjoyed the Championship, being mediocre, having nothing to play for, overspending on rank average players , constantly facing financial ruin, umbongos etc. 

I don’t believe we have the finances, structure or infrastructure to be.a Prem team again in my lifetime and would rather enjoy a season like last year than endure one like the season before. 

What do people think? (Reaches for tin hat) 

Is that why when Rotherham win promotion they make sure they get relegated to then try and win promotion again, endlessly repeating the same mistakes on a two year cycle.😁😁😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You missed my point, I'm saying that we should be aiming for the stars and not be happy with League 1.  The club has massive potential, get in the Prem for a few seasons and there is no reason why we can't dream.

LOL ime missing that many points of late,.....just making my own mate thats all.....doesnt take anything away from points others make.. I knew i was starting to lose it,when i found myself watching Eurovision last night

Just now, parajack said:

LOL ime missing that many points of late,.....just making my own mate thats all.....doesnt take anything away from points others make.. I knew i was starting to lose it,when i found myself watching Eurovision last night

No worries mate.   You can get help I believe to get off Eurovision evil.  Last time I watched it some pratt wanted to be a puppet

• Haha 1

Winning is meaningless unless it’s at a good level competing with your peers.

Being in league 1 is like being a heavy weight boxer fighting light weights (and still drawing/losing half the time), it’s embarrassing and there’s no kudos when we do win.

If it was just about seeing a team win might as well find a pub side that are top of their league and watch that.

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Where do you see this ‘massive potential’? In what way would Wednesday outdo the likes of West Brom or Swansea or Derby, all similar sized clubs?

What do you see Wednesday doing that other clubs can’t without spending hundred of millions? 

The stadium capacity is 34k. Even a sellout every week would put the club around mid table crowd wise in the Premier League. 

Sheffield isn’t Leeds or Manchester. It’s difficult to attract global sponsorship or investors. Wednesday will never join the very top clubs and challenge unless they get backers with unlimited wealth.

Same as many other similar sized clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Why embarrassing?

What, suggesting we should be happier in League One than the Championship because we win a few more games?

Doesn’t even require an explanation, but for a kick off, I think as a football fan if you’re willing to cap your expectations that low (relative to the club you support) then you might as well pack in and find something else to do.

Every football fan should want to compete at the best levels they can. Unfortunately in the modern game the “best level” in this country also sucks for a lot of different reasons, but we’re lucky that the Championship is a brilliant (and somewhat more realistic) alternative.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Owling with laughter said:

Where do you see this ‘massive potential’? In what way would Wednesday outdo the likes of West Brom or Swansea or Derby, all similar sized clubs?

What do you see Wednesday doing that other clubs can’t without spending hundred of millions? 

The stadium capacity is 34k. Even a sellout every week would put the club around mid table crowd wise in the Premier League. 

Sheffield isn’t Leeds or Manchester. It’s difficult to attract global sponsorship or investors. Wednesday will never join the very top clubs and challenge unless they get backers with unlimited wealth.

With negative and defeatist talk like that then we won't even get out of league one.  I tire of these defeatists, please do not contact me again regarding this thread.

Yours in pomposity WAWAW 

• Love 1

We are in trouble if fans would  rather go to Forest green for the novelty factors and it will be a nice day out. 

Go to Alton towers if you want a nice day out or go to a forest green rivers game regardless if Wednesday playing there.

I want Wednesday playing as high as possible. I hate the premier league and the VAR stuff but I want Wednesday in it because I want us competing as high as possible not some mid tier 3rd division club who enjoys a good day out at a smaller club. 

I want to go to the likes of Fulham, Newcastle, Forest etc… and put in a shift and go head to head with them, if we lose then we lose and the players aren’t good enough so we change and go again - the same as this season the players we not good enough to get out of league one so changed will be needed. 

We may aswell go to the national league if we want a nice day out and a possible win. 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

You're saying lets give up on ambition cos it's tough?

Maybe the players should crack open the picnic blanket on the pitch every Saturday.

Glad you're not a sports psychologist.

Maybe set our targets the same as Accrington or Cambridge..?

No but I think the point is the journey is generally more enjoyable than the destination.

Winning league 1 is probably more fun than finishing 18th in the championship.

Winning the championship is probably more enjoyable than finshing 16th in the Premier league every year.

Of course be ambitious and try to do as well as possible but don't sweat it if you don't quite make it. There is alway next season.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

Not the gate reciepts mate,in this day and age its small potatoes,its the TV money & potential sponsorship deals that make it so lucrative.....of course gate reciepes COUNT its the fans contribution but i think the big money available if ime honest is the main reason the fans 'voice & influence has waned......

NO Reason why we cant be up there with the big guns with the right investment,its not as though we havnt been there before is it?

Vardys mob did it,and continue to compete,to get big mate we have to think BIG,and believe in ourselves..

If not whats the point?

eg from my own life over 100+ people paraded at 'form up' to join the Para Regt   8 EIGHT got berets,2 from the same family.........Cpl told me the odds and that there might only be a dozen or so make it......(in between telling me he didnt like me,hard to believe i know LOL)....

I wasnt bothered i told him i would be one of the 12.......So was my Brother age 17...

• Like 1