Is the Championship all that ?

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Yeah been a real ball,relegated last season,struggled all season to get into a play off place, got binned out of the play off semi, & now face the indignity of watching WW battle for a return to the Championship....

While we sit here drinking our cocoa & eating cheese sandwhich's

Opinions differ. I've enjoyed it; my prerogative. You less so; your prerogative.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Opinions differ. I've enjoyed it; my prerogative. You less so; your prerogative.

Ok where is it written that we will have a somewhat successful season next season?

Nobody is saying you didn't enjoy it captain hindsight.

What if, by a chance, we don't have a great start to the season and we are in the bottom half?  It could happen..I won't be skipping down Penistone Road singing Hi Ho Silver Lining.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

Ok where is it written that we will have a somewhat successful season next season?

Nobody is saying you didn't enjoy it captain hindsight.

What if, by a chance, we don't have a great start to the season and we are in the bottom half?  It could happen..I won't be skipping down Penistone Road singing Hi Ho Silver Lining.

No idea.

Who's captain hindsight? Can only speak for myself and I've  not claimed that anyone did say that.

I've only commented on this past season.  

• Like 2

Just now, Teddy Nickelarse said:

No idea.

Who's captain hindsight? Can only speak for myself and I've  not claimed that anyone did say that.

I've only commented on this past season.  

So are you pretty much certain that this next season is going to be 'fun'?  Just enjoy it, as this thread encourages.

As I said, some people probably said the same when we were relegated under Irvine and Turner.

Theres no need to panic but it is a concern.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

So are you pretty much certain that this next season is going to be 'fun'?  Just enjoy it, as this thread encourages.

As I said, some people probably said the same when we were relegated under Irvine and Turner.

Theres no need to panic but it is a concern.

No I've just said that I've enjoyed this season.

• Like 2

I get the sentiment of this post, but at the same time, I think a lot of fans forget that we are a business, and the longer we continue to remain outside of the Premier League (never mind the Championship), the more precarious things could become for a club of our size. 

Football is terribly unsustainable in the modern era financially, and it scares me that we keep yo-yoing back down to League One.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What would be great is if a few raw youngsters were introduced who gradually improved through season 1.

A few more introduced through the following season; A growing confidence that they were improving exponentially through season 2.

A few more additions and more than a little bravado being shown as we sail into the championship with  2 or 3 invited to St Georges Park camps.

In year 4 some big £ offered for our year one intake and the quality of our recruits has us thinking of the Premiership and beyond.

• Like 1

Whilst I get what you're saying that you enjoy seeing us win, I'd rather we got out of L1 as soon as possible. 

We've got an aging squad and whilst Bannan has been an asset to have, he won't be here forever. Gregory is getting on a bit, as is Johnson and Hunt. 

It'll be a lot of hit and miss trying to find the right replacements for them and not all of them will work. Being in L1 means that we won't be able to attract the same talent as we did before. Its alright for a season or two because you've got players who've played in a league above. Yeah they're in L1 but it's the experience that counts. 

Fast forward a couple of years and you lose that experience. Before you know it you're just another Portsmouth or Ipswich. 

What I'd like to see first and foremost is some financial sustainability. Let's get ourselves up and then sort our finances out. No spending large fees trying to get to the prem. We've tried that and look where we are now. 

I'd be happy with mid-table championship if it meant we were financially stable and we had a clear plan and strategy that meant that should we go up, we'd have the resources to compete in the prem at least.

Having said that, I'm also a realist and recognise our failures and overall decline for the past 20 years. I don't personally think we'll see a return to the Premier league for the next 10-15 years. We had a brief flirt with it a few years ago but except that, we've never really tried to get back. I do hope I'm wrong but I guess we'll have to see how it pans out. 

• Like 2

Guest hirstysfags

It's about the fun you are having, not what division you are having it in. 

Winning 4-1 in the sun against Portsmouth in League One surely beats losing 5-0 in December against Liverpool surely?

11 hours ago, HootHoot said:

Whilst I get what you're saying that you enjoy seeing us win, I'd rather we got out of L1 as soon as possible. 

We've got an aging squad and whilst Bannan has been an asset to have, he won't be here forever. Gregory is getting on a bit, as is Johnson and Hunt. 

It'll be a lot of hit and miss trying to find the right replacements for them and not all of them will work. Being in L1 means that we won't be able to attract the same talent as we did before. Its alright for a season or two because you've got players who've played in a league above. Yeah they're in L1 but it's the experience that counts. 

Fast forward a couple of years and you lose that experience. Before you know it you're just another Portsmouth or Ipswich. 

What I'd like to see first and foremost is some financial sustainability. Let's get ourselves up and then sort our finances out. No spending large fees trying to get to the prem. We've tried that and look where we are now. 

I'd be happy with mid-table championship if it meant we were financially stable and we had a clear plan and strategy that meant that should we go up, we'd have the resources to compete in the prem at least.

Having said that, I'm also a realist and recognise our failures and overall decline for the past 20 years. I don't personally think we'll see a return to the Premier league for the next 10-15 years. We had a brief flirt with it a few years ago but except that, we've never really tried to get back. I do hope I'm wrong but I guess we'll have to see how it pans out. 

I think that's the first time I've agreed with you ever

I just don't understand this topic, I can only see people of a certain colour enjoying how our season ended, or just that beaten down they are used to losing now

Edited by MBMitchell
  • Like 1

I certainly don't want us in the cess pit that is the Premier League.

I saw Wolves suggested  line up the other day . No British players and 6 Portuguese, with a Portuguese manager, coaching staff and owner.

I think if you are 40 year old + Wolves fan, you would be struggling to say that they are still ' your team'.  I would imagine none of those players would care about the history of the club. 

I would hate that to be us to be honest, that complete loss of identity. I struggled to identify with SWFC as a fan when we had the likes of Chris Waddle and Des Walker, and had a pool of European players to come in whenever we got an injury..Alexandersson, Ingesson, De Gruyse, Blondeau , De Bilde etc..

Not been to a game for a few seasons, but my happiest times as a fan have been when we were in this league previously, with the likes of Steve Haslam lining up for us. We were rubbish, but it was a hard working, honest rubbish. My first taste of Wednesday was in 1977/78 when we were in this league; I still thought we were brilliant. 

Anyway, what's my point? yeah - be careful what you wish for I guess.' Success' on the pitch doesn't automatically mean contentment and enjoyment as a fan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hirstysfags said:

It's about the fun you are having, not what division you are having it in. 

Winning 4-1 in the sun against Portsmouth in League One surely beats losing 5-0 in December against Liverpool surely?

Why not play in the Northern League than? Or our local pub league? Think of the skill on offer in the PL the players,the overall experience and we have beatLiverpool City, Man Utd when we a PL Club why assume we have to be in L1 to enjoy a game?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HootHoot said:

I think we should be targeting premier league by 2025/26 season or 2027/28 season at the latest. 

There’s no reason it couldn’t be done in 3-5 years if the chairman invests wisely and we hired the right manager.

The guy who was Bielsa’s assistant at Huddersfield has them in the top 6, Cooper has made a real difference to Forest and they will probably win the play offs. Or a manager like Wilder did it in 3 seasons league 1 to 9th in the Prem at Utd.

The standard in the Championship isn’t all that, it’s weaker than those seasons where we were up there. I reckon Norwich, Watford, WBA are due some stagnation rather than always bouncing back and the rest are all very much hit and miss and no different to us before Monk and Chansiri messed us up 

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I certainly don't want us in the cess pit that is the Premier League.

I saw Wolves suggested  line up the other day . No British players and 6 Portuguese, with a Portuguese manager, coaching staff and owner.

I think if you are 40 year old + Wolves fan, you would be struggling to say that they are still ' your team'.  I would imagine none of those players would care about the history of the club. 

I would hate that to be us to be honest, that complete loss of identity. I struggled to identify with SWFC as a fan when we had the likes of Chris Waddle and Des Walker, and had a pool of European players to come in whenever we got an injury..Alexandersson, Ingesson, De Gruyse, Blondeau , De Bilde etc..

Not been to a game for a few seasons, but my happiest times as a fan have been when we were in this league previously, with the likes of Steve Haslam lining up for us. We were rubbish, but it was a hard working, honest rubbish. My first taste of Wednesday was in 1977/78 when we were in this league; I still thought we were brilliant. 

Anyway, what's my point? yeah - be careful what you wish for I guess.' Success' on the pitch doesn't automatically mean contentment and enjoyment as a fan. 

Don’t want any of those foreigners in our club. Taking jobs away from the hardworking British players.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I think we should be targeting premier league by 2025/26 season or 2027/28 season at the latest. 

There’s no reason it couldn’t be done in 3-5 years if the chairman invests wisely and we hired the right manager.

The guy who was Bielsa’s assistant at Huddersfield has them in the top 6, Cooper has made a real difference to Forest and they will probably win the play offs. Or a manager like Wilder did it in 3 seasons league 1 to 9th in the Prem at Utd.

The standard in the Championship isn’t all that, it’s weaker than those seasons where we were up there. I reckon Norwich, Watford, WBA are due some stagnation rather than always bouncing back and the rest are all very much hit and miss and no different to us before Monk and Chansiri messed us up 

Good bait. Should get a few nibbles with that

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Don’t want any of those foreigners in our club. Taking jobs away from the hardworking British players.

100% not what I said, the ' foreigners' were technically better players than ' our own' , which is why we went with that market. 

However, how nice is it see players come through the ranks and break into the first team rather than us just go out and spend, spend , spend? 

• Like 3

Keep reading about what a “club of our size” should be doing. 

What we should be reading is “what a squad of our ability should be doing”

Forest Green won’t be rolling up next season having looked up on Wikipedia at the history of the club and thinking “effing ‘ell it’s Sheffield Wednesday, let’s try and hold on for a draw”

No, they’ll be looking at the opposition team and thinking “we can do these” They won’t be overawed playing in front of about 20,000, in what will appear to them a half empty stadium. 

The club as a whole have to get out of the mindset of thinking about how big a club Sheffield Wednesday is, how many come through the turnstiles and how great the away support is…and so do the fans.

Sometimes how many come through the gate seems to be all what’s important to everybody, especially the fans. 

It means eff all to anybody outside Sheffield and is just something to cling onto as the club slips further and further into obscurity.

• Like 3