Is the Championship all that ?

The fact the championship has generally been poor  for the majority of our recent years has been nothing to do with the league but our own fault . Championship a miles better league . It’s a league we should be in as a minimum. Appreciate what you are saying regarding playing some smaller sides and the fact we tend to be favourites for every game BUT I’d much rather be up in the top flight .

The Prem has changed a lot since we were there ... For the worse imo. 

The past 20 years, we've been a Champ / League1 yoyo club.

We seem to operate at a loss, regardless of which division we're in, but which is more enjoyable to watch? 

Top 6 League1 or mid table Championship? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

You see threads like this and think ‘we really have just given up haven’t we’ 

Im not quite sure he's saying that. I would love to go back to the Atkinson days, having Wednesday players play for England (Carlton etc) but I enjoy football at any level and I don't think L1 is as bad a ride as some make out. 

In terms of the original argument, the counter argument is what we did in the early 90s, yes it would be harder to do now but it's still possible, plus being up there does give us bragging rights, it gives us the chance to win a Cup Final again, see our players play internationally and visit places like Arsenal,  West Ham and Spurs that have what seem to be magnificent stadiums with wonderful atmospheres.  

• Like 4

I think the Championship is the best division in the country.

This feels like an argument you can quite easily make for the Premier League, which I think is legitimately a bit of a “monkey paw” in terms of reality vs the status of being there. But to try and suggest being in L1 is any better for us than the Championship is.. embarrassing, frankly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I would rather be in Championship but I enjoyed most of last season, especially away days, MK Dons, Accrington, Crewe and Bolton were great. 

Even when losing at Lincoln it was a nice day out. 

Fair summary. These days I get the most enjoyment from winning, the day out and spending time with my grown up sons. Opposition is less important and you still get to see goals like Bannan’s and Hunts which get you out of your seat. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

We would be a lot happier with a sustainable Championship club than losing in the League One play offs.

Fulham fans looked like they were having fun.

Can’t argue with that but I wonder if the losers in the Championship playoffs will enjoy their season any more than we’ve enjoyed ours just because they’re in a higher division

i also wonder if the likes of Reading, Hull, Cardiff and Brizzle would rather have had their season our ours?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

I like winning games and and scoring goals in L1 and the championship similarly competitive. 

There are a few games in L1 against big clubs and I find I look forward to them more than games in tiny stadiums against (no disrespect intended) lower league clubs. It's not the status, just the competitiveness I suppose. 

That said, I have no interest whatsoever in the EPL. Watching my team win half a dozen games a season and score less than a goal a game is boring to me. I'm not 12 and don't have posters on my wall and get excited when football brands come to town. 

For me the championship is the last bastion of actual football, not the faux EPL version of the sport, a competitive league with some good football clubs in it. 

Yes, recent memories of the championship not good, but the offs seasons were positive and before that pretty comfortable mid table for a while. It's also shown that little clubs like Huddersfield, Luton (and the pigs🤣) can still compete for play off places. 

Some very good points. Thank you. I guess it comes down to whether you are winning or not, irrespective of what League you are in 🤔 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think the Championship is the best division in the country.

This feels like an argument you can quite easily make for the Premier League, which I think is legitimately a bit of a “monkey paw” in terms of reality vs the status of being there. But to try and suggest being in L1 is any better for us than the Championship is.. embarrassing, frankly.

Why embarrassing?

• Like 2

Crikey, I long for the days when we used to give the likes of Man U and Liverpool a good game , rather than scraping struggling to get a result against teams like Wycombe.  Seeing  Law, Best, Charlton one week and then Lineker or Shearer the next. Not to ention our very own Hirsty, Waddle and Trevor Francis. It's why I still go to Hillsborough. A dream, I know.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

We can be competitive in the Championship but we cant do what we did in 2016 to 2018 and basically have 3 full teams, crippled us and is why we are currently in the 3rd tier. 

You are right, certainly since the 80s. Not sure we can expect to be competitive under the current ownership though. Whether through choice or circumstance seems we won’t invest. 

2 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Crikey, I long for the days when we used to give the likes of Man U and Liverpool a good game , rather than scraping struggling to get a result against teams like Wycombe.  Seeing  Law, Best, Charlton one week and then Lineker or Shearer the next. Not to ention our very own Hirsty, Waddle and Trevor Francis. It's why I still go to Hillsborough. A dream, I know.

Never lucky enough to see the likes of Best  in the flesh. I think those days are gone. Hope I’m wrong. Would love my boys to see some glory.
For now, we all enjoyed watching us win this season way, way more than watching Jos, Monk, Pulis and DM struggle in the Championship

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Its ok for the novelty factor, but I want to see us winning at Anfield, Old Trafford etc again.  

100%. Totally agree. 
If we could win the Championship and compete in the Prem would be amazing for all fans, the club and the city. 
Problem is we are just as likely to go back to losing 6 pointers against fellow relegation strugglers, umbongos and DCs dodgy dealings

I was honestly ashamed to be a Wednesday fan in the relegation season. 
I was proud to be part of the biggest and best League 1 play off semi final this season. 
Just one man’s view 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1