When will our time come?

Looking at the two clubs tonight in the Championship play off semi, Luton & Huddersfield and it still stings me when we bottled it against the latter at Hillsborough under Carlos in the 2017 semi .

That same season, Luton got promoted from League 2, when only 3 seasons prior to that they weren’t even in the football league. It was Barnet & Solihull Moors away. And remarkably here they are against all odds 180 minutes away from the Premier League. 

We haven’t played in the highest tier of English football in 22 years. Since then, the likes of Norwich, Ipswich, Charlton, Wigan, Derby, Bolton, Bradford, Blackburn and Brentford have all had spells in the division. Clubs similar size with similar resources to us but most infact with far far less. 

Even more shocking is teams such as Swansea, Blackpool, Hull and Bournemouth have gone from being in the 4th tier, League 2!!! To the PL before we last played a PL fixture. 

So all this makes me wonder, I’m 28 and the best seasons of football I can remember was that 2 year stretch under Carlos when we came so close. Everything apart from that we’ve either been a mid table/relegation scrapping Championship side or fighting for promotion in League 1. And many fans similar age to me or younger won’t have ever experienced us being a ‘good’ team and living up to the memories commentators often refer to in SWFC history.

When do we think our time will come to compete again in the highest division in football? I love this club and our fan base is incredible but Im so envious when I see other teams living up to their potential whilst we squander ours.

WAWAW.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I think we are now genuinely looking at a 2 division gap between United and us. As disappointing as that would be I would try not to get too disheartened about it. Sheffield football fluctuates like no other city in this country, They will have their moments and we will have ours.

22 years to be out of the Top flight is a very very long time. We have flown for a variety of reasons by the seat of our pants during this time and subsequently tried to tread water and as a result have often found our head below it more often than above it.

Every now and then this Club appoints a manager who changes the ethos and as a result the direction of the club. In my lifetime I have seen only 2 managers do this and they are rightly revered on here as a result. Big Jack and Big Ron. They had bumps along the road but the Chairman and the fans stuck with them and the rest as they say is history.

Both the Chairman and the fans have to do the same now with our current manager. Step forward Big Daz, your time is now and subsequently our time will eventually come again

• Like 8

With Wednesday....

Enjoy the journey.

I can't pin my footy happiness on us getting somewhere.

Better I enjoy now.

20 odd years for a reason.

It'll make our comeback much sweeter.

As for United - they could win the Champions League....and still they wouldn't touch us.

They hate it. We win by simply existing.

Just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

It will. 

We have a worldwide uniqueness and don't change a thing being a Wednesdayite, sure I wouldn't. Wednesday choose you and we as fans embrace it. 

I'm happy to say I've seen us win at Old Trafford, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Goodison, Wembley & in Europe, these days will return. 🙂

WAWAW

• Like 1

I suppose if asked yes or no if I wanted to see Wednesday in the Premier League I would say yes.

But  cant say I am that fussed. I can bore the hind legs off a donkey abut the things I dislike about the Premier League.

One thing I do enjoy about League 1 is 3pm kick off times on a Saturday. (or at least don't get moved abut as much).

3 minutes ago, millomowl said:

It will. 

We have a worldwide uniqueness and don't change a thing being a Wednesdayite, sure I wouldn't. Wednesday choose you and we as fans embrace it. 

I'm happy to say I've seen us win at Old Trafford, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Goodison, Wembley & in Europe, these days will return. 🙂

WAWAW

I am in my 40s and I doubt we will see wins at all the grounds again in my lifetime. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Don’t worry, we’ll be in the Prem before the Blunts. They’ll not get passed Forest, implode next season and finish in the bottom half of the Championship. Meanwhile, Darren will get his players in this summer and we’re on for automatics next season. 

• Haha 1

A lot of other clubs can say the same thing. We had a chance at Wembley and then the following season missed out again. That could have been our cycle for a while. 

One thing is that it appears we are starting to get some of the basics right now in terms of recruitment etc. whether that was forced on us nybbkt being able to spend will depend on the coming seasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I think we are now genuinely looking at a 2 division gap between United and us. As disappointing as that would be I would try not to get too disheartened about it. Sheffield football fluctuates like no other city in this country, They will have their moments and we will have ours.

22 years to be out of the Top flight is a very very long time. We have flown for a variety of reasons by the seat of our pants during this time and subsequently tried to tread water and as a result have often found our head below it more often than above it.

Every now and then this Club appoints a manager who changes the ethos and as a result the direction of the club. In my lifetime I have seen only 2 managers do this and they are rightly revered on here as a result. Big Jack and Big Ron. They had bumps along the road but the Chairman and the fans stuck with them and the rest as they say is history.

Both the Chairman and the fans have to do the same now with our current manager. Step forward Big Daz, your time is now and subsequently our time will eventually come again

You can’t miss Wilko off that list Jim. He also put us on the map as a team and club to be revered.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

You can’t miss Wilko off that list Jim. He also put us on the map as a team and club to be revered.

I thought about Wilko but as good as he was I think had Big Jack had not left him the foundations that he had then he may not has been as successful as he was. You could also say the same for Francis with Big Ron, the team was already there for him to take forward.

7 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Looking at the two clubs tonight in the Championship play off semi, Luton & Huddersfield and it still stings me when we bottled it against the latter at Hillsborough under Carlos in the 2017 semi .

That same season, Luton got promoted from League 2, when only 3 seasons prior to that they weren’t even in the football league. It was Barnet & Solihull Moors away. And remarkably here they are against all odds 180 minutes away from the Premier League. 

We haven’t played in the highest tier of English football in 22 years. Since then, the likes of Norwich, Ipswich, Charlton, Wigan, Derby, Bolton, Bradford, Blackburn and Brentford have all had spells in the division. Clubs similar size with similar resources to us but most infact with far far less. 

Even more shocking is teams such as Swansea, Blackpool, Hull and Bournemouth have gone from being in the 4th tier, League 2!!! To the PL before we last played a PL fixture. 

So all this makes me wonder, I’m 28 and the best seasons of football I can remember was that 2 year stretch under Carlos when we came so close. Everything apart from that we’ve either been a mid table/relegation scrapping Championship side or fighting for promotion in League 1. And many fans similar age to me or younger won’t have ever experienced us being a ‘good’ team and living up to the memories commentators often refer to in SWFC history.

When do we think our time will come to compete again in the highest division in football? I love this club and our fan base is incredible but Im so envious when I see other teams living up to their potential whilst we squander ours.

WAWAW.

Great post and great question. My experience is very different. I started supporting Wednesday under Wilko and then the 90s with fat Ron etc. Incredible days, where teams were genuinely fearful of playing the Owls.

I think Germanbird has captured it. It’s long term planning over short termism. Big Jack, Wilko and the team Ron built, all had long tenures, incrementally improving year on year from the solid core of a very good ‘team’. Over your time, apart from the odd couple of seasons like Carlos’, we have been all about chasing short term goals, then firing the manager.

It will come. As Jim said, we could be at the beginning of that now, although the average age of our squad is too old to have longevity. Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes and the money in the EPL has changed everything.

Your experience is down to one thing and one thing only. Bad management. In the board room and in the dressing room. When we fix that, your time will come.

• Like 3