When will our time come?

It’s hard to say, it’s all on recruitment and the next two transfer windows could get us out of this division 

and the next two / four after that with a momentum of promotion could propel us up there. 

we need a plan with recruitment on what we need to build over the next 3/4 years. This squad isn’t get any younger 

I think where we went wrong in chansiri  reign is we have squandered some right money, too big of wages, too long of contracts, too big of squads on players who have simply had no to little impact 

instead of moving players on we kept hold of them which of course got us into the financial state we was in 

it seems chansiri has learned somewhat and despite us still being one of the divisions biggest spenders in terms of agent fees and wages we seem ( won’t know until next year ) to have brought these more in line with the clubs operations 

I still expect us to break FFP If we don’t raise additional fund in transfer fees but however 

in short what I’m saying is we seem to be signing smarter and getting a lot more for our money 

12 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Looking at the two clubs tonight in the Championship play off semi, Luton & Huddersfield and it still stings me when we bottled it against the latter at Hillsborough under Carlos in the 2017 semi .

That same season, Luton got promoted from League 2, when only 3 seasons prior to that they weren’t even in the football league. It was Barnet & Solihull Moors away. And remarkably here they are against all odds 180 minutes away from the Premier League. 

We haven’t played in the highest tier of English football in 22 years. Since then, the likes of Norwich, Ipswich, Charlton, Wigan, Derby, Bolton, Bradford, Blackburn and Brentford have all had spells in the division. Clubs similar size with similar resources to us but most infact with far far less. 

Even more shocking is teams such as Swansea, Blackpool, Hull and Bournemouth have gone from being in the 4th tier, League 2!!! To the PL before we last played a PL fixture. 

So all this makes me wonder, I’m 28 and the best seasons of football I can remember was that 2 year stretch under Carlos when we came so close. Everything apart from that we’ve either been a mid table/relegation scrapping Championship side or fighting for promotion in League 1. And many fans similar age to me or younger won’t have ever experienced us being a ‘good’ team and living up to the memories commentators often refer to in SWFC history.

When do we think our time will come to compete again in the highest division in football? I love this club and our fan base is incredible but Im so envious when I see other teams living up to their potential whilst we squander ours.

WAWAW.

When we put the club on a realistic level and stop going on about other clubs and concentrate on our own long term development.

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

If we get to the point where effectively two parachute teams are taking promotion spots most seasons, then it's only going to get harder. 

It's been like that ever since parachute payments began. On average 2 of the 3 promoted teams every season have been in receipt of the payments.

This season is no different, definitely 2, maybe all 3.

Pleat, Wilson, and Dave Richards really did shatter all the work Charlton, Wilkinson, Atkinson, and Francis undertook over a decade. 

Some bagged out Francis, but I’m not having it that he started the downfall. He bought in Des Walker, Waddle, and some other good players. Although some players didn’t like him personally. 

I can’t see us ever getting back to these levels 

• Like 1

I’ll never lose hope 

Its strange though how some clubs have been in a far worse state over the last 20 years and still made it back to the prem (Leeds, Leicester, Southampton) whilst some have come from nowhere and done it (Brentford, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Bournemouth)

I always saw Forest as the last remaining club like us who seemed forever doomed to PL exile but even they are on the brink now 

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

I feel the pain of the OP. 

It’s literally just… sad. 

I guess it’s literally about the men on the pitch winning for us… because the fans can’t push the club forward it seems. 

We’re always the bridesmaid when it comes to the important matches… and any and all circumstances not only hurt, but have to hurt in the worst way. We’d have probably lost to Wycombe at Wembley. 

I've long since given up hope we'll ever return to the Premier League. Good things just don't happen to us. Once you accept that, it's easier to enjoy what we have rather than be jealous over what we don't, and never will, have...

We need a new set of heroes, look at the blades when they went from league 1 to prem . Enda Stevens / fleck / basham / baldock / sharp . All players who played for them through these spells . Hopefully get a few in who it really means something to , who want to play every game and play for the badge . I feel the likes of Byers is one of those . Hopefully we can sign 3/4 of these kinds 

11 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

We need a new set of heroes, look at the blades when they went from league 1 to prem . Enda Stevens / fleck / basham / baldock / sharp . All players who played for them through these spells . Hopefully get a few in who it really means something to , who want to play every game and play for the badge . I feel the likes of Byers is one of those . Hopefully we can sign 3/4 of these kinds 

Somewhere along the line we have to either recruit or bring through a core group of players like you mentioned at United who can grow with the club and go up through the leagues. 

I agree that Byers could be one. I wonder if Gregory will stay here long enough to have a similar impact to what Sharp has had across the city. I’m expecting FDB and Adeniran to be more influential next season plus we may start to see the emergence of the likes of Cadamarteri, Davidson, Hall, Ashman, Shipston etc.?

Next season is a massive one for Moore in particular because it will set the tone for him to be here long term or not?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim said:

Somewhere along the line we have to either recruit or bring through a core group of players like you mentioned at United who can grow with the club and go up through the leagues. 

I agree that Byers could be one. I wonder if Gregory will stay here long enough to have a similar impact to what Sharp has had across the city. I’m expecting FDB and Adeniran to be more influential next season plus we may start to see the emergence of the likes of Cadamarteri, Davidson, Hall, Ashman, Shipston etc.?

Next season is a massive one for Moore in particular because it will set the tone for him to be here long term or not?

yes good point it would be nice to have a good few young lads . Brennan/ cadematri/ shipston etc around the first team . As well as signing a few hungry players . No reason gregory can’t do a sharp . Gregory 33 so good few years in the tank yiu would assume. .

glenn Murray 

billy sharp 

lewis grabban 

Jerome (mainly last season ) 

all 34/35 ish and we’re / are still scoring goals 

• Like 2